Stupid people shouldn't ride bicycles

theHED

Speaking generally it's ridiculous to make a law or even expect that cyclists would always use the cycle lane at all times (where one exists) and be banned from using the road on that stretch. As has been stated above there are times when it's not practical to use the lane. Either because of riding conditions / bunch size or more often than not, because of the state of the lane itself.

That said I am of course pleased we have the lanes and I believe the Milnerton ones are something of an asset for the city. However I'm simply not prepared to forfeit my road-going rights just because they - or any other lanes - exist.

Removing cyclists from the road should neither be a goal nor considered a solution to vehicle / car problems. Cars and cyclists need to learn to co-exist. Fact.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was driving behind two roadies who were on the road and not the cycle lane over the weekend on that stretch of road.

These boys were swaying all over the place and veering out of the yellow lane on a regular basis, no bike control and no brains.

Hey at least the cousin at the back had a yellow cycle top and lycra booties to match the yellow on his bike ... styling bra!

I was driving behind two roadies who were on the road and not the cycle lane over the weekend on that stretch of road.

These boys were swaying all over the place and veering out of the yellow lane on a regular basis, no bike control and no brains.

Hey at least the cousin at the back had a yellow cycle top and lycra booties to match the yellow on his bike ... styling bra!

Guys who can't ride properly should be out of the traffic, totally agree with  you. At the same time thank God the spatially challenged choose to use a 15kg vehicle and not a two ton one. I'd much rather have them on bikes than in a car, SUV, bakkie or otherwise motorised vehicle.Riding badly is a separate issue I think.Motorists can't seem to make the logical leap : by riding bikes we are doing them a favour. One less exhaust pipe, one less burden on the public health system and most immediately, one less bumper in front hindering your progress. Very difficult for a bike to hold up traffic or cause you harm like cars do.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

Just out of interest......what would the life insurance company do when they get a claim for a sole breadwinner of a young family that was killed while cycling in dangerous traffic on the road, in a place where a safe cycle lane was available?

no problem, DJR. You'd be covered. Same as if you cross the road in front of a car etc. They even cover against suicide, if it's more than 2 years since the start of the policy.

If the car was being driven by your enraged spouse though...

Guys who can't ride properly should be out of the traffic, totally agree with you. At the same time thank God the spatially challenged choose to use a 15kg vehicle and not a two ton one. I'd much rather have them on bikes than in a car, SUV, bakkie or otherwise motorised vehicle.Riding badly is a separate issue I think.Motorists can't seem to make the logical leap : by riding bikes we are doing them a favour. One less exhaust pipe, one less burden on the public health system and most immediately, one less bumper in front hindering your progress. Very difficult for a bike to hold up traffic or cause you harm like cars do.

Hey .... thread jacker ... this is a thread RE people not making use of a well maintained and accessible cycle lane. Not stupid motorist :whistling:

I usually commute to work on the bike 5 days a weeks, 4 weeks a month and nearly 12 months a year for a couple (close to 8/9 years now), except when ill or life throws other surprises at me.

I use the lanes though as I was a user of that road before and it was and is still dangerous.

What i would do for cycling Lanes in JHB!

There is a thread with a link to a facebook campaign about just that here somewhere.

Don't hold your breath. Cycling is so elitist, there is no way the ANC guvinment is going to waste money to make life safer for rich white people. Drive your car or catch a taxi! :cursing:

Speaking generally it's ridiculous to make a law or even expect that cyclists would always use the cycle lane at all times (where one exists) and be banned from using the road on that stretch. As has been stated above there are times when it's not practical to use the lane. Either because of riding conditions / bunch size or more often than not, because of the state of the lane itself.

That said I am of course pleased we have the lanes and I believe the Milnerton ones are something of an asset for the city. However I'm simply not prepared to forfeit my road-going rights just because they - or any other lanes - exist.

Removing cyclists from the road should neither be a goal nor considered a solution to vehicle / car problems. Cars and cyclists need to learn to co-exist. Fact.

I am sorry but I have to disagree here. You dont find most motorist not using the road becuase of traffice or bad road conditions do you??

2. Crosses peoples driveways with cars parked in your way.

A big pet hate of mine! We have a church near our house where they seem to think the walkway is their private parking lot. I'm sure they'd be the first to complain if we left our bikes lying on the road!

Just out of interest......what would the life insurance company do when they get a claim for a sole breadwinner of a young family that was killed while cycling in dangerous traffic on the road, in a place where a safe cycle lane was available?

They'd pay (I reckon). These are the types of exclusions a policy would contain:

We will not pay any other benefits:

If a claim arose directly or indirectly from the policyholder or life assured’s:

· Willful and material violation of any criminal law.

· Exposure to atomic energy, nuclear fission or reaction, biological or chemical hazards and warfare agents.

· Refusal to seek or follow medical advice.

· Attempted suicide or deliberate self-inflicted injury or illness (within waiting period).

· Regular participation in hazardous or risky hobbies, sports or activities. (Regular participation is defined as participating in an activity more than once a year.)

Tough to prove it was a deliberate death. And cycling is not usually regarded as a hazardous pursuit but still always best to disclose it.

Natural selection. Put yourself in harms way, accept it.

I find the the west cost paths awesome for training with 1 - 3 of you and can pound it out on a nice safe surface. Anymore then it's an issue but if I was training with more I sure as hell wouldn't bother riding on a busy freeway. I'd head somewhere else, somewhere nice to ride with less cars.

5106 Reg. 311(7)

Pedal cyclist rode a pedal cycle on a portion of the road

not set aside for cyclists

I 2 100 50 50 0

Very open to interpretation that regulation is,

Playing devil's advocate, but isn't it your choice to use either?

Or taking it a step further - the lanes are primarily for cycling commuters, whilst the road is used by cyclists who cycle as a sport/hobby ?

Playing devil's advocate, but isn't it your choice to use either?

I guess so. But then why build a cycle lane? Motorists don't have a choice to use the cycle lane.

Well look at the hub logic here and generally SA logic, a custom build cycle lane is put down for the saftey and conveniance of us cyclists at a great cost. Now, becuase its not designed for "group" or "club" rides and the fact that you might have the inconveniance to touch your brakes and turn your handlebars becuase the service is not buttery smooth, the logic here dicates that its not to be used since its more fun and better training doing a group ride with 7 abreast in the middle of heavy traffic therefore it must be legal because its not a perfect solution that we wanted.

Roughly equates in my mind to taxis thinking they have right of way in oncomming traffic, the yellow lane is for their use exclusivley and indicators are optional accessories.