AM tyres... what you running?

patches

CRC has 26" 2.35 HDs for R700 a pair incl shipping, excl duties, add R150 for DHL. If you go with DHL do you need to pay another R150 for the disembursement fee?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here use Mavic tire range at all see its big in Euro but have not seen many here.

I'm running the Mavic Charge 650B on my Spicy. Replaced the Hans Damph Pacestar on the front with this and it has amazing grip. On the back I've stuck with the HD Pacestar and that's perfect for the back. Seems like the bike rolls a bit slower with the Charge as it's a very soft compound but the grip is well worth it.

I need to buy some new tyres for my Trance X2 26er. Running Nobby Nic's at the moment, but thinking about putting a Hans Dampf up front. What are the thoughts on this combo these days? Any draw backs?

I won't put the HD on the back as they are a bit slow rolling, and I still ride up the hills to go down.

Nobby Nic Evo at R520

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/schwalbe-nobby-nic-evo-mtb-tyre-snakeskin/rp-prod29779

CRC has 26" 2.35 HDs for R700 a pair incl shipping, excl duties, add R150 for DHL. If you go with DHL do you need to pay another R150 for the disembursement fee?

I think those ones are performance line, which makes them a bit soft.

Maybe I should even look at the High Roller II, who sells them in CT?

Can't seem to find decently priced Schwalbe tyres is stock locally.

Friends of mine say Crown Cycles has stock of High Roller 2s. 

I'll try Crown tomorrow, otherwise I'll have to wait for easybike to get stock. Importing is too pricey and risky at the moment.

I'm putting in an overseas order soon, express courier so no SAPO. I can land the High Roller IIs at about the following, (possibly less if more are ordered):

MAXXIS HIGH ROLLER II Folding Tyre 26x2.40

R750,00

MAXXIS HIGH ROLLER II Folding Tyre 27.5x2.40

R750,00

MAXXIS HIGH ROLLER II Folding Tyre 26x2.30

R850,00

MAXXIS HIGH ROLLER II Folding Tyre 27.5 x2.30

R750,00

Guest Omega Man

@ Capricorn.

I know this is somewhat off the subject.

What rims would you recommend as replacements for my Enve's on my big bike? I'm leaning towards Mavic 823's again. They're heavy but the old ones I had on my Makulu were never once trued and ran flawlessly right up until the day it was lifted out of my garage.

Oh, just a quick update on my opinion on HDs.

I used to run a 2.35 Pacestar HD in the front (yes I know) with a Rocket Ron 2.25 in the back. The Pacestar has now been moved to the back and a new 2.35 Trailstar HD slapped onto the front.

So far, it really does feel much better behaved. I've only done one dry & dusty ride with it, but most of the Pacestar's sketchiness seems missing. So far so good...

• 2 weeks later...

Found 2 Nobby Nic snakeskins at a LBS on sale for R300 a pop, so I'll stick those on till the new Nic's come out locally or I can find a HD in stock somewhere at a reasonable price. Or even better some High Roller II's

i dunno if it was the tubeless or the new wheelset, but my bike now communicates its grip soooo much better!

unfortunately its not as much grip as i was expecting/remember on loose surfaces like rhodes memorial

spank oozy 295 trails laced to hope pro 2s for the new wheels

ONZA Ibex front

Schwalbe Rock Razor (SG) rear

where did you perceive loss of grip: front and/or rear?

unsurprisingly i guess its the rear giving way first...

although the way it lost grip almost reassuring, very predictable, and i could ride the grip nicely, probably because of some cornering lessons i got from someone once ;)

even the front of the bike, i could play the grip nicely there, im really growing to like these ibexs...

Edited by mada3400

recently stuck the stock  kenda Nevegal on the front of my trance ,thing grips like its nobody's business- if you can get this tyre in 2.3 for front i would think it would work a treat...Anybody try the new nevegal x ?

Also i have been reading up on good all round tyres and a name that keeps popping up is the bontrager XR4 Team as front and XR3 rear...checked the tyres online and they look pretty lambada.