What do you think is the toughest MTB trail in SA?

Wipeout2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only been on a bike for 5 month or so, and I tried Thaba Blue route to see how it is, and halfway up Wendell's Way I got confused. Was I mountain biking or hiking.

I hated it but it is my target is to get to the top without having to carry my bike.

Thaba +1

Km for Km Thaba wins hands down

900m ascent in a 27km lap on some great technical track

Edited by GT1

Toughest race for me yet was Sabie ultra this year. The heat with over 3000m of climbing made it almost unbearable.

I have it secondhand that the ultra distance at Induna this year was so hard that only 5 people finished - is that true? That would make it even worse than Sabie.

Would dig to try Attakwas - aka hardekwas... :whistling:

There were only 4 finishers on the Induna ultra. I did the 75 (78) which was about as tough as the Sabie Marathon but definitely tougher than day two on Sani.

There were only 4 finishers on the Induna ultra. I did the 75 (78) which was about as tough as the Sabie Marathon but definitely tougher than day two on Sani.

Day 2 of Sani isn't really tough, the 1st 30km is downhill :)

Edited by GT1

Redsone crazy croc was the most difficult race to date .Took me 3 hours to ride 25km .Most DNF to date.Probably the reason they stopped the race

A mate of mine finished the 25 in just over 4:30!

Kliprug single track up from Contermans is a wicked trail (Tygerberg trails in Cape Town). Would love to know who hasn't yet touched the ground with their feet on that climb - technical and narrow.

howzit DH. I manage to get up there with no foot touches 75% of the time, but it depends how tired i am at the time. it's also getting more eroded now so becoming harder not easier.

The best in the country can only be...Welvanpas in Wellington and if you don't agree, its time for you stop bunny-hopping sidewalks because you don't know .

yup, Welvanpas is awesome. white route followed by yellow route is a killer, but the reward of all that downhill single track is worth it.

Sho, I don't know...thaba blue is heavier than anything I have done at VG(concrete slabs...pofadder...daggapad...oom piets...tant miems...greek church...river). What you must also remember is that you don't have as many recovery points at Thaba so fatigue sets in much quicker and concentration goes for a ball of dwang.

Rouxtjie, download this (Maaaarten's upload from our ride yesterday), ride it, call me afterwards....... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/199502543#.UALw1D0BjE8.email

The best in the country can only be...Welvanpas in Wellington and if you don't agree, its time for you stop bunny-hopping sidewalks because you don't know .

hey that's my favourite pastime (bunny hopping sidewalks)

Eden Classic in Thaba Nchu, had me squealing like a stuck pig. I thought the end had come. I will never try it again.