Creative way to keep/store a bike indoors

Carrot

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, R150 for a bleedin hook !!

lol no i got 2 hooks for the price i'f my tyres don't fit i'll just bend the hook a little

• 2 months later...

Have a look at this one that has just been released, stores bike racks and bikes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK4FFYqlqY8&feature=plcp & there are 2 other related clips.

Enjoy!

that is a good idea, a damn good idea.

B U T,

you need that thule rack specifically, so you can get any of the three bikes seperately.

also, if you want to go ride one bike at a race, you have to unload three bikes, load one bike.put two bikes against garage door. you could buy a second rack, but that's hardly the point

no thanks.

You're welcome! thumbup1.gif

also swapped around my garage setup last night using your system. legendary, and the wife will have a smile for at least 48hours.

CWCycles has this hook and pulley system on sale for R150-00. Think its pretty nifty

Cool ... you can then also adjust the height and use it as an impromptu work stand for setting gears and light work on the bike!

My attempt. A couple of bucks and there she blows. Planks will be attached to beams in my new garage. This was just temporary. And notice the foam on the handlebar which kept on imprinting itself on my forehead smile.png

post-28842-0-82103400-1353324287_thumb.jpg

Unicycles are a little easier to store. Used to have 3 Uni's, but sold my 29'er to buy a 29'er bike which I keep in the garage also on a hook.

post-3399-0-61158600-1353324441_thumb.jpg

My attempt. A couple of bucks and there she blows. Planks will be attached to beams in my new garage. This was just temporary. And notice the foam on the handlebar which kept on imprinting itself on my forehead smile.png

Isn't this a problem for hydraulic brakes? I stored my bike up side down and had to have my brakes bled after just a few months from new.

Seems that the bubbles from the resivoir move up the pipes to the pistons and you lose power.

Maybe someone that know's about these things better than I do could comment?

Isn't this a problem for hydraulic brakes? I stored my bike up side down and had to have my brakes bled after just a few months from new.

Seems that the bubbles from the resivoir move up the pipes to the pistons and you lose power.

Maybe someone that know's about these things better than I do could comment?

I think some brakes are an issue. I run only Shimano brakes and havent had a problem hanging them like that. But I suppose there is always a first!

I think some brakes are an issue. I run only Shimano brakes and havent had a problem hanging them like that. But I suppose there is always a first!

It would be interesting to know, this was the only reason I could think of that my brakes would need to be bled. I've got the 2012 XT brakes.

Any experts out there that would be able to confirm if it's safe to store a bike (with hydraulic brakes) upside down? Maybe something for mythbusters....

yeah. would like to know now as well... two of those have XT's on them biggrin.png

I also believe it keeps the fork seals oiled and you will spot a leak much sooner this way...

Edited by JTK

• 8 months later...

okay, this falls into the category of "economical" - in both price and space - rather than "functional art". All it involves is a hook, twisted sideways. The front wheels of the bikes don't touch the ground, so the only points of contact are saddle and hoods. Apart from one hole in the wall, there's no damage or marking to wall or bike - and you can take the wheels off, if you want to.

post-32489-0-57894800-1342622807.jpg

I've actually gone this way in my garage now. The planning permit for my bikeshed in the garden got cancelled by the gardener(wife). Have got four bikes in there, but packed them in nice and close. So they don't really fit as wheels and handlebars will always be 90' out. But that is actually part of the point. The front wheels live in the house. I figure if some chancer does get into the garage, they will have to break the massive chain that is wrapped around all four bike frames first. then they'll need to carry it away, as they won't be rideable. that looks way suspicious

is it a mission to fit a frontwheel each time you go riding? not really.