What do you think is the toughest MTB trail in SA?

Wipeout2

Thaba blue I assume.

The one where you bleed out of your ears after one lap...and see ghosts of dead relatives on your second. Ja I think its the blue one, became colourblind somewhere in dem hills

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know. Doing Thaba for the first time this weekend. Will be doing a single lap of the green.

Somehow I think the single speed should stay at home.

Attakwas

It's an old Elephant trail the Khoisan discovered which they used back in the day to take their live stock through the Outeniqua Mountains into the Klein Karoo :whistling:

The Swazi Fontier.

I haven't done it myself yet but friends who rate Thaba as 'not too bad' say that they really struggled with the technical uips and downs. These are guys who are amongst the top 10 at Mankele Avalanche so not exactly noobs.

Local(gauteng) = Thaba Trails...it will make you cry like the little girl you are

Race = Magalies monster(the "monster" climb is actually the easiest part of that route), the sand kills me

Magalies Monster is tough, I have done it twice, but in my opinion it doesn't come close to Attakwas. The atta is like Magalies Monster x 1.5.

Its not exactly a trail per se, but I found the Ouberg Pass in the TransKaroo to be the hardest bit of riding I have ever done. Although, that may have something to do with the 190km already in the legs and doing it in the dark. :cursing:

18.5km @ 11%, with kicks up to 20%. Nightmarish stuff

Edited by Kevin vd Merwe

@rouxtjie if you come join us at Thaba for the SS champs beers on me :clap: (Scotsman is now hoping you will be too tired to drink lots)

Don't forget the old Giants Castle race. That one is also a tough one. So far it is the only race I can't get my dad back to.

Pofadder at Van gaalens...... but the wrong way up. I've had vultures circling me there :o

+1

I've only done it once, but the right way up. Dunno if I'll ever do it again... :mellow:

@rouxtjie if you come join us at Thaba for the SS champs beers on me :clap: (Scotsman is now hoping you will be too tired to drink lots)

Don't forget the old Giants Castle race. That one is also a tough one. So far it is the only race I can't get my dad back to.

Sweet, I will join you, but not to ride, will come and support...free beers for the whole day...booom.

@4M41_Jero....eish I hear atta is a blixem...something like the toughest 1day race in SA...

Toughest race ? I don't know, but something like Attakwas , maybe.

Toughest MTB trail? difficult question, very relative. Here is a suggestion though, for those of us who are stuck here in GP.

Go up the side of Doreen ( no tar allowed), then down the DH track ( bring big nuts, I shrank mine down to olive pips down that. Then loop across to the 4x4 track, some serious rocks and bits there, then down the side of Krugersdorp hill ( actually not bad) then across to Kings kloof for the black route, then gently home for a little cry, use SS 32x18

Toughest race ? I don't know, but something like Attakwas , maybe.

Toughest MTB trail? difficult question, very relative. Here is a suggestion though, for those of us who are stuck here in GP.

Go up the side of Doreen ( no tar allowed), then down the DH track ( bring big nuts, I shrank mine down to olive pips down that. Then loop across to the 4x4 track, some serious rocks and bits there, then down the side of Krugersdorp hill ( actually not bad) then across to Kings kloof for the black route, then gently home for a little cry, use SS 32x18

That sounds like an awesome ride, got any more info? (like where the DH track is etc, general directions)

Thaba trails by far... last weekend my mates step dad crashed there. 1x dislocated shoulder, collarbone, finger. 2x broken ribs.

Thaba is the tough because of the steep hills but it is certainly not too bad technically. My other half was able to ride all the descents without a problem.

There are some trails I have ridden at Van Gaalens, Voortrekker Monument and Mankele that are much harder.

As I posted before, I have heard about trails in Swaziland and also Lesotho which make the above Feel like child's play.