Best MTB Grips ?

zniper

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have big hands (more like plates) and the thin grips don't do it for me. I end up getting sore wrists and hands all the time. So I traded up and got me some of the Ritchey foam lock-on grips.

Oh. My. Word. Contoured for the hand, lekka thick and tough foam, and they last (reasonably). They also have a bit of a lip that fits between my index & middle finger, so I can grip the bars more solidly. For R 150 or so, you can't go wrong.

Tried the Ryder lock ons (think n thin) - no go. Stock grips - too stodgy and grip worth shaite in the wet. These Ritcheys are the bomb. And no more sore hands either...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/39259.jpg

I have big hands (more like plates) and the thin grips don't do it for me. I end up getting sore wrists and hands all the time. So I traded up and got me some of the Ritchey foam lock-on grips.

Oh. My. Word. Contoured for the hand, lekka thick and tough foam, and they last (reasonably). They also have a bit of a lip that fits between my index & middle finger, so I can grip the bars more solidly. For R 150 or so, you can't go wrong.

Tried the Ryder lock ons (think n thin) - no go. Stock grips - too stodgy and grip worth shaite in the wet. These Ritcheys are the bomb. And no more sore hands either...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/39259.jpg

Thanks for the heads up , I also have rather big hands , are they in stock at most Lbs?

Here's them on CRC :

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=39259

So irritating when my fingers go all the way round normal sized grips and touch my palms , makes it hard to comfortably hold the bars.

Also difficult to control the bike nicely to bunny hop and stuff

Been looking for ages , even started a thread about it a while back but no luck.

The Lizard Skins Lock-On Peaty Grips are to skinny for me but damn do they last long and tough aswell

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/24585-2.jpg

Edited by Skylark

Have a set of Bike Smart lock-on grips on the trail bike and Fizik XC on SS.

Also have a choice of ODI, Fireeye and Ragley at the moment to try out. Dying to get my hands on the ESI grips.

After reading all the positive posts about the ESI grips, I got myself a set today. What a mission to get them on, but they are on! :-) Will use them tomorrow morning!

• 5 months later...

Where is the pain in the wrist?

Could be that your bars need to be rotated a bit so your hand is angled a bit different which in turn will ease some pain.

Where is the pain in the wrist?

Could be that your bars need to be rotated a bit so your hand is angled a bit different which in turn will ease some pain.

Difficult question to answer, Steve Bowman at cyclelab specifically set my handlebars in the correct position as i understand many ppl tend to set it incorrectly.

On long rides (60km+) ive now taken to taking 2 ibucods (pills with 400mg ibuprofen) which works like a dream... but i dont think its good in the long run. Ive seen in this post that most ppl push the ESI grips but i thought the wing support might assist me

Sorry, to also answer your question: the pain is on top of the wrist (i understand it feels similar to carpal tunnel, although ive had it checked and tests came back negatively - was a loongg time ago) but the pain persists. Def worse after a hard day of riding.

Edited by CJVDM

thanx Cycle tech Midrand.Some got the wife a set aswell

Just changed from my stranded Scott grips to these. Made a huge difference because my hands kept getting numb. Getting blisters now though.

I've got the Ryder version of the ESI, and its definitely a bit inferior to the original. ESI's are much softer and mould to your hand a bit better. Tried the ESI's on a friend's bike. But I guess u pay for the superior product.

I've got the Ryder version of the ESI, and its definitely a bit inferior to the original. ESI's are much softer and mould to your hand a bit better. Tried the ESI's on a friend's bike. But I guess u pay for the superior product.

I really rate the Ryder grips, they last far longer than Esi grips IMHO, because the Esi are so soft. My Ryders are going for 15months now!

I really rate the Ryder grips, they last far longer than Esi grips IMHO, because the Esi are so soft. My Ryders are going for 15months now!

Do you ride hard enough?