AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Vittoria Goma TnT 27.5x2.4 up front (Winter & Summer)

Vittoria Peyote TnT 27.5x2.25 at the rear in Cape Town Summer (Dry, Sandy & Hardpack)

Vittoria Barzo TnT 27.5x2.25 at the rear in Cape Town Winter (Wet & Muddy)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

only the Goma is listed as an enduro tyre, with the barzo and peyote listed as XC tyres. what's the robustness of those two like?

only the Goma is listed as an enduro tyre, with the barzo and peyote listed as XC tyres. what's the robustness of those two like?

With Graphene used in the Vittoria tires, it can take a beating and remember, Vittoria makes one of the strongest tires out there, the Saguaro, which was used at the SeaOttor last year and that is a XC tire...

Running my lightest setup so far with a WTB Bronson 2.3 up front and a WTB wolverine 2.2 on the back. They are going for their first test in roughly an hour from now. I do however suspect that I'll be changing the Bronson to the rear and throwing my ibex on the front once the trails start getting wet.

Edited by Devon Mans

Running my lightest setup so far with a WTB Bronson 2.3 up front and a WTB wolverine 2.2 on the back. They are going for their first test in roughly an hour from now. I do however suspect that I'll be changing the Bronson to the rear and throwing my ibex on the front once the trails start getting wet.

Having ridden both, I find that the Onza Ibex doesn't have quite as much grip as the Bronson. Rubber feels like a harder compound. Both still awesome tyres though.

Have you got the dual ply WTBs? At least on the rear...

With Graphene used in the Vittoria tires, it can take a beating and remember, Vittoria makes one of the strongest tires out there, the Saguaro, which was used at the SeaOttor last year and that is a XC tire...

How does graphene make it tough?

Thanks. This bit says the G+ stuff favours distance riders:

Early laboratory and practical tests on tires show that adding G+ brings a leap in performance over the best available today. In comparison with ISOGrip, rolling resistance is cut by 12%. Over a 50 km time trial, this would equate to a 40-second time savings. (Test bike with Corsa CX tires mounted front and rear.)

grip is not just about tread pattern and knob depth. It comes down to rebound of rubber in the carcass. If this G+ is making the tyres harder, grip will drop as the ability of the rubber to conform to the ground is reduced. Typically, grip and rolling resistance are opposing ojectives. This can be compensated for to some extent by lower air pressure, but its not a solution; merely a compromise. Will be interesting to see the durometer of their various carcasses using G+, as graphene is apparently quite flexible.

Could the Goma be the ideal rear enduro/dh tyre? hmmm..

Edited by Capricorn

Having ridden both, I find that the Onza Ibex doesn't have quite as much grip as the Bronson. Rubber feels like a harder compound. Both still awesome tyres though.

Have you got the dual ply WTBs? At least on the rear...

No they are both single ply. They came with the wheelset for and extra R700 which was awesome! Only got about 4hrs of riding done with them so far but I'm definitely very impressed, especially with the grip of the Bronson. It only came short a little on some hard pack with gravel but other wise I just point and the bike goes in that direction with no problems. I'm already seeing some wear on the wolverines though.

Thanks. This bit says the G+ stuff favours distance riders:

grip is not just about tread pattern and knob depth. It comes down to rebound of rubber in the carcass. If this G+ is making the tyres harder, grip will drop as the ability of the rubber to conform to the ground is reduced. Typically, grip and rolling resistance are opposing ojectives. This can be compensated for to some extent by lower air pressure, but its not a solution; merely a compromise. Will be interesting to see the durometer of their various carcasses using G+, as graphene is apparently quite flexible.

Could the Goma be the ideal rear enduro/dh tyre? hmmm..

Cam Zink shreds on the GOMA , Saguaro and Barzo combos 

at Sea Otter and Red Bull Rampage

and they do take abuse well over a longer time period than most

enjoying all mine ;)

Hey,

Has or is anybody running a Maxxis Minion DHR 2 as a front tyre?

I'm concidering it as I can get my hands on a 2.3 26" don't know what I'll run at the back yet seing as maxxis 26" tyres are scares.

The nob pattern looks a lot like the High Roller 2 ans the reviews say it makes for a good front tyre..

Cam Zink shreds on the GOMA , Saguaro and Barzo combos 

at Sea Otter and Red Bull Rampage

and they do take abuse well over a longer time period than most

enjoying all mine ;)

you got any in 650b?

Hey,

Has or is anybody running a Maxxis Minion DHR 2 as a front tyre?

I'm concidering it as I can get my hands on a 2.3 26" don't know what I'll run at the back yet seing as maxxis 26" tyres are scares.

The nob pattern looks a lot like the High Roller 2 ans the reviews say it makes for a good front tyre..

I've run the dhr on the front but the 2.5 version. Was as good as the dhf.

Edited by Norman

I have run the maxxis minion dhf on th

e front of my bike for a while now , really happy. Most grippy hard hitting tyre I have ever owned