Training hours per week vs results

Wow. Some really great advice. Thanks all for interesting views.

Tough commuting, working, family, social and training 8+ hours a week.

Sport is boring unless it is done at the top of one's potential. I guess stationary cycling the way to go.....

The trick in this situation is to optimize your available time and to eliminate waste mileage / time. Have a goal and train towards that, if possible get a training program from a coach with your goal in mind. Spend more of your valuable time doing quality training instead of “just going out for a ride” with no clear goal. 8 – 10 hrs is more than enough for the average person to achieve a great result in your typical 100km road event or mtb XCO / marathon event.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a roadie. I rode for a couple of years fulltime overseas and was doing as much as 30hours per week at times of the season. I would say there is a definite truth in the more hours in the saddle the better your results will be, however it comes with deminishing gains from about 20 hours up. You do still gain over 20 hours however it is like the difference between a Ferrari vs a Lambo, not much in it. But yeah, the more you can train the better so for the average Jo who has a job there is no real limit to how much one should train other than how much rest can you get in and how well structured is your program from a recovery point of view.

The question you should ask yourself though, and trust me because I have been in almost all scenarios, is: What are the most important things in your life to you. Spend time on those things in quantities in the same order.

Thanks for that input ... It is motivating

Training means nothing if it is not focused - the "riding vs training" argument. My Epic athletes do around 12-15(at the most) hours per week and achieve top performance. The question is always how many hours should one spend, well that is determined by the level of performance you expect, and then it is about optimizing the time you have to your disposal. If you follow the right sequence and do the right things right, you can improve strength with 60% within 3 weeks!

From what kinda base would that be? Sounds a bit extreme if we talking about an athlete who is in decent shape already?

The question you should ask yourself though, and trust me because I have been in almost all scenarios, is: What are the most important things in your life to you. Spend time on those things in quantities in the same order.

Agreed. Ages back, when I thought Lance was the bees knees, I realised "If Lance was doing my job, no way would he be riding all week and weekend. He'd be doing what his job was, as well as he could." So I love riding and my weekly effort wanders between 0 and 12 hours depending on the goal and season, but my life isn't about that.

Agreed. Ages back, when I thought Lance was the bees knees, I realised "If Lance was doing my job, no way would he be riding all week and weekend. He'd be doing what his job was, as well as he could." So I love riding and my weekly effort wanders between 0 and 12 hours depending on the goal and season, but my life isn't about that.

+1

Training fro 5150: 1 hour weights, 1 hour spinning, 45min swim.

Some days I'll swap the Weights for Running.

I do 5 hours a week max (4hr weekend rides and try get a 1hr IDT in during the week in the winter) and do quite well in the alphabet soup (PPA).

My mileage is based on quality, not quantity.

I have been cycling, 98% road, since October 2009 - did a 2:53 Argus this year from the A bunch

Edit: my focus is more on family life and not being a racing snake....... although I do kill myself trying to do so in races.......

Edited by Tiny K

I think one should focus on training smart, not just hard.

Fixation on hours should not be the focus.

I monitor my hours, but I use the total hours per week to break it down into the different training modes;

- Endurance

- Tempo

- Speed

- Recovery

I spend 60-65% of hours in endurance zone and then do 1-2 focused tempo / speed / climbing sessions of 60-120 minutes, the type depending on how far away I am from my target event and the characteristics of the route.

Oh, and I take 2 days out of every 7 off my legs completely. i.e. no weights training or cycling

I always follow a tempo session up with a recovery ride the next day.

I do 5 hours a week max

- did a 2:53 Argus this year

Edit: my focus is more on family life .......

Thanks for making us all feel slow and bad for not spending enough time with our families.

Edited by Androni Giocattoli

Training fro 5150: 1 hour weights, 1 hour spinning, 45min swim.

Some days I'll swap the Weights for Running.

:eek: they now have triathlons with weight lifting as one of the events, is this beofre or after the swim?

I do 5 hours a week max (4hr weekend rides and try get a 1hr IDT in during the week in the winter) - did a 2:53 Argus this year from the A bunch

:eek:

2h53 Argus puts you in the top 200 of the race this year with almost the same time as the winning ladies and serious veteran riders like Robert Sim (Masters leader of Cape Epic this year until his partner crashed), Shan Wilson (Multiple Epic class winner), the Beneke brothers etc. I know they all put in multiples of 5 hours a week to achieve those results - you've obviously got real cycling talent and should consider giving up your day job and becoming professional.

:eek: 2h53 Argus puts you in the top 200 of the race this year with almost the same time as the winning ladies and serious veteran riders like Robert Sim (Masters leader of Cape Epic this year until his partner crashed), Shan Wilson (Multiple Epic class winner), the Beneke brothers etc. I know they all put in multiples of 5 hours a week to achieve those results - you've obviously got real cycling talent and should consider giving up your day job and becoming professional.

It's like Lance saying he did 1 hour a week. Take what is said on the hub with loads of salt.

It's like Lance saying he did 1 hour a week. Take what is said on the hub with loads of salt.

Don't worry I keep a bucket of salt at my desk when I'm reading the Hub and it suddenly got a lot emptier this morning.

:eek:

2h53 Argus puts you in the top 200 of the race this year with almost the same time as the winning ladies and serious veteran riders like Robert Sim (Masters leader of Cape Epic this year until his partner crashed), Shan Wilson (Multiple Epic class winner), the Beneke brothers etc. I know they all put in multiples of 5 hours a week to achieve those results - you've obviously got real cycling talent and should consider giving up your day job and becoming professional.

196 to be exact. I think this small K has some explaining to do. :ph34r: :P