Chris Froome

Shebeen

Unless yellow are under serious threat, Sky will have Wiggo as nr1.

And, Wiggins have lots of time to play with.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We might as well all take a chill pill.

Whether Sky let's Froomie go or not, we all know who the real winner is in the end of the day.

I noticed before the final ascent how nervous Wiggins was around Chris, I saw Frank looking in his direction, they know, we all know who the strongest man is.

I wrote this in the other thread.

Froomie is loyalty personified.

Awesome post, always good to read of sports people that work hard and don't just rely on talent

I her that funnyface on SABC 2 Afrikaans news calls him Froehm. Weird, do they not coach these guys???

Article from the UCI website

Great performance from Kenyan after stage at World Cycling Centre

Young Kenyan Chris Froome made his mark in the Under-23 international cycling world last week as part of a mixed UCI team.

With a second place in the second stage and a victory in the fifth stage, Chris Froome finished 20th in the final ranking of the Giro delle Regioni – the fourth event in the important six-race UCI Under 23 Nations Cup.

The UCI points won at this event will help Kenya in its bid to qualify for the UCI Road World Championships in Stuttgart from 25-30 September 2007. Kenya currently lies in 25th place out of 28 nations competing in the UCI Under 23 Nations Cup.

Chris is the first Kenyan athlete to train at the World Cycling Centre since 2002 when the centre welcomed a Kenyan coach.

“Chris asked if he could come and train with us because he wanted to represent his country in the UCI Under 23 Nations Cup,” said UCI coach Michel Thèze. “We had already noticed him a year ago and our continental advisor in South Africa had also brought him to our attention. He wasn’t an unknown”.

During his short time at the WCC, Chris trained with the centre’s cyclists and accompanied them to two races, including the Under 23 Liège-Bastogne-Liège race on April 21.

However, his main goal was the six-stage Giro delle Regioni which began on April 26.

After an average first stage (20th), Chris came back to finish the 2nd stage in second position in the same time as the winner, Slovenia’s Grega Bole. The real glory came with his victory in the difficult 5th stage with the finish line at the top of a tough climb.

“When it’s tough, he’s very strong – above the others,” said Michel. “But he’s not a technical rider yet. He fell four times during the tour. Two of his falls came in the third stage, costing him 1min 20. When you see that in the final ranking he is only 1min 25 behind the winner it isn’t difficult to do the maths…”

Michel said that Chris had shown an interest in returning to the WCC at the end of the season.

“We will have to see what happens next. He was extremely grateful to have the chance to come here and he fitted in very well with the other cyclists. It’s not always easy but he had no problems.”

Chris’ result was part of a solid performance by the UCI mixed team from Dalivier Ospina (COL) 12, Haijun Ma (CHN) 16, Sung Baek Park (KOR) 39, Abdelkader Belmokhtar (ALG) 46, Hyun Wook Joo (KOR) 60.

http://www.independe...ck-7939534.html

Froome is already the first African-born pro to set foot on a Grand Tour podium, in the Vuelta. Now he has every chance of doing the same in the Tour de France. As far as inspirations go, that can hardly be faulted.

What about Robbie Hunter?

What about Robbie Hunter?

He's won stages. He's never been on a GT podium.

"@TweeterSagan: Mr Froome & Mr Twiglet get on like house on fire. Or, in this case, like hotel just doused in petrol by disgruntled Ghent-born mod."

Wiggo is 32, Cuddles has proved that it's easier to be a 1 year winner than it is to back up the next year. Wiggo will run out of motivation soon, too many sacrifices having to ride this well without juice.

Froome will be a team leader on Sky soon, he just needs to wait and sky will give him his chance. He could do a lot worse, imagine joining with a guy like Johan Bruyneel at RSN. End up like Jakob Fuglsang and get left out because you are not one of the favoured riders today....

Saw Brailsford on Eurosport this morning, very diplomatic response to the questions about Froome being stronger than Wiggins.

I her that funnyface on SABC 2 Afrikaans news calls him Froehm. Weird, do they not coach these guys???

And last year Cadel was called "Kaadil".