Chris Froome

Shebeen

Sitting around the telly on Sunday it was a flick between TdF and Wimbledon warmup. I eventually (got re)moved to the other room once the final got going proper. The crowd was split into Federer and Murray camps, with many going with the Middletons and following their imperial lead for a british winner. Thing is, I've always been a fan of Federer and it's not just because he's arguably the greatest ever and at the same time a true gentleman. The South African link is definitely part of it. For those who didn't know, his mother is a born and bred Saffer who met his dad whilst he was here on business. She moved to Switzerland where they then bred a tennis legend. He could actually have been playing all this time under our flag, as unlikely as it sounds.

Shoot back to the cycling world, and Chris Froome is a similar yet totally different story. I'm sure he feels a lot more affinity to Kenya than RSA, but his links to our country should be celebrated. the fact that he started his pro career here means whatever success he achieves will always have local support.

BUT here's the big conundrum. do we really have much of a claim or is Chris Froome a British success story? He is actually only riding his second tour de France, the first being way back in 2008 with Barlowworld. Without 3 years at Sky with seemingly unlimited resources would he be close to where he is?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sitting around the telly on Sunday it was a flick between TdF and Wimbledon warmup. I eventually (got re)moved to the other room once the final got going proper. The crowd was split into Federer and Murray camps, with many going with the Middletons and following their imperial lead for a british winner. Thing is, I've always been a fan of Federer and it's not just because he's arguably the greatest ever and at the same time a true gentleman. The South African link is definitely part of it. For those who didn't know, his mother is a born and bred Saffer who met his dad whilst he was here on business. She moved to Switzerland where they then bred a tennis legend. He could actually have been playing all this time under our flag, as unlikely as it sounds.

Shoot back to the cycling world, and Chris Froome is a similar yet totally different story. I'm sure he feels a lot more affinity to Kenya than RSA, but his links to our country should be celebrated. the fact that he started his pro career here means whatever success he achieves will always have local support.

BUT here's the big conundrum. do we really have much of a claim or is Chris Froome a British success story? He is actually only riding his second tour de France, the first being way back in 2008 with Barlowworld. Without 3 years at Sky with seemingly unlimited resources would he be close to where he is?

Actually he has more of an affinity with S.A. he loved Kenya to bits, but that's where his brother Jeremy hangs out.

Why is it an issue that Chris Froome has more of an affinity to Kenya than SA? It seems that its the commentators of the TdF who seem to forget he really learnt to ride here. He was born there and grew up in Kenya. He attended school in SA (was at school with him). Sure being in SA opened doors to him but he did represent Kenya at the Commonwealth Games (Top 40 as a 19 or 20 year old...) The guy has raced locally on numerous occassions after joining Sky as well :) He returns every year in December for the DC and off season training :)

Ja he is as British as Zola Budd.

Think he lives in / based in Italy during the season (?)

He is a citizen of the world, and good for him.

Monaco

Completely impressed with his riding abilities! Go for it Chris! Awesome for the sport to see you chaps making the showing you are!

His Konica/Minolta days are a thing of the past now.

I recall Andrew Maclean saying he was "nothing special" when he was here, so kudos to him and his latent talent that got exposed through Barloworld and Sky.

Dave Brailsford is a bit of a genius, I think!

I am sure that John-Lee Augustyn would be in the same position, had he not had such a horrendous run with illness and injury.

The guy is a star now, and the fact that he still comes back to train and race here speaks volumes.

Who cares where he comes from.

We (South Africans) would like to "claim" him and his performance, but...

If Chris Froome stayed here, her would still be here.

So, good UP for him, "untying" him from our bureaucracy and making it BIG TIME in Europe.

Well done Chris Froome.

I don't care whee he comes from, but more about where he is going, and that is to the TOP of our sport.

I think the mountains will decide the selection.

Brailsford won't make the same mistake twice - if Wiggo cracks (which is looking unlikely, but it is still early days), they will throw their weight behind Froome.

If Wiggins does not crack, it will be difficult for him, as he will be working for Wiggins. Difficult, but not impossible, as witnessed by the Schlecks last year.

:mellow: An interesting character, Froome. Was several years with Barloworld before their demise and never really featured very much with them. Could be that he was not given much freedom, BW then being effectively run by Italians. Only since being with Sky has he come to the fore, and then only since last year. Is it better training or more of a different mindset with Froomy?

TNT1

No.

He should drop kick Wiggans down the Colombier and go for the top step.

That would be the best result