Scott Scale 29 Pro-what would you change???

tunariaan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuna... that is an awesome bike... if I had to change something, I will agree with others that you need to change the brakeset. XT 2012 with Ice-Tech rotors will change your life!!!! And down the line when you need to give it a bit of a service bleeding XT is soooo simple and easy.

Other than that, maybe change out the Scott components over time, i.e seatpost, stem and bars would go...

:clap: then it will be SUPER schweeeet!

Good for You. Mine was actually weight by lbs. And weighed again at other shop. same reading.

If you

know you components you have no doubt that this is well possible. The question is; how much you willing to pay.

I have personally weighed the Scott Scale 29 Pro, and it's not 10.2kg's in standard spec, maybe on paper. Certainly not close in size XL.

My new BigTop 29er, on paper should weigh 10.40ks it's closer to 11.00kg's in real life... maybe I should take some air out my tires?

if I may ask. what does these bikes cost.?

Mine is custom build.

The Frame Weigh between 940 and 949 grams.

I build it to be light, not quite where I wanted it. I was looking at a 8.2 but sitting at 8.8

Custom cost me all up 72k.

Wheelset alone cost 24k.

Whats your issue?

Chap asked what we would change,?

Dont make me out as a person that lies.

Edited by Andro

if I may ask. what does these bikes cost.?

Mine is custom build.

The Frame Weigh between 940 and 949 grams.

I build it to be light, not quite where I wanted it. I was looking at a 8.2 but sitting at 8.8

Custom cost me all up 72k.

Wheelset alone cost 24k.

Whats your issue?

Chap asked what we would change,?

Dont make me out as a person that lies.

LOL...you seem to be the one with the issues...does your bike come with a tissue holder?

Just made a comment that stated weight is sometimes/often understated.

I'm sure your bike is awesome, hope it's all you expected it to be.... you have to ride it, sounds like you are hung up with it's cost and weight and have very little to say about it's performance, or how it makes you FEEL!

Edited by TheV

I have personally weighed the Scott Scale 29 Pro, and it's not 10.2kg's in standard spec, maybe on paper. Certainly not close in size XL.

My new BigTop 29er, on paper should weigh 10.40ks it's closer to 11.00kg's in real life... maybe I should take some air out my tires?

:whistling: - a 'pro' tip for you V, pump 'em wiff HELIUM ;)

LOL...you seem to be the one with the issues...does your bike come with a tissue holder?

Just made a comment that stated weight is sometimes understated.

I'm sure your bike is awesome, hope it's all you expected it to be.... you have to ride it, sounds like you are hung up with it's cost and weight and have very little to say about it's performance, or how it makes you FEEL!

I've got the bike, everything I expected.. I ride and enjoy it...

You need the tissue holders. not adding weight.

Edited by Andro

<p>I have had this bike for a few months and i am really enjoying it, it's an size xl and with the tubless and heavier wheels it is about 10.9kg's

i was a bit lighter but with the rocket ron tyres i had endless tyre problems , these maxi icon's so far has been great and i will also use them for the Pioneer

This bike climbs really well and i love it on the xc races, although it a big bike and a big size i mange it well

I am 1.93 and weighs 87kg's

If you had to change anything on this to make it more racing fit what would it be and why

the weight seems to be ok for me but lighter might work i just wont know for now

Would you change to a bigger rotar for example ?

Please tell me what you think?

Here is some of the original info

Thanks

Product name Bike Scale 29 Pro Sizes S, M, L, XL Frame Scale 29 Carbon, IMP3, HMF NET, Tapered HT, PM 160 Disc, Carbon dropout, PFBB92, replaceable hanger, SDS shock damping system Fork Rock Shox SID 29 RL Air, Tapered steerer, Pop Loc remote Lockout, rebound adjustable, 100mm trav Headset Ritchey Pro Tapered 1.5“ - 1 1/8“, semi integrated 50 / 61mm Rear Derailleur Sram X0 carbon long cage, 20 Speed Front Derailleur Sram X9, High Mount dual pull 34.9mm Shifters Sram X9 Trigger, multi%2

seat post, and stem KCNC scandium save weight and will cost about R1500 probably save 35 grams on the stem and 70 grams on the seat post that will be the cheapest 100 grams

KCNC skewers 44 grams you'll save 40 grams over standard skewers if you have QR front and back cheap weight loss R300

After that you start looking at R5 grand for wheels which will save you easily 250 grams

then you can save 200 grams with the right tyre choice that is still reliable, R 1000 another good weight saving for the price

After that you could look at the shock but then the price starts climbing R5 grand to save maybe 100 grams ( not worth it )

Brakes and rotors R4-5 grand 100 grams

Groupset now the price starts climbing R8 grand full XT which I reckon is lighter and better than X9 but probably marginal weight saving, but if you gonna spend on brakes not a bad way of upgrading although XT brakes not that light, the 2X10 crank is definitely lighter

As you can see the first 500 grams will come relatively cheaper ( 7800)

your next 200 grams looking at 10 000 and I reckon the next 100 will cost in the region of 8-10 Grand

thats a rough guide at new prices so you could find things a little cheaper

I agree with this to a point. I do believe that having a decent bike will make you faster, but this whole weight watcher biking phenomenon is crazy. A decent frame, and components that will let you put power down effectively will be cheaper, and in my opinion, nicer to ride than these weight weenies. And the guy in the video makes a valid point about crashes.

This last suggestions has the guy suggesting spending R30-40k to save what? 800g? Hey, its your money, but damn that seems unreasonable. I'd rather just go to bathroom before I ride, but hey, that's probably because I don't have R40k to throw at a bike.

Edited by Kevin vd Merwe

Valid point Kevin.

We all do things to get the edge on the next rider, light bike, nutrition,shaving legs ect..

If you can afford it and its what floats your boat, go for it.

Same apply to cars, cell phones, tabletts and all the other bling.

Hey guys

Thanks for all the advice on this topic

Like i said in my first post this bike was never 10.2kg like they say on the website

That with shitty rocket ron tyres and also in the smallest frame without pedals

i have bottom of the range shimano pedals, that i like but my first change will be to carbon look pedals

i have already changed my tyres and i will rather be a bit heavier but not wate time with flats in races

Wapad gave some good advice so i will prob go the seatpost stem and handle bar way first, i am happy with the wheels and wont change that for now

Any idea what good in scanduim and where and what websites to look at?

Maybe links if you have

Thanks

Eggbeater 3 pedals, Stan's or American Classic wheelset, Formula RX brakes. Solid kit that is light but won't cost a fortune but also actually provide a tangible difference. Just saving weight on parts doesn't seem to be your goal here, you want better functoinality.

You can try the KCNC cockpit stuff as suggested but I would be weary at your weight, failures have been reported.

Also try some ESI grips if you haven't allready

Saw what you said about the wheels now.

If you do get new wheels you can use the current ones to train or fit different tyres :thumbup:

Edited by Weight Weenie

yes, i still have the original grips that i dont like too much, i will change to esi and see how it goes, is it that sort of faom grip that most riders are using at the moment

What are they like in wet conditions?