Groenkloof Bike Jacking

klevin

I won't take this thread off topic but we are free to discuss the current state of the country compared to where it was elsewhere.

what comments are you referring to?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to add to the dad who took his son to ride bike at groenies big up to you for investing that time in your child .as to the assholes who actually want to criticize these parents rather add something positive or back off.

Any feedback or extra details?

I have to add to the dad who took his son to ride bike at groenies big up to you for investing that time in your child .as to the assholes who actually want to criticize these parents rather add something positive or back off.

Sorry to be an asshole but why not answer the question, its not unreasonable?

I have a 9, nearly 10 year old, and wouldnt dream of letting him ride off on his own.

How long was the poor kid alone and bleeding having been hit with a pipe?

Why would I or anyone else have to "back off"?

Seems very odd it cant be talked about beyond the point you want to make, which seems to be how awful everything is.

I have a 9, nearly 10 year old, and wouldnt dream of letting him ride off on his own.

Seems very odd it cant be talked about beyond the point you want to make, which seems to be how awful everything is.

The point is we should be able to let our kids ride alone in a secure area it is important for their development ,otherwise we are going to sit with a generation of mindless,dependent pathetic adults one day.Im also sure the father is already feeling bad enough without you criticising him from the sidelines.Our society has become so pathetic that when someone is affected by crime we all try to find some sort blame in the victim for allowing himself to be targeted or we are only to thankful that it wasnt worse .

lets rather focus our energy on supporting those affected by the crime and targeting the criminals who are doing the crime.

The point is we should be able to let our kids ride alone in a secure area it is important for their development ,otherwise we are going to sit with a generation of mindless,dependent pathetic adults one day.Im also sure the father is already feeling bad enough without you criticising him from the sidelines.Our society has become so pathetic that when someone is affected by crime we all try to find some sort blame in the victim for allowing himself to be targeted or we are only to thankful that it wasnt worse .

lets rather focus our energy on supporting those affected by the crime and targeting the criminals who are doing the crime.

Flyit. Nicely put sir. Very nicely put. :thumbup:

Okay, so at what point would you let him ride on his own?? 12 years? 16 years? 18years? 20 years?

It is necessary to be protective about your loved ones, but believe me, impossible to do it all of the time!

There were even bike-jackings in races (Nissan Irene 2010) – would you also not letting your kid or wife ride the fun races without you next to them?

We ride quite often in Groenkloof, there were also times that my kids wasn’t always in my sight all of the time. Calling me a reckless parent? My wife wouldn’t be able to resist any more than a kid - there were times when she was alone on some of the Groenkloof sections as well.

Point is – everybody thought Groenkloof was a safe environment to ride in! That is why people relaxed a bit more regarding safety in Groenkloof.

Think there were about as many kids runned over by a car in my street than kids being attacked in Groenkloof. Must I never let my kids cross my street again on their own?

My motto: Be safe, aware and prepared for any situation, but don’t live paranoid, because then you became a victim without being assaulted.

My 5 cents worth.

If you put something on a public forum, its there to be talked about, not just for folk to agree with your point of view.

I'm assuming, as you're not saying, that his folks were in the park doing different things and he was off by himself - fine. Its a call that parents have to make and live with.

Its a jungle out there.

@ Herman - am guessing thats a rhetorical rant and you dont really want to discuss it.

Edited by Joe Low

Hi Guys,

My 2 cents worth.

I belong to our local neighbourhood sector policing, as a result you buy yourself a two-way radio that is programmed into a specific frequency on a certain channel, while out on a patrol if you suspect anything strange you radio it in and within 2 min you have back-up in whatever form (Safety in numbers) in addition there is a control room that monitors traffic (pensioner) who contacts the cops in the event of a legit problem.

Maybe we could start something like that for the Groenkloof fraternity (maybe even biking fraternity in General). Groenies can buy a couple of Radio's which can be rented out at a nominal fee that runs on a frequency that they monitor as well as repeats on all the other radios, that way when an SOS call comes through all riders close by can race to assist (Safety in numbers again)? Another option is riders can buy their own radios if they so choose and just pay a small fee to have a specific channel programmed to Groennies, Klappies, etc?

Im sure a more technically minded radio person could work through the in's and out's

Anyway that is my thought.

I can't believe this!! :eek:

After all these years riding my favorite trail in Pta it has finally breached the 'safe riding' status. First a car and now a kid & his bike! WTF!!!!!!!! :cursing:

There are loads of people each weekend, riding, hiking & having picnics. Now because of this the word will spread (and it has already) that it is not safe place anymore, and that could have a snowball effect. Fewer riders, less money to keep the trails pristine as they are, and another venue lost due to crime in this EFFING country!!! For FARK STAKES!

The furthest corner on the Fountains side does sometimes feel a bit sketchy if you are out there alone. The fences were all down and anyone could walk in there, I see they have upgraded it now with new ones, but there need to be some sort of security point on that side. I saw a police officer the one Sunday morning there having a bath or sh*t in the river there :blink:. Fountains have always been special with that fast flowing awesome singletrack.

With regards to staff, yes most of them are helpful and friendly but I have always found that going to the Fountains side (from Groenkloof) that the security guards on that side don't really know what they are doing there - always 'bietjie deur die k@k'.

Let us know what we can do or in what way we can help - I do not want 'my' local trail be harassed by these F****** klipgooier criminals!!!

Edited by FuelEX

I can't believe this!! :eek:

After all these years riding my favorite trail in Pta it has finally breached the 'safe riding' status. First a car and now a kid & his bike! WTF!!!!!!!! :cursing:

There are loads of people each weekend, riding, hiking & having picnics. Now because of this the word will spread (and it has already) that it is not safe place anymore, and that could have a snowball effect. Fewer riders, less money to keep the trails pristine as they are, and another venue lost due to crime in this EFFING country!!! For FARK STAKES!

The furthest corner on the Fountains side does sometimes feel a bit sketchy if you are out there alone. The fences were all down and anyone could walk in there, I see they have upgraded it now with new ones, but there need to be some sort of security point on that side. I saw a police officer the one Sunday morning there having a bath or sh*t in the river there :blink:. Fountains have always been special with that fast flowing awesome singletrack.

With regards to staff, yes most of them are helpful and friendly but I have always found that going to the Fountains side (from Groenkloof) that the security guards on that side don't really know what they are doing there - always 'bietjie deur die k@k'.

Let us know what we can do or in what way we can help - I do not want 'my' local trail be harassed by these F****** klipgooier criminals!!!

I totally agree with you, I ride groenies and fountains often on my ace,and that end bit always makes my skin crawl.

Terrible news indeed but these sorts of comments just piss me off....

And what do you mean exactly? Why would it piss you off, you in denial or something??

I won't take this thread off topic but we are free to discuss the current state of the country compared to where it was elsewhere.

Seriously Clint, you really have nothing to add to the conversation or others it seems.

Was there any response to contacting the rangers yet? When the attack in Tokai happened in May, not only was I allowed to speak to the area manager without appointment, but they took the incident seriously. don't let too much time pass, the urgency will subside and the last thing you want is a feeling of complacency.

I'm not a father yet, but I disagree with above statements of letting kids roam free blady blady blah. I understand where you are coming from, but times have changed unfortunately. I know you demand safety and freedom but I think we also need to remain vigilant.

I don't have much room to talk (once again) but when I do have kids, you need to have a certain amount of supervision. Especially on a reserve. What if they fall and hurt themselves?

Conclusion being: Mucho dads out there letting their kids roam free in a reserve, cool stuff. Glad it works. But please respect other people and how they want to raise their kids. Not in a isolated padded environment but a more cautious environment.

Shame, I feel for the poor laaitie. There are some dodgy guys under those bridges before you go in...I hope it doesn't become another place you HAVE to ride in groups

I ride Groenies every week. How about adding R 10 to the entry fee and getting a guard to patrol the fence?

Do you want to WIN or do you want to be RIGHT?

if you want to be RIGHT then let your kids ride alone... hey why not even let them take the bus to town... hey what about hitch-hiking! and when something bad happens[sic] then you can blame everything... but it does not change the fact that something bad happened :(

if you want to WIN... take the precautions that are required in a not so perfect society that we live in so that if anything bad happens... you know you did all you could...

I hope that nothing bad ever happens to anyone... so please rather choose to WIN