AM tyres... what you running?

patches

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what are the cost of those spaz tyres nowadays, asking for a friend

The slaughter 2.6 is 800, and they're all pretty much there or less. 

Prices are on the website, btw... 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I'm currently running eThirteen TRS 2.35 front and Bontrager S3 2.35 back.

Also like the Spaz tires, but haven't tried them yet.

Love the E13 TRS + front and rear! They're a little slow rolling but we can live with that for the grip it gives! There just isn't any stock in SA for now... 

Spaz Slaughter instead. BRILLIANT tyre. 

Yoh. They look damn near identical. I'm 50/50 about these kind of tyres. On the one hand I have a new found appreciation for something that rolls lekker. On the other hand there's something reassuring about the familiar feedback of a dhf. Tyre's that roll well always felt a little muted to me. Which is not to be confused with grip. It just feels... 'quieter'.  

The trance feels like a squirrel on caffeine. It darts about skipping over stuff instead of plowing through. Its completely different to me. I really like it, and so I want something that suits it. A fast tyre. But with enough dependable grip on tap when called upon.

For me characteristics in order of importance has always been. 

1. Grip

2. Grip

3. Grip

4. Wear/price.

Now. I'm not so sure. 

Also I might have read that the SS is favored over the Slaughter here.

At least in terms of wear...

Edited by popcorn_skollie

Yoh. They look damn near identical. I'm 50/50 about these kind of tyres. On the one hand I have a new found appreciation for something that rolls lekker. On the other hand there's something reassuring about the familiar feedback of a dhf. Tyre's that roll well always felt a little muted to me. Which is not to be confused with grip. It just feels... 'quieter'.  

The trance feels like a squirrel on caffeine. It darts about skipping over stuff instead of plowing through. Its completely different to me. I really like it, and so I want something that suits it. A fast tyre. But with enough dependable grip on tap when called upon.

For me characteristics in order of importance has always been. 

1. Grip

2. Grip

3. Grip

4. Wear/price.

Now. I'm not so sure. 

Also I might have read that the SS is favored over the Slaughter here.

At least in terms of wear...

Was riding the Slaughter and loved it. Great rolling resistance with loads of cornering grip. Then it died and I replaced it with a Minion SS.

No comparison, the SS wins hands down! Faster, grippier and i think going to be longer lasting too. got the DD casing.

Was riding the Slaughter and loved it. Great rolling resistance with loads of cornering grip. Then it died and I replaced it with a Minion SS.

No comparison, the SS wins hands down! Faster, grippier and i think going to be longer lasting too. got the DD casing.

Now that's interesting.... Hmm. 

Just ordered a DHF 2.3 for the front of the Banshee ... CWC were running a sale, and the stock seemed to have gone very fast as I went back to look for more and they are sold out .... at R550 I can see why.

Looking forward to tossing the HD from the front.

Consider me sold!

I think I wanna run them front and back. 

Was your Slaughter the Gripton Compound?  Because that's made a huge difference. Closer to Maxxis compound now

The slaughter 2.6 is 800, and they're all pretty much there or less.

Prices are on the website, btw...

The 29'rs only come in 2.3 but they are about R600 or so. Bargain price for an awesome tyre.

Was kinda keen on checking the big boy butcher but it seems to be time for Mary! 

Edited by hellocolour

Was your Slaughter the Gripton Compound?  Because that's made a huge difference. Closer to Maxxis compound now

To be fair, no, it was the control casing.

Make no mistake, it was a great tyre and i was bummed when I destroyed it. The SS is just, IMO, better.

Anyone here ridden a Hillbilly [Edit: and no, I'm not talking about that one time you got drunk at a family reunion and hooked up with your cousin from Ventersdorp]? 

Keen on replacing my Der Baron with a 2.6 Hillbilly in the Gripton compound. GRID casing, of course. 

Edited by Odinson

I wanna try it, but apparently (according to a spaz shop locally) "it won't sell"

so of course, we don't get it. That was about 4 months ago or so tho. It looks good. Sorta like a cross between a Mary and a Shorty. 

Anyone here ridden a Hillbilly [Edit: and no, I'm not talking about that one time you got drunk at a family reunion and hooked up with your cousin from Ventersdorp]? 

Keen on replacing my Der Baron with a 2.6 Hillbilly in the Gripton compound. GRID casing, of course. 

No bru. It doesn't rain here. No need for that type of tire.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I wanna try it, but apparently (according to a spaz shop locally) "it won't sell"

so of course, we don't get it. That was about 4 months ago or so tho. It looks good. Sorta like a cross between a Mary and a Shorty. 

I was also keen on one but the newer version is angled more towards wetter / soft / loamy trails so not sure how it'd go. Good news is that it comes in big sizes for big wheels with grid and gripton.