Best Chain lube for MTB

Pieterg

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Smoove lube and did all of the above. I wash my bike religiously, cleaning the drive train with prepsol etc. Thing is that degreasers don't dissolve Smoove. After a while it looked like my cluster and top derailleur wheel were baking mud cakes.

I'm back to using my leftover Finish Line Wet lube, but I think after this it's on to the world of motorcycle dry lube and home made wet lube concoctions for me.

I had exactly the same and use Motorex (wet and dry) now...

Clean and dry chain, put a small drop on each chain link (bottom section), spin chain backwards few times while holding chain between fingers (bit messy but okay), spin chain backwards few times while holding a rag around chain (clean chain outer of most oil), good to go with PROPER lube around the chain rollers and half-bushings.

post-69920-0-30182000-1422632853_thumb.jpg

Rock n roll for the win! But expensive and hard to find. A very similar product is ravx lube, about half the price from Cyclelab.

Trying smoove at the moment, i wonder if this is not squirt in a different bottle!!!

I notice the directions say don't wipe off excess, but I conducted an experiment. Wiped my chain didn't wipe my partners chain and my chain had no gunk build up at all.

I got a great Lube from sportsmans warehouse for R39

Its a 50 ml bottle

i think the 100 ml is 79 :-)

That is the cheapest and nastiest lube in the world. I threw the bottle out after trying it once. It just dried up on my chain and left no lubrication whatsoever - chain was running dry on that ride

Edited by Schnavel

Rock n roll for the win! But expensive and hard to find. A very similar product is ravx lube, about half the price from Cyclelab.

Trying smoove at the moment, i wonder if this is not squirt in a different bottle!!!

I notice the directions say don't wipe off excess, but I conducted an experiment. Wiped my chain didn't wipe my partners chain and my chain had no gunk build up at all.

Always wipe!

Quite a Long read for me to realise what I'm using is doing its job. When my bottle of rock n roll finishes I'll try mixing something of my own.

Thanks guys

I had exactly the same and use Motorex (wet and dry) now...

I bought the Motorex Dry lube. May I ask how you apply this with the spray nozzle and ensure it goes only on the chain? I tend to find it sprays too big an area?

• 1 month later...

I have been using squirt, but I am starting to think that dry lube is not the way to go, the chain is dry with "mudcakes" all over my drive train after each ride. Has anyone used Ballistol? It is kind of all purpose oil, but I use it on my firarms, and it works great on them.

Glock I'm pretty sure you're using way too much lube if you're getting any mud cakes. Squirt (wax lubes) work by sloughing off when dirt collects, and it really works unless you apply too much.

Apply only one drop of lube per chain roller at the the bottom to a perfectly clean chain and allow at least an hour for it to dry. I find that after 50+km rides the chain does start to sound dry, but it's not something to worry about and I get ridiculously long life (2000+km) per chain before they begin to show any wear. The best part about squirt is how easy it is to clean without harsh degreasers.