Arrested today after buying Stolen Goods off The HUB

Stuart Queripel

The investigation is ongoing... The chap that i bought it from swears that he never stole it - he got it from a customer. All i want is my name cleared and my money back...

don't you have some paper-trail, that will clear your name, or a proof of bank transfer at least.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

don't you have some paper-trail, that will clear your name, or a proof of bank transfer at least.

That makes no difference. It is illegal to be in possession of stolen goods. Simple. The law is not immediately concerned with how you came to be in possession of them, just that you are, which is illegal.

Duuuude that sucks @ss!!!!

When I sell stolen second hand goods I make sure

they fell off a reputable truck & dont have a blarry

tracking device in them :whistling:

& I have over 100 posts so U know it's legit!!

I have always maintained that LOTS of stolen goods are sold on the Hub

It has nothing to do with with being a first time seller etc blah blah blah.

There are okes here who have been selling stolen goods for ages and are prob regarded as fine upstanding hubbers

I agree completely - there are many questionable offers where people have very expensive stuff and don't seem to know what it is they are selling... As someone who buys and sells a lot of stuff, I am extremely wary of who I buy from when there are deals that might appear to good to be true. I have also assisted with recovering 2 stolen bikes through being wary (including one from the infamous Neil). On the other hand, there are people who just have money to throw around and don't really care what their rear derailleur is called.

If the goods are less than a year old when buying second hand, there should still be a receipt of the original purchase for guarantee purposes. I would guess anyone buying a garmin from a retailer would keep the receipt in a bottom drawer if it was a legit purchase in the first place.

I agree completely - there are many questionable offers where people have very expensive stuff and don't seem to know what it is they are selling... As someone who buys and sells a lot of stuff, I am extremely wary of who I buy from when there are deals that might appear to good to be true. I have also assisted with recovering 2 stolen bikes through being wary (including one from the infamous Neil). On the other hand, there are people who just have money to throw around and don't really care what their rear derailleur is called.

Mines called Candy

Yes, i got arrested today... or should i say had a rather nasty experience involving a police man, Garmin Employee and a Garmin Edge 705 i bought from a chap last year May who worked for Fritz Pienaar Pretoria... I now am no longer the owner of "my" Garmin and I'm out of pocket what i paid for it... Its very disappointing... There was no way of me knowing that it was stolen merchandise... I even took it to the Garmin agents a few week after i bought it for them to put some new maps on for me... Over a year later and I'm hauled over the coals for buying stolen merchandise.... Sad DAY! :thumbdown:

sorry to hear that it's you they caught, but Garmin SA are doing nothing for joe in the street by doing it this way. Had my unit stolen in burglary last year, asked if there is any backup to trace it being used in future in this regard. Nope, wasn't bought in this country(was living in the UK when i bought it there).Go BRYTON

That makes no difference. It is illegal to be in possession of stolen goods. Simple. The law is not immediately concerned with how you came to be in possession of them, just that you are, which is illegal.

If you have evidence of a paper trail this can be used in a small claims court to attempt to recover your monies, and clearing your name at the same time as you will then prove that you were unknowingly in possession of stolen goods.

If you have evidence of a paper trail this can be used in a small claims court to attempt to recover your monies, and clearing your name at the same time as you will then prove that you were unknowingly in possession of stolen goods.

Yeah, that's a long way down the road though.

Yup but the OP can contact admin maybe they still have a backup of the PM's and the original advert, Also if the OP has enough evidence, proof of payment, e-mails, etc, he can open up a civil case against the seller for damages and costs.

That way you get your moola back and the original seller gets a fat layer bill.

When I went to report my bike stolen, they wanted the original receipt of purchase before opened a docket ... if you're buying second-hand and don't have one (and I think they want the store receipt), it seems you're not going to have any luck getting a case number.

I presume the guy who reported it stolen has one? Because frankly, only reporting it in August seems incredibly fishy to me.

And if you've been in contact with the guy you bought it from, he should do the gentlemanly thing and return the money.

Maybe he bought it from the customer who says it was stolen?

Edited by LeTurbo

Bought a complete bike off thehub recently. Asked for the original receipt then called the cycle shop to confirm the receipt was genuine. Just a bit of morals and CYA (cover your ass)

Sorry about you ordeal!

Edit: grammar.

Edited by Smolster

sorry to hear that it's you they caught, but Garmin SA are doing nothing for joe in the street by doing it this way. Had my unit stolen in burglary last year, asked if there is any backup to trace it being used in future in this regard. Nope, wasn't bought in this country(was living in the UK when i bought it there).Go BRYTON

I still say thats bull becuase all the unique id's are contained within the XML code, so if anyone is uploading anywhere all they ave to do is an intrusive text search and they will pinpoint the gpx files made from your device. They are just too bloody lazy to get involved with these things.

Who? Neils wheels?

He he......I dont think he has sold on here...

But he is another story...how he gets away with what he does appalls me.

Yes i have the bank transfer receipt, so i will use that to prove that i bought it from this chap in Pretoria. No naming and shaming yet as he recons he still has the box at home and still knows the customer that he bought it from... so lets see what this evening and tomorrow brings... Could be quiet embarrassing when the cops walk into his work tomorrow and arrest him....