1*9 on a 26" XC bike

NotSoBigBen

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lest ye all forget my SiL owns a bike shop hence the amount of bike/bike stuff I have :devil:

Test Pilot :thumbup:

Just thinking, clearly I can shorten the chain before fitting it .... I guess I can wrap around chainring and big rear plus 2 links like you do on a 'normal' 3*9?

Means less chain 'slap' another plus :thumbup: and another few grams off :ph34r:

Edited by NotSoBigBen

Just thinking, clearly I can shorten the chain before fitting it .... I guess I can wrap around chainring and rear plus 2 links like you do on a 'normal' 3*9?

Means less chain 'slap' another plus :thumbup: and another few grams off :ph34r:

Soon you will be NotMuchLeftofBigBen

Just thinking, clearly I can shorten the chain before fitting it .... I guess I can wrap around chainring and rear plus 2 links like you do on a 'normal' 3*9?

Good plan, old man.

Was just roaming the old interwebs and damn okes do some REALLY strange things .... how about 3*1 :eek:

Clint go check out SRAM's new 1*11 groupset .......

I never use all the 3x8 gears on my XC bike. So I have a 2x9 upgrade in the works. And technically, the 2x9 works more cleanly that the 3x8. And the 1x* better than that.

I've seen talk of deciding based on where you are riding which I suppose is the main criteria. I often use the one side of my range on the steep downhills and like the security of granny on some of the uphills. I suppose the reality is I could probably do without some of the lowest (?) gears but it's always nice knowing they are there when the legs are hurting! :)

Adding to TNT's reasons... Extra clearance for the technical stuff; extra training cos I'm now forced to use one ring on the front and don't have a granny option anymore; cleaner bars and just plain simpler.

Not sure I'm fully understanding the extra clearance? Are your referring to using a small ring so more clearance that way? How many teeth does the "normal" big ring on a 3*8 have?

I get the more training argument but I suppose if you were disciplined you could just not use it if you had it. But then yeah, why have it.

OK stoopid pratt these are the reasons I am doing it ...

I already have a 'normal' 3*9 HT MTB and bought this frame at a good price (cracked and I had it repaired). I have a perfectly good old alu HT for donor parts.

So I need to ask. We used to have 21 speed bikes. Then we had 24 speed. Now we have 27 speed... so with this move towards less gears would we be heading back towards 21 speeds. I suppose in asking that, there is no need to answer, as the main difference is that we are getting less front rings while gaining at the back while it used to be the other way around.

I fully understand the second bike to mess around with idea. I can just not imagine having this as my "main" bike.

Since this bike would only be used for my training rides through a specific route over which on my niner I only use 1 chainring I decided to just put on what I need for that.

Makes perfect sense. My rides vary dramatically so I quite like the security of having the extra gears if I need them. Rather battle away in granny than jump off and walk... :)

And as someone said today its simpler, more reliable and lighter ......

It's all about those grams... :D Yeah, makes sense that the less components you have the more reliable it becomes.

Lest ye all forget my SiL owns a bike shop hence the amount of bike/bike stuff I have :devil:

Ah, now we get the most valid reason! You should have said this first and left it at that ;)

Thanks for the responses.

Not sure I'm fully understanding the extra clearance? Are your referring to using a small ring so more clearance that way? How many teeth does the "normal" big ring on a 3*8 have?

I get the more training argument but I suppose if you were disciplined you could just not use it if you had it. But then yeah, why have it.

yeah, extra clearance at the bb. Helps dramatically when it comes to clearing logs and rocks on my xc bike. A normal "big blade" has between 38 and 44 teeth. My single front ring is a 32 tooth. In terms of sizing, the 32 gives me approx 40mm extra clearance when comparing to a normal 2x or 3x setup. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it is...

And yeah. I hadn't used my granny for 6 months prior to taking it off anyway. So it's not as if I was using it anyway. Also wasn't really using the big ring, unless you count riding on the road (which I find boring)

yeah, extra clearance at the bb. Helps dramatically when it comes to clearing logs and rocks on my xc bike. A normal "big blade" has between 38 and 44 teeth. My single front ring is a 32 tooth. In terms of sizing, the 32 gives me approx 40mm extra clearance when comparing to a normal 2x or 3x setup. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it is...

I hear you. There is a half buried log on the new section of the blue trail at Giba that has been worn away by chaps chain rings hitting it as they go over, and 40mm would help a lot there.

And yeah. I hadn't used my granny for 6 months prior to taking it off anyway. So it's not as if I was using it anyway. Also wasn't really using the big ring, unless you count riding on the road (which I find boring)

Yip, I sometimes ride into Durban from Pinetown and going down the back freeway the big ring comes in handy but not often I get into that on the trails.

The way I figure it: if I'm in granny gear its quicker to get off and push (and you don't look like a cadence tool)

I haven't been on small ring in over a year, or big ring for that matter.

And I can outsprint NSBB on my last outing a few months ago with my current setup, :ph34r: :nuke: :oops:

so I'm also keen to try a build like this

Glad you crossed out the "look like" part as I think I have made it clear many times that appearances and image mean little to me ;)

The way I figure it: if I'm in granny gear its quicker to get off and push (and you don't look like a cadence tool)

I haven't been on small ring in over a year, or big ring for that matter.

And I can outsprint NSBB on my last outing a few months ago with my current setup, :ph34r: :nuke: :oops:

so I'm also keen to try a build like this

You and hundreds of others mate but ............ Come try that again now I have a sixfiftybee ;)

IT IS ABOUT THE BIKE!

Ok done! Couldn't line up the chain guide, will have another go some time. Test ride hopefully Monday :)

post-271-0-06647000-1341664806.jpg