AM tyres... what you running?

patches

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey. I'm not there where you are. I'm here where I am. The wonderfully muddy Kingdom of Belgium. 

Yeah I know. Us okes in the desert down here would have more use for these than a tire that can handle mud.

post-83454-0-58962300-1520516544_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duane_Bosch

STW_TYRES_JULY_17-355-640x427.jpg

beautifully clear side channel. that thing should shed mud nicely. Looks like tallish center knobs, how far to lean over before the side knobs engage? any vague transition from middle to  side like the old maxxis HRs?

beautifully clear side channel. that thing should shed mud nicely. Looks like tallish center knobs, how far to lean over before the side knobs engage? any vague transition from middle to  side like the old maxxis HRs?

U have to really lean/commit to get onto those side knobs, even then your handle bars will probably be scraping the ground. Then again, maybe I am leaning enough and I dont realise it so dont experience any vagueness.

However, the grip is awesome, especially in corners and knobs dont chip or tear.

The rubber also last very very long as you can see in the head on pic, mine are exactly the same after 4 months. That is with the little rubber bits on the edge. They just dont wanna wear off.

Despite reviews about it being vague in wet conditions, I have not had that issue.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Out of interest, what is the inner rim width on your enduro with the 2.6", standard 29mm?

I had the complete opposite as you, while the MM felt good I just found that I preferred the grip on the butcher. I also found the Butcher to have WAY less rolling resistance than the MM. 

Yep, 29mm. Tyre stays on the rim fine and profile looks good.

I am sure that the MM has more drag too, but up front I'm willing to compromise. Out back I prefer something with less drag than a Butcher eg a Rock Razor. Generally I'd rather the rear broke traction before the front. 

I suspect my experience has something to do with the difference between the bikes. The HT steepens up when the fork sags and the weight over the front tyre doesnt change as much as on a dual suspension bike.

Consider me sold!

I think I wanna run them front and back. 

You won't be sorry with the Minion SS if you're looking for a faster tyre out back that also hooks up great in corners, give it a bash - You like grip, it has plenty. I've not run a Slaughter but know they are a similar design and from what I've seen and heard the slaughter compound is a bit harder than Maxxis.

I have been running the SS for the last few months and my initial worry that it'd be very loose out back was soon put to rest. You notice the ease of roll from the rear immediately, if I could wheelie everywhere to keep the front 2.5 WT DD DHF off the ground I would as that is where I really feel the drag. On the first ride with it I remember being very aware that there was a semi slick on the back and to take it easy on steeper stuff and over rocks etc but to be honest after doing a run or two I forgot about it totally as it just wasn't doing anything that alerted me to it - sliding out, not stopping in time or scrubbing enough speed when needed. It grips great, corners like a Minion and definitely eases the peddling. Instead of running them front and rear, maybe rather look at an Aggressor out front, evenly spaced knobs for less rolling resistance and plenty of them for decent traction.

You won't be sorry with the Minion SS if you're looking for a faster tyre out back that also hooks up great in corners, give it a bash - You like grip, it has plenty. I've not run a Slaughter but know they are a similar design and from what I've seen and heard the slaughter compound is a bit harder than Maxxis.

I have been running the SS for the last few months and my initial worry that it'd be very loose out back was soon put to rest. You notice the ease of roll from the rear immediately, if I could wheelie everywhere to keep the front 2.5 WT DD DHF off the ground I would as that is where I really feel the drag. On the first ride with it I remember being very aware that there was a semi slick on the back and to take it easy on steeper stuff and over rocks etc but to be honest after doing a run or two I forgot about it totally as it just wasn't doing anything that alerted me to it - sliding out, not stopping in time or scrubbing enough speed when needed. It grips great, corners like a Minion and definitely eases the peddling. Instead of running them front and rear, maybe rather look at an Aggressor out front, evenly spaced knobs for less rolling resistance and plenty of them for decent traction.

Skollie needs a big knob out front. Aggressor isn't that....

Would a 2.3 dhf minion sit well on a 30mm internal as I can’t find a 2.5 anywhere in 29’r but have found the skinnier one for R500.

If going for an aggressive tyre out front and semi slick at the back, which of Magic+Rock Razor and DHR/DHF+SS would you opt for? Running 29er 30mm wide rims (if that makes any difference to your opinion).