AM tyres... what you running?

patches

On saturday I ended up slashing the rear tyre (Mountan King Tubeless) and it died.

So I figured it's time to look at putting new shoes on the AM bike.

I'm wanting a combo that:

• grips well in various conditions and terrains.
  • Doesn't weigh a ton
  • low-ish rolling resistance
  • long-ish lasting
  • oh, and tubeless
I know that there's nothing that will satisfy ALL those criteria perfectly. But here's a combo or 3 that I have in mind.
  • Mounting King II 2.4 Protection (front), X-King 2.4 Protection (rear)
  • Mountain King II 2.4 Protection (front & rear)
  • Rubber Queen 2.4 UST (front), X-king 2.4 Protection (rear)
Mounatin king II

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/83000.jpg

Rubber Queen

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/29790.jpg

X-King

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/83005.jpg

Those are just the Continental options...

So yeah... what are you peeps running that you have been muchos impressed with?

Love Conti's, Currently  running the the Rubber Queen/ Trail King in 2.4 up front and The Baron in 2.3 at the back.

Make sure you purchase the Apex cartridge  or the Protection versions, always mount tubeless easily to every rim I've owned.

The Trail King on the front is faultless, loads of traction, no invisible feeling from upright to railing, awesome on the brakes.

The Baron on the rear is superb, no surprises what so ever, every drift or skid on the rear is immediately communicated and easy to control, wear fairly quickly but you can easily get two full years of riding aggressively out of them. Just don't take them on tarmac,  you can hear them tearing apart with every peddle stroke.

So glad I never have to contemplate what tyres to run ever again, faultless combination

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice writeup on PB and a side by side pic...

attachicon.gifNN Compare.JPG

Looking at the tread is should roll a but easier and grip more as they said... makes sense.

Problem is there is too much old stock still around making finding a 2015 a problem - at the right price that is...

They are completely different tires...I wonder why they kept the name the same?????

to me they are kind of a mixture of HansDampf and Nic,s ....mabey should have been " DampfNic,s

to me they are kind of a mixture of HansDampf and Nic,s ....mabey should have been " DampfNic,s

good point: the original NN and the current HD share a similar knob pattern. the new NN reflects a knob pattern more in keeping with the Muddy and Magic Marys, and i'm totally ok with that.

Keen to hear your thoughts on how they ride Mawbs. You fitting em front and back?

680g is not bad. SG casings come in the 980 to 1100g range: hefty stuff.

Running original NN Snakeskin front and back on my Trance 26" and damn does that thing wear quickly on the back! Great tyre over all for the Cape conditions I ride, but seriously thinking about changing the back tyre to something that doesn't wear so quick and cost so much! The front holds up much better.

Was considering a Ground Control on the back, but apparently they very prone to side wall cuts...

Love Conti's, Currently  running the the Rubber Queen/ Trail King in 2.4 up front and The Baron in 2.3 at the back.

Make sure you purchase the Apex cartridge  or the Protection versions, always mount tubeless easily to every rim I've owned.

The Trail King on the front is faultless, loads of traction, no invisible feeling from upright to railing, awesome on the brakes.

The Baron on the rear is superb, no surprises what so ever, every drift or skid on the rear is immediately communicated and easy to control, wear fairly quickly but you can easily get two full years of riding aggressively out of them. Just don't take them on tarmac,  you can hear them tearing apart with every peddle stroke.

So glad I never have to contemplate what tyres to run ever again, faultless combination

I've got MTN king 2.4 front and Xking 2.2 rear considering a 2.4 rear but damn it's not a bad combo looking for a Trailking at the moment.

good point: the original NN and the current HD share a similar knob pattern. the new NN reflects a knob pattern more in keeping with the Muddy and Magic Marys, and i'm totally ok with that.

Keen to hear your thoughts on how they ride Mawbs. You fitting em front and back?

680g is not bad. SG casings come in the 980 to 1100g range: hefty stuff.

for now just got the Pacestar for the back, if im happy with that then i might try and get a trailstar for the front

for now just got the Pacestar for the back, if im happy with that then i might try and get a trailstar for the front

is yours 26er or 27.5 or 29?

OK. Advice please. Currently I have a Race King on the back of my Pyga 120. Don't ask how it got there, but needless to say I need more grip cause sometimes that back end of this bike is like my gran's car on ice. (I have a Toro on the front, which is awesome).

So I'm looking at a Maxxi's Ikon, because I still want a light fast tyre, and they're on special. In my limited experience the Ikon should have more corner grip that the Race King? No?