Chris Froome

Shebeen

We need more characters like Lemond and Hinault, Chiappucci et al.

Really made cycling a spectacle. Exciting.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need more characters like Lemond and Hinault, Chiappucci et al.

Really made cycling a spectacle. Exciting.

Amen. Everything since Lance has been as tedious as reading the business section of the Sunday Times. Except for that Tour Contador won when everyone (including Lance) in his own team was against him...

Well, the problem as I see it, in future tours will Froome be in the same top condition he is in right now?

Injury, illness, etc can all change the future. Pity he cannot use his current form to go for the WIN!

Wiggens has proved he is the best time trialer, no question. Froome has proved he is very strong in the climbs and may well make back time lost in time trials. Both have had the support of a fantastically strong team working their butts off to keep the other GC riders under pressure (even the TDF multi-stage winning World Champ has been ferrying bottles/food back and forth to them). CF is doing his job, and so is Wiggens. Hopefully they will finish 1 and 2 this year.

If BW cracks on the mountains and cannot stay with an attacking nibali or evans, then CF will most likely be asked to keep up with the attacks and keep the Sky banner flying.

waiting eagerly to see...

i just hope that what happened in the Vuelta does not happen again.

Reading Brailsford's comments, he has to deliver a Sky win in Paris. The name is the Sky shirt is not the issue. The team is rightfully riding for Wiggins at the moment, but if he falters, I do believe Froome will be let loose.

I reckon Twiggo would be able to spin that 11 - 36 XT cassette he has for the hills at a higher pace for longer than FroomeDog could sustain in short sharp attacks. Twiggo would just grind FroomeDog down. Not so muchslow and steady as fast and steady.

I reckon Twiggo would be able to spin that 11 - 36 XT cassette he has for the hills at a higher pace for longer than FroomeDog could sustain in short sharp attacks. Twiggo would just grind FroomeDog down. Not so muchslow and steady as fast and steady.

you believe that but all evidence in Spain was to the contrary - and nothing seen on this tour would suggest otherwsie either...

Pity we may never know.

you believe that but all evidence in Spain was to the contrary - and nothing seen on this tour would suggest otherwise either...

Pity we may never know.

You're right about this tour. Evans and Nibali have again preferred to attack only at the summit or on the descent so neither FroomeDog or Twiggo have really been tested for any length of time.

I can't think Brailsford would have chosen W over F to lead the team if F was so much stronger.

You're right about this tour. Evans and Nibali have again preferred to attack only at the summit or on the descent so neither FroomeDog or Twiggo have really been tested for any length of time.

I can't think Brailsford would have chosen W over F to lead the team if F was so much stronger.

I think he made that call based on the perception that this tour route is all about the TT's. i don't think they expected Froome to be as competitive as he was in the TT... but thats just speculation.

Anyway they made the wrong call in Spain - so no reason to think he couldn't get it wrong twice.

you believe that but all evidence in Spain was to the contrary - and nothing seen on this tour would suggest otherwsie either...

Pity we may never know.

at the vuelta, wiggo was still only coming back from injury. who knows how much of an effect that made?

Team orders.

Debate it in any manner you want... Froome seems arguably the (unsung) hero of the greater team cause.

Wiggins is certainly a class act and after today there are 3 stages left of the tour with only 2 min 14 sec separating the two.Anything can happen.

What if...just what if ....the final day on Sunday dawns and the gap is small enough for Froome to close....will Sky orders be to keep Froome on a tight lease and let Wiggins win?

Team orders.

Debate it in any manner you want... Froome seems arguably the (unsung) hero of the greater team cause.

Wiggins is certainly a class act and after today there are 3 stages left of the tour with only 2 min 14 sec separating the two.Anything can happen.

What if...just what if ....the final day on Sunday dawns and the gap is small enough for Froome to close....will Sky orders be to keep Froome on a tight lease and let Wiggins win?

correction :tight leash

Seriously? Nobody wins the GC on the last day, not even in 1989 when Hinault trailed Lemond by 8 seconds was there a GC scrap on the Champs Elysee stage.

Not a hope in hell that Froome will challenge Wiggo for the win I'm afraid.

A more mountainous Tour next year is inevitable though, and Sky will have to think seriously about who gets to lead the team.

Seriously? Nobody wins the GC on the last day, not even in 1989 when Hinault trailed Lemond by 8 seconds was there a GC scrap on the Champs Elysee stage.

A more mountainous Tour next year is inevitable though, and Sky will have to think seriously about who gets to lead the team.

I think you mean Fignon, and he led Lemond by 50 seconds going into the final-stage time trial on the Champs Elysees. Lemond beat him by 58 sec. Hinault retired in 1986.

I guess you are right.

It was also once said though that no one will win the tour de France seven times....that may become a fact if Lance goes down on doping charges....but that's not the topic of this thread so lets leave it that.