Intermediate Skills

And break the flimsy wheels?

It is also flippen difficult to hop a 20naainer properly.

yup! those damn longer chain stays!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Potato, potaato.

I think rock n rolla was referring to marathon. If one really wants to distinguish, they should use the UCI designations...

XCO (cross country olympic, the lappy technical racing) or XCM (cross country marathon, the long suffering district road riding).

Generally though, on the hub (and in South Africa as a whole) if someone says "XC", they are talking about XCM (due to the fact that 84% of South Africa's MTB races are marathon races, and 72% of my statistics are made up on the spot... But you get the idea).

On the less likely occasion that they're talking about XCO (6.3% chance)... they usually mention it as such.

I hope that XCO takes off properly here particularly amongst the youth. Please... for the future of technical riding skills...

And break the flimsy wheels?

It is also flippen difficult to hop a 20naainer properly.

Just as it easier to hope a 24" bike instead of 26" bike? Captian obvious.

we need to get this back on (single)track

it has branched into a 26 vs 29(overcomp anyone??) debate.

and we have also covered the xco technicality debate elsewhere on the hub.

I require, plain and simple, an explanation of what the general perception of the requirements are to be named an intermediate rider.

like patches with his stats said - the majority of riders are xcm riders. although, lotsa peeps like to go to bike parks the likes of groenies, rietvlei, northern farm etc.

there are lots of basics that has to be mastered before one can progress to the "intermediate" skills.

some of us probably like to think were intermediate, but were probably, capable beginner.

is being "fast" a sign of being intermediate or even advanced?

i spoke to a roadie yesterday, that has done 2 sani2c races, and het told me outright he sucks at technical riding, does the fact that he is a capable fast rider, that sucks at technical make him intermediate?

then fitness comes into the equation as welll..

all this typing is making me thirsty. oh, look it's beer 'o clock.

we need to get this back on (single)track

it has branched into a 26 vs 29(overcomp anyone??) debate.

and we have also covered the xco technicality debate elsewhere on the hub.

I require, plain and simple, an explanation of what the general perception of the requirements are to be named an intermediate rider.

like patches with his stats said - the majority of riders are xcm riders. although, lotsa peeps like to go to bike parks the likes of groenies, rietvlei, northern farm etc.

there are lots of basics that has to be mastered before one can progress to the "intermediate" skills.

some of us probably like to think were intermediate, but were probably, capable beginner.

is being "fast" a sign of being intermediate or even advanced?

i spoke to a roadie yesterday, that has done 2 sani2c races, and het told me outright he sucks at technical riding, does the fact that he is a capable fast rider, that sucks at technical make him intermediate?

then fitness comes into the equation as welll..

all this typing is making me thirsty. oh, look it's beer 'o clock.

Refer back to my original post/opinion and yes to me its being capable to do certain skills comfortably and fitness. If you can bunnyhop a bike 1m it doesnt mean you can finish a 80km race.

but the best test would be to join a race where you stard just after the elite and A seeded riders, make sure this race has ST and enough technical sessions. If you can easily stay with your group especially on the technical sections then you are probably intermediate. Houwhoek or Greyton challenges or equivelant type riding. 50% jeeptrack 50% singletrack give or take.

Possibly riding with cleats would make you an intermediate rider, also being able to hit a berm/jump properly. You should be able to fix/ service the basics on your bike and even know what all the parts are called.

It does not matter if the cat is black or white. If it catches mice, it is an intermediate cat."

now, if it catches all the mice... it would be a good cat....

:D :D

Bunnyhop (properly)

Not walk a 30cm dropoff, but rather float it

Be able to at least navigate the top section of Vasbyt (not necessarily gap it, but just negotiate it)

"shift" mid-corner (use your feet & thighs to shift the bike sideways so that you manage to turn tighter through a corner than you would ordinarily be able to)

clear a 1m gap jump.

Be able to ride a 50km Marathon / XC ride without being tickets afterwards.

Bunnyhop (properly)

Be able to at least navigate the top section of Vasbyt (not necessarily gap it, but just negotiate it)

"shift" mid-corner (use your feet & thighs to shift the bike sideways so that you manage to turn tighter through a corner than you would ordinarily be able to)

clear a 1m gap jump.

Damn it, back to beginner status :cursing:

Bunnyhop (properly)

clear a 1m gap jump.

Hey cool, I'm "intermediate"......or is that "average".......I'll try harder in future. :D

To me the intermediate label is a tad ambiguous. Once a rider has moved out of beginnerdom, I think there are a number of levels of intermediate skills before one becomes an expert. The reason I say this is because it is quite easy to progress from beginner but will take years of committed skills practice to get up to an expert level. To even understand how an expert will flow on any trail, you will already be starting to learn it as it is applying all the skills, all of the time.

Most people in this inbetween phase should be working towards or being able to:

- Have a good understanding of balance to ride comfortably down steep stuff

- Have good pedalling technique, make good power and have finesse to be able to ride up steep stuff with technical obstacles

- Manual and bunnyhop in order to hop up and down ledges

- Do small drops and jumps

- Track/trail stand

- Have decent cornering technique for single track and berms

- Know how to unweight front and back wheel in order to handle rough stuff

- Pump terrain to maintain momentum

- Save yourself, get out of trouble and learn how to fall

The more advanced an intermediate rider becomes the longer, steeper, higher, faster all of the above skill becomes. As for fitness... by the time you have these skills in your quiver you will be fit enough. You will also have done enough riding to do basic mechanicals yourself... ;)

Edit: didn't look right without bullet points.

Edited by slick

Some of us may and probably will in my case stay at this not 'beginner' but clearly not an 'expert/advanced' level for ever ....... I am just not gonna be a bunny hopping, 'wheelieing', DJ/DH trick rider ever but I'm OK with that :thumbup:

I went on Sunday to brush up on my intermediate skills(J-Hop, Manual & wheelie), needless to say I was left in a lot of pain and woke very sore on Monday. A J- Hop, as in the video clip posted here is not easy to do on a large MTB, with SPD and a high seat post.

Any recommendations on the best way to wheelie, manual & J-Hop?