clicking noise

Nofearnofun

Hi Guys,

I have a clicking noise that has developed when I pedal, the noise was getting louder and louder as I rode until someone sugested I spray Q20 into my BB and the noise stoped for a while. Any Idea's as to the seriousness of this noise, where to look and what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhetorical Question Farly.....

Stand in the corner. :cursing:

Have BB checked out. Priced around R250 upwards, depends on brand ect...

Just service the BB - its prob dry at a certain spot.

Waterproof grease will prob solve your problem - check that the nylon holder that the bearings run in isnt perhaps broken.

Thanks guys, I will have to take it in somewhere before next weekends trail seeker. Any suggestions on a good(&cheap) LBS in Benoni as I have just moved here.

What type of BB do you have on the bike, internal, external and if external what type?

What type of BB do you have on the bike, internal, external and if external what type?

Im not to clued up on this. If I had to guess I would say Internal. The bike is a Merida matts 300, does this help?

Hi Guys,

I have a clicking noise that has developed when I pedal, the noise was getting louder and louder as I rode until someone sugested I spray Q20 into my BB and the noise stoped for a while. Any Idea's as to the seriousness of this noise, where to look and what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance!

Had the same problem and the "click" only happend on the on the down pedal stroke of the drive side. Turned out it was the driveside bearing in the BB that was toast, fitted a new enduro one....smooth as silk.

Im not to clued up on this. If I had to guess I would say Internal. The bike is a Merida matts 300, does this help?

If it is this bike:

http://www.merida-bi...Matts+TFS+300-D

Then you have an octalink:

This system, designed by Shimano, was the first successful alternative to the older square taper. The Octalink system uses a larger and stiffer spindle with eight splines. The splines provide a greater contact area between crank and spindle for a stiffer interface. Octalink exists in the marketplace in two variants, Octalink v1 and Octalink v2. The difference between the two can be seen by the depth of mounting grooves on the bottom bracket spindle. XTR, 105, Ultegra 6500 and Dura Ace 7700 cranksets mate to version one bottom brackets, while later mountain bike designs use the deeper-grooved version two. The system is proprietary and protected by Shimano patents and licence fees, thus few third-party manufacturers (such as Blackspire) produce Octalink cranksets. While some competitors to Shimano (especially Campagnolo) continued to use the older square taper, others worked together to create a similar ISIS design as a free alternative. Although Octalink is a successful and reliable three-piece system, Shimano's newer two-piece systems integrate the spindle onto the right crank

post-12678-0-90452000-1341581033.png

I used to have a square taper BB on my bike and the cups that held it in place inside the bottom bracket would sometimes need taking out and a wipedown and a smidgen of copper grease would get rid of that click. Those units are also cheap to replace.