Training hours per week vs results

:eek:

2h53 Argus puts you in the top 200 of the race this year with almost the same time as the winning ladies and serious veteran riders like Robert Sim (Masters leader of Cape Epic this year until his partner crashed), Shan Wilson (Multiple Epic class winner), the Beneke brothers etc. I know they all put in multiples of 5 hours a week to achieve those results - you've obviously got real cycling talent and should consider giving up your day job and becoming professional.

Yeah, my dad used to cycle with the likes of Chris Willemse and Willie Engelbrecht. Even did the Giro once but had to pull out because of flu.

I have hormones to help against the likes of Shan.

I have considered riding elites but my late start to cycling doesn't count in my favour :(

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like Lance saying he did 1 hour a week. Take what is said on the hub with loads of salt.

You don't believe me? Ask the likes of 'Dale, Wannabe and MariusL here on the hub. I ride once a weekend and maybe a 1hr max IDT in the week (only 1 hr because I cannot stand being on it any longer than that).

Edit: then again, living in the Cape means that most of my century rides have around 1000m ascent = lots of hill climbing.

Edited by Tiny K

You don't believe me? Ask the likes of 'Dale, Wannabe and MariusL here on the hub. I ride once a weekend and maybe a 1hr max IDT in the week (only 1 hr because I cannot stand being on it any longer than that).

Edit: then again, living in the Cape means that most of my century rides have around 1000m ascent = lots of hill climbing.

I don't think what you're saying is unrealistic if they are quality rides.

Yeah, my dad used to cycle with the likes of Chris Willemse and Willie Engelbrecht. Even did the Giro once but had to pull out because of flu.

I have hormones to help against the likes of Shan.

I have considered riding elites but my late start to cycling doesn't count in my favour :(

I'm not disputing your result just curious how you achieve that on what is very limited time on the bike (quality or not).

Do you do any other training or are the 2 rides and 5 hours a week all you do?

I'm not disputing your result just curious how you achieve that on what is very limited time on the bike (quality or not).

That is all I do. No gym, nadda. I am trying to do a bit of pilates at the moment because I have realised I have a 'bad' core. It's putting a bit of strain on my knees.

I used to swim, provincial, but got taken out by a bakkie back in 2003 when going home from Tech on an M'cycle. My swimming ended there too.

Started cycling in 2009 after my father-in-law challenged me to ride the Argus in 2010.

That is all I do. No gym, nadda. I am trying to do a bit of pilates at the moment because I have realised I have a 'bad' core. It's putting a bit of strain on my knees.

I used to swim, provincial, but got taken out by a bakkie back in 2003 when going home from Tech on an M'cycle. My swimming ended there too.

Started cycling in 2009 after my father-in-law challenged me to ride the Argus in 2010.

hence the capacity of your lungs for those gutbusting climbs...

How he achieves it - Genetics.....

If you want to be a better cyclist, you should pick your parents better... attributed variously to many - including Tim Noakes.

Once you are beyond a minimum traiing amount, genetics count for a lot - I remember a certain club hillclimb and Alan van Heerden arrived with a girlfriend on a tandem (he just came for the training ride) and whipped us all by 2 minutes up Krugersdorp hill with her sitting on the back - feet unclipped...

Genetics is why you often see families of great sportsmen and women - there are great examples in many sports - cricket, rugby, cycling, swimming etc.

edit (sp)

Edited by V12man

hence the capacity of your lungs for those gutbusting climbs...

That's I meant with “explaining to do”. Someone coming from a background of running/swimming (as opposed to someone with zero athletic activity) riding good times certainly EXPLAINS a lot of the condition he would’ve been in coming into cycling.

I remember a certain club hillclimb and Alan van Heerden arrived with a girlfriend on a tandem (he just came for the training ride) and whipped us all by 2 minutes up Krugersdorp hill with her sitting on the back - feet unclipped... . edit (sp)

BLIKSEM!!!! I have no more expletives to help articulate how much power it would take to achieve this. My wife pedals and its still hard on the tandem!!!

How he achieves it - Genetics.....

If you want to be a better cyclist, you should pick your parents better... attributed variously to many - including Tim Noakes.

Once you are beyond a minimum traiing amount, genetics count for a lot - I remember a certain club hillclimb and Alan van Heerden arrived with a girlfriend on a tandem (he just came for the training ride) and whipped us all by 2 minutes up Krugersdorp hill with her sitting on the back - feet unclipped...

Genetics is why you often see families of great sportsmen and women - there are great examples in many sports - cricket, rugby, cycling, swimming etc.

edit (sp)

Heard of this guy?

http://ryansandes.com/

Started running and two years later won all 4 of the majr dessert classics - the first person to do so.

Edited by JGR

With enough experience and just a little bit of fitness on a body with loads of muscle memory it is not that difficult a feet. A year after riding fulltime I was still able to go under 60min for a 40km TT with only a few weeks of training, literally. So yes genetics, but also muscle memory and experience to sit in the bunch and get over the climbs with lung busters.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just interested in how many hours per week people are training vs their results.

I've been riding about two years, train 4-5 hours a week. My results are currently around mid-table in 30-50km events. (Age43)

So what did you decide on doing to better your training?

I am the same age and do about the same amount of training a week, I always run out of steam at about the 30 km mark and hack the rest of the way.

After reading all the posts I presume I should do some tempo training, and a long ride once a week (50 Km).

So what did you decide on doing to better your training?

I am the same age and do about the same amount of training a week, I always run out of steam at about the 30 km mark and hack the rest of the way.

After reading all the posts I presume I should do some tempo training, and a long ride once a week (50 Km).

I tried to up my training hours per week to 6-7 hours for a couple weeks. It was tough! Really found the extra hour or two a stuggle. Picked up an ongoing cold as well. Probably a mistake I made was keeping a similar intensity for all training rides.

I now have a strategy of making the longer rides easier. Lets see how it goes. Only done one race since starting this thread, times still similar, have to say. Maybe a 29er will help improve things too....

I have been busy with a Tour de France challenge... 3 hours a day on the indoor trainer at threashold... in 16 cycling days - 45 hours - I have only missed one day - exhaustion!... I do not feel ill at all... in terms of results... I think this is more bad than good! However... just to point out that training long hours is not bad if you eat well and do it indoors 60cm away from your TV! :clap:

That's hectic dude

That's hectic dude

OCD is my "motivation" :w00t:

Actually I have noticed a huuuuge difference in my cycling since then :) it must have been good for me