Cape Epic Battle Plan ...

Seems that our initial post was well received (looking at the views and responses) but perhaps not well understood - but I guess that is the dilemma with anonymous responses and maybe the fact that many mountain bikers are experts themselves and/or know people that know people. However, now that we have your attention, it read:

"We have guided Epic riders to achieve their best over the past 4 years - from podiums to guaranteed finishing. Our goal is 1) securing your substantial investment as entry fees are the smallest part of the investment you make; and 2) optimize the time you spend training. For insight into what it all entails, contact us ..."

Bottom line

1. irrespective of your angle, the Epic is a costly race and preparation for the remaining 7 and a bit months is going to cost you if you do not spend wisely (lots of riding that equates to lots of maintenance); and
  2. preparation is time consuming but if you do the right things in the right sequence for conditioning and cover all bases (you can increase strength with 60% within 3 weeks doing the right things right, and its ok to say one should do lots of intervals, but you get 3 types that should come in a specific sequence at various loads - where do you start?)

you will optimize your monetary "investment" and "investment" in time.

Our scientific knowledge and experience could serve you well - PM us should you need advice ...

PS. Thanks for the guys that contacted me - your "battle plan" will start working for you!

Edited by Enticement

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems that our initial post was well received (looking at the views and responses)

Usually happens to threads with “argument potential”

Amen, this is good advice.

Hard miles + Game drink with added salt + plenty of bananas will get you there .Epic Pro YUK!

Hard miles + Game drink with added salt + plenty of bananas will get you there .Epic Pro YUK!

Just be cautious with energy drinks containing cane sugar as they are prone to create insulin spike. As for bananas - one of the fruit types that are chemically ripened, so make sure where you source them from (plenty of them can have you poisoned). Always confirm not only ingredients but also where they are from, like most fish oils for Omega3 coming from China that is biggest battery producer in the world with no green legislation, resulting in their fish oils being contaminated with heavy metals.

Edited by Enticement

Just be cautious with energy drinks containing cane sugar as they are prone to create insulin spike. As for bananas - one of the fruit types that are chemically ripened, so make sure where you source them from (plenty of them can have you poisoned). Always confirm not only ingredients but also where they are from, like most fish oils for Omega3 coming from China that is biggest battery producer in the world with no green legislation, resulting in their fish oils being contaminated with heavy metals.

Where should we get our bananas from?

Where do the Epic Pro contents come from? Not picking on EpicPro just using it as an example seeing Blizer mentioned it, the same could be applied to most supplements.

Which supplements are 100% safe?

PS. Thanks for the guys that contacted me - your "battle plan" will start working for you!

ok, own up guys..who went for it?!

OP, your approach is totally wrong here:

The best way to get positive responses would have been to engage with people by asking a few questions first.

First Question:

Hi there hubbers. What would a realistic figure be to budget for the Epic in 2013, assuming that you have the right bike, enough kit etc.

Now you sit back and wait. The second one will want to sound cleverer / better / richer than the first one. By the 5th reply the thread will be veering off topic, so now you jump in with your next question:

Second Question:

What would a reasonable amount be to pay for support services and a professional coach?

You'll get the wize asses that claims to ride on flat coke and muffins, ignore them and focus on the ones that are either interested / neutral / positive about getting professional coaching and advice.

Other possible questions:

How do you keep motivated during the cold winter months

How often do you track your progress and what do you do to track it.

By now you'll have a clear indication who would be interested and then you start engaging with them in private.

Where should we get our bananas from?

Where do the Epic Pro contents come from? Not picking on EpicPro just using it as an example seeing Blizer mentioned it, the same could be applied to most supplements.

Which supplements are 100% safe?

They buy it from pharmacological companies that specializes in manufacturing specific products, like PeptroPro and Vitargo are trade marked so local companies using it must acknowledge it. They buy it from these companies abroad and then only mix and package it locally. That is also why you should understand what type of ingredients are being used, as some are not absorbed with the absence of certain nano nutrients - you can produce Vit C in your garage but very little of that will be absorbed! Sometimes supplement producers claim to have certain ingredients then they don't as proper goodies are expensive. It is not my idea to promote only certain products but I can mention a few if you PM me. In general, products that are safe to use may be used by lactating women, children and infants.

Fruit needs to be peeled or very properly washed as apart from chemicals, they also are often watered from rivers containing raw goodies that are unhealthy. Bananas, eish, grow your own trees ...

Short answer, none.

Probably, but Enticement latest scare mongering post implies that there are safe options....

They buy it from pharmacological companies that specializes in manufacturing specific products, like PeptroPro and Vitargo are trade marked so local companies using it must acknowledge it. They buy it from these companies abroad and then only mix and package it locally. That is also why you should understand what type of ingredients are being used, as some are not absorbed with the absence of certain nano nutrients - you can produce Vit C in your garage but very little of that will be absorbed! Sometimes supplement producers claim to have certain ingredients then they don't as proper goodies are expensive. It is not my idea to promote only certain products but I can mention a few if you PM me. In general, products that are safe to use may be used by lactating women, children and infants.

Fruit needs to be peeled or very properly washed as apart from chemicals, they also are often watered from rivers containing raw goodies that are unhealthy. Bananas, eish, grow your own trees ...

Oh crap, not sure if banana trees will grow on my balcony and will probably need a special permit...

Edited by SwissVan

Probably, but Enticement latest scare mongering post implies that there are safe options....

notice the subtle name dropping too....

Oh crap, not sure if banana trees will grow on my balcony and will probably need a special permit...

Make some friends with banana farmers - surely some of them will be mountain bikers! Alternatively identify what in the banana it is you need and confirm where you can find that. I can give you an idea but it is educational to explore ...

There is also a huge difference in the manner in which certain producers of these pharmacological ingredients are being extracted/obtained. Our legislation is not yet refined enough to protect us 100%, so the onus is on you - read your labels, do your research and only then you buy. That is why it is often better to use a supplement rather than consuming the fruit of veggies. An orange of 40 years ago has more "good" in it than a whole bag of them today. Consuming all of that will make you feel somewhat bloated. I think that was why God gave the Israelites manna as carbs and minerals and "kwartels" as a protein shake - these were potent food sources. If we can only replicate that ...

truth be told, I rather take a peeled banana of dubious origin than a container of dubious powders (where the machines were most probably not even properly washed/rinsed since the previous run)

OP, your approach is totally wrong here:

The best way to get positive responses would have been to engage with people by asking a few questions first.

First Question:

Hi there hubbers. What would a realistic figure be to budget for the Epic in 2013, assuming that you have the right bike, enough kit etc.

Now you sit back and wait. The second one will want to sound cleverer / better / richer than the first one. By the 5th reply the thread will be veering off topic, so now you jump in with your next question:

Second Question:

What would a reasonable amount be to pay for support services and a professional coach?

You'll get the wize asses that claims to ride on flat coke and muffins, ignore them and focus on the ones that are either interested / neutral / positive about getting professional coaching and advice.

Other possible questions:

How do you keep motivated during the cold winter months

How often do you track your progress and what do you do to track it.

By now you'll have a clear indication who would be interested and then you start engaging with them in private.

Thanks MorewoodMad, you can actually make money with these tips - how to use theHub for marketing (and I honestly mean that)! I can see where I went wrong ... tricks of the trade!