AM tyres... what you running?

patches

The HD's were fine in Morzine where the trails were snotty/loamy.

Riding them in Paarl/Stellies/Welvanpas in the summer is less ideal.

Going to move to Butcher front and Ground Control Grid / Ardent rear. Not paying R800 a tyre again if I can help it.

Yeah, although I have to say that a Trailstar HD ridden at the right pressure (it seems I've found the sweetspot recently) is not bad at all, it actually loses grip pretty predictably on the edge.

The Butcher however is a completely different animal. I rode a 2.35 Butcher/Ground Control hard on a Camber Evo recently and you can feel serious bite from those massive side knobs. Going to be my next combo as well, maybe with a Slaughter on the rear...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Grid version coming soon will have stronger sidewalls and the Butcher is fairly burly.

But yes, Contermans may require you to go for something stronger. A car tyre perhaps?

I was thinking about sourcing a Magic Mary / Rock Razor as a good trail combo. Anyone had any experience of this in Cape conditions? Have heard the Razor is a bit light weight and loses it's  side block pretty fast. 

Been very happy with the Bronson / Wolv' combo. Am about to swap out for a bit a change with a MK front and NN rear because they have been knocking about in the stock pile since the 26'r armageddon started and hell, why not. :) 

I was thinking about sourcing a Magic Mary / Rock Razor as a good trail combo. Anyone had any experience of this in Cape conditions? Have heard the Razor is a bit light weight and loses it's side block pretty fast.

Been very happy with the Bronson / Wolv' combo. Am about to swap out for a bit a change with a MK front and NN rear because they have been knocking about in the stock pile since the 26'r armageddon started and hell, why not. :)

I think Myles (El capitan) is running that combo, and he is very happy with it.

The HD's that bad?

They seem to be gaining a bad rep lately.

I desperately need to replace my rear tyre and that tyre has slowly fallen down the list, near the top now is a Nobby Nic.

Just put a NN 2.4  Pacestar at the back about a week ago. No complaints....Rolls quite good too

I was thinking about sourcing a Magic Mary / Rock Razor as a good trail combo. Anyone had any experience of this in Cape conditions? Have heard the Razor is a bit light weight and loses it's side block pretty fast.

One word. Brilliant. I have the muddy Mary in the front, though, so the magic would be an upgrade for me.

The combination is awesome. The RR is a bit loose in a straight line, but lean it over and it grips like an ANC member to a bottle of Johnny blue.

It pedals beautifully. Far better than the hans dampf that it replaced. Super strong in super gravity Casing. Those small mid knobs do grip the rock and roots, but they do have a weakness - loose and sandy climbs. Tread depth just isn't the same as the Other options.

Having said that - I've only spun out one on a loose climb, and it was probably related to my technique more than anything else. If you get them in super gravity you can run them much softer and then they grip like stink On everything.

Oh. Get the trail star version. Capricorn has had and did not like the pacestar. I think it's just too shallow in the middle for it to be worthwhile

The rock razor i had wasn't bad at all. Doesn't have the same braking traction as a tyre with larger knobs, but hooks up on pretty much any thing. Only reason mine came off was it didn't hold pressure any more. Found a rather long cut across the tread face. Other than that, very good, as good as Magic/Muddy Mary laid over onto the side knobs.  Went from that to the Maxxis HRII.

Hellocolour: I'm a total believer in the Magic Mary. Ridiculously good tyre. But yoikes, its expensive as your always-tyre: all that grip comes at the price of higher wear rates. Its to be expected if you think about it. Pretty much The Perfect race tyre.

Hellocolour: all that grip comes at the price of higher wear rates. Its to be expected if you think about it. 

True dat! R650 odd at Easy bike seems like a good deal. Not as good as the R199 they were selling off the NN at my LBS when they decided 26 was the cycling equivalent of the plague...

For that price I'm going to give them a tonk. If they give up faster than a pommy fan at a cricket match then I'll have to toss up cost / time vs grippy crack habit.  

True dat! R650 odd at Easy bike seems like a good deal. Not as good as the R199 they were selling off the NN at my LBS when they decided 26 was the cycling equivalent of the plague...

For that price I'm going to give them a tonk. If they give up faster than a pommy fan at a cricket match then I'll have to toss up cost / time vs grippy crack habit.

JUST MAKE PROPERLY SURE THEY HAVE STOCK!!!

Sorry, but the caps are necessary wrt easybike.

JUST MAKE PROPERLY SURE THEY HAVE STOCK!!!

Sorry, but the caps are necessary wrt easybike.

damned good advice. Easybike + stock = #rollsomedice

after waiting 2 months for tyres from them I could not agree more.

NO STOCK = NO BUY

grrr. makes the moer-in just recalling the pain of the whole experience. IMHO, their advertising is highly misleading. anyway, at least i got my monies back. .

grrr. makes the moer-in just recalling the pain of the whole experience. IMHO, their advertising is highly misleading. anyway, at least i got my monies back. .

oh so im not the only one who has been waiting a month now for my tyre.....grrrrrr BAD service = won't buy there again

oh so im not the only one who has been waiting a month now for my tyre.....grrrrrr BAD service = won't buy there again

Mawbs: Out of idle curiosity, did you know there was a waiting period prior to making the purchase, and if yes, at which point during the purchase were you made aware of it?

Edited by Capricorn

Mawbs: Out of idle curiosity, did you know there was a waiting period prior to making the purchase, and if yes, at which point during the purchase were you made aware of it?

yes i was told upon initial email that it would be approx 2weeks, that was on Jan16th..

i only managed to pay on the 23rd ( had a hiccup ) then when i enquired on 27th as to ETA i was told end of the week...and 22 emails later all sent by me asking whats happening im still waiting. Never once have the contacted me first to tell me whats going on.