Add your Noob Questions

The Ghost

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do they not use the same length of spokes all round on wheels ? So that some get to feel more special than others

Is Epic hard ? It's like an egg and comes in over easy too

How far is the August ? 31 days and just about as many days of training needed to finish it!

Why steel ? Steel is REAL!

What is wrong with rim brakes ? It's like the ugly twin. It's there but no one wants to use it when they've been with the hot one!

Do I ever need to pump my tyres. Only if you actually intend riding your bike

Why do we have to replace crank bearings (bb's)? Only if you don't smaak your bottom getting cranky

Can I use my skewers to grill pigeons ? Yes, the pigeon tastes better if you park the bolt side in the 'port van nought'...

Why do they not use the same length of spokes all round on wheels ?

Is Epic hard ?

How far is the August ?

Why steel ?

What is wrong with rim brakes ?

Do I ever need to pump my tyres.

Why do we have to replace crank bearings (bb's)?

Can I use my skewers to grill pigeons ?

As long as you do not kill a snake wiff a spade :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Do you think Lance was really doping ?

Lance is actually a performance drug pusher who moonlights as a professional athlete so as to access his target market.

Why is it so hard to climb hills? This is a MTB cycling forum not a mountain climbing one

Does smoking affect my cycling? Its safer to keep both hands on the bars at all times, you put yourself at danger every time you take a drag

Why don't other cyclists greet me? Perhaps you fugly

:w00t:

As long as you do not kill a snake wiff a spade :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Or shoot a baboon with a paintball gun............. :whistling: :whistling:

Edited by eddy

Tubehunter : Yeh bunny hop, maybe its in my head, but i just seemed to put in less effort with more height on the hard tail.

Tubehunter : Yeh bunny hop, maybe its in my head, but i just seemed to put in less effort with more height on the hard tail.

I found the same when I moved to full susser.

I think its because when you push down the shock takes the pressure you build up.

I would think that it means it would spring you back up when it de-compresses, but it doesnt seem like it. Im no physicist though.

Mtb noob here.... Rebound setting - how the heck do I know where it should be on the bunny/tortois scale (rock shox recon silver, 85kg). Sure there is some trial and error here but in general terms which way would you go for different types of trails / terrain?

I found the same when I moved to full susser.

I think its because when you push down the shock takes the pressure you build up.

I would think that it means it would spring you back up when it de-compresses, but it doesnt seem like it. Im no physicist though.

It's entirely that. If you have a rushed action the shock will oppose your effort whereas on the HT the rigid frame wont absorb any effort. If you preload the shock and manage to start the hop process earlier, time the release properly you can make the shock and it's rebound assist you actually.

The best example of preloading is to watch motocross riders doing supercross when they perform a seat bounce jump. (Take off sitting down) They compress the shock as much as they can going into the jump so that the shock rebounds going off the lip of the jump and making them jump higher and further so that they can clear double and triple rthym sections easier.

You one of those kind of women?

It's a recent conversion.... I've also started wearing tie dye

Peace bro

Start with it in the center setting. Ride a bit and feel if the rear is "kicking up" (rebound is too fast), or if you are not getting enough traction over the bumps, or if you feel like the shock is not responding [not recovering in time] (rebound too slow).

Remember:

More rebound damping = slower rebound

Less rebound damping = faster rebound

It's entirely that. If you have a rushed action the shock will oppose your effort whereas on the HT the rigid frame wont absorb any effort. If you preload the shock and manage to start the hop process earlier, time the release properly you can make the shock and it's rebound assist you actually.

The best example of preloading is to watch motocross riders doing supercross when they perform a seat bounce jump. (Take off sitting down) They compress the shock as much as they can going into the jump so that the shock rebounds going off the lip of the jump and making them jump higher and further so that they can clear double and triple rthym sections easier.

Thats what I was thinking, you can get it so right sometimes, but look/ feel like a muppet when you get it wrong :unsure:

Thats what I was thinking, you can get it so right sometimes, but look/ feel like a muppet when you get it wrong :unsure:

Ye its like all your energy just ends up to nothing, Rigor Mortis style FTW :w00t:

Exactly. It all comes down to the timing. If you start the hop action on the bike whilst the shock is still compressing you are moving in the exact opposite direction trying to hop and you will not go as high. Get that properly wrong and it looks funny as all hell. Real goon riding style of note! If however you time that to the moment of the rebound the shock will be pushing you up off the ground too.

Make sure you get this timing right on the flat before trying to hop over logs et al. The chance of going OTB is much greater with the assisted rebound if the back wheel tags something and because of the delayed pause waiting for the shock to preload it's often the case when you first do this!

Edited by Tubehunter