Introducing PowerCal a new kind of Power Meter

I don't think this tool will be any beter than a heart rate monitor. This is like saying max HR is 220 - your age. Everyone is different so one cannot have a generalized set of data that can be used to create an accurate (be it fairly accurate) power figure.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PowerTap, Good support for the product and questions very well answered. Should work with my Garmin Edge 800. Will do for my needs. Put my name on the list as well for a "PowerCal".

yes it will work with your Garmin 800 as well as the 310XT, 910 XT, 500, 705

I don't think this tool will be any beter than a heart rate monitor. This is like saying max HR is 220 - your age. Everyone is different so one cannot have a generalized set of data that can be used to create an accurate (be it fairly accurate) power figure.

Exactly... the whole point of power meters is for instant accurate power measurement. One of the big drawbacks of HR training is that it takes your heart 30-90 seconds to respond to heavy intervals. So i'f you're doing sprint intervals, your heartrate is only going to hit its peak by the time you're finished the interval. With a power meter, you can instantly see your numbers

Will have a powertap on my 29er at the Walkerville,Thanks a million Powertap(Cycleops),D you are super and your service is even better. Thanks it's nice to do business with people how care. See you on the 13th

Will have a powertap on my 29er at the Walkerville,Thanks a million Powertap(Cycleops),D you are super and your service is even better. Thanks it's nice to do business with people how care. See you on the 13th

pleasure, we have a few loan wheels we can have ready for people that are interested road and MTB 29" and 26" let us know if anyone is interest in trying one out.

Exactly... the whole point of power meters is for instant accurate power measurement. One of the big drawbacks of HR training is that it takes your heart 30-90 seconds to respond to heavy intervals. So i'f you're doing sprint intervals, your heartrate is only going to hit its peak by the time you're finished the interval. With a power meter, you can instantly see your numbers

That is exactly it. I bought my Powertap for that very single reason. Shorter interval training and instantaneous power values that where constant irrespective of how my heart rate drift. I think it is a very interesting marekting strategy, however it goes against all the principles of basic power training, i.e. accuracy and instant readings. In my opinion, rather save for the real thing or train on heart rate because both are more accurate.

If you take HR which already drifts and then apply it to a generalized set of data that is not specific to you, you end up with a set of drifting data that is generally less accurate than what you started with. Bad science!

Sorry Powertap, but any product is only as strong as the science behind it so if you can convince me otherwise I would be very interested in learning.

Yebo... :thumbup:

GREAT NEWS!!!!! the first test PowerCal has arrived in SA this morning, i will be putting it though its paces straight away!!! not too long till we get stock!!!!!

i hope to be able to start uploading some graphs. i will be doing all the test rides on a PowerTap so a great chance to see how they compare!!!!

exciting times!!!!!

pleasure, we have a few loan wheels we can have ready for people that are interested road and MTB 29" and 26" let us know if anyone is interest in trying one out.

Wish I could get one in Cape Town :-(

Sorry Powertap, but any product is only as strong as the science behind it so if you can convince me otherwise I would be very interested in learning.

Mmmmm debate questions go unanswered.

+++++++++++++++++++++++1,Can't wait for mine

so did you not buy the powertap?

so did you not buy the powertap?

It is a loan/demo wheel from PowerTap. They have road and mbike wheels availble for testing