Support your LBS! or don`t.

BergForce

But they won't be making money of the parts sold for replacement where its needed also they need to stock parts for guys that will use this service which is the norm. They have a dual income from this where the oke that stands there with his CRC sakkie presents one to them, only labour. Now if you have a busy workshop it wouldn't make sense to accept jobs that represents a single income stream and then turning okes away that represents both.

Also if they are clever they should market it that way..."lower" the labour costs and make it up in parts bought.

I think inflating labour costs or charging "corkage" would be acceptable if you did need a busy workshop to help you and you are lucky if they don't ask extra

and if you have a part lying around at home?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But they won't be making money of the parts sold for replacement where its needed also they need to stock parts for guys that will use this service which is the norm. They have a dual income from this where the oke that stands there with his CRC sakkie presents one to them, only labour. Now if you have a busy workshop it wouldn't make sense to accept jobs that represents a single income stream and then turning okes away that represents both.

Also if they are clever they should market it that way..."lower" the labour costs and make it up in parts bought.

I think inflating labour costs or charging "corkage" would be acceptable if you did need a busy workshop to help you and you are lucky if they don't ask extra

+1

i have a relationship with my lbs so its difficult to know how they would react to me if i was unknown to them (hopefully the same), but i often go in there and buy parts and they give me advice on the fitment, and i go home and do it. I have also bought parts online and taken there to fit because i was in a hurry.

moral of the story is they dont charge me corkage when i need their help and they gladly dish out advice for home mechanics - thats why they get my support

same applies...

Look I do everything myself.....except fork servicing(its messy so I couldn't be bothered). I even service my own rp23 shock. I am just thinking from a LBS point of view. I could do my own fork yea...but I don't arrive there with seal kits and oil and I am fine with the mech making a profit on these consumables since he must carry stock. I use both online and LBS but don't expect my bread to be buttered on both sides.

He has not got the same overhead costs a proper bikeshop so you can't compare

So what exactly constitutes a "Proper Bike Shop"?

Do you have to rent floor space in a big shopping centre with big signage and lots of staff and a million rands worth of stock on your floor and have a website?

The thing is that with certain parts, let's say a fork, the LBS will fit for free if you purchased it from them. However if you bring your own fork, you will have to pay for the labour.

My LBS fit any part I buy from them free of charge. If I order online I fit myself, or I pay for their labour. If I order from them, they fit free of charge.

I suppose it comes down to whether the guys are service oriented, or looking to fleece the client for as much as they can. Service oriented -

Hey - I've got these wheels and spokes - could you lace and true for me?

Sure - here's our price for wheel building

or:

Do you have wheels I can buy through you?

Sure - there you go, I'll just build them quickly for you, free of charge 'cos I made my profit off the sale of the part

Shafting:

Hey - I've got these wheels and spokes - could you lace and true for me?

Sure - here's our price for wheel building - but you're going to pay an extra R 200 'cos we didn't make any profit off the sale of the wheels

Or:

Do you have wheels I can buy through you?

Sure - there you go, I'll just build them quickly for you, but I have to charge you R 300 for that.

The thing is that with certain parts, let's say a fork, the LBS will fit for free if you purchased it from them. However if you bring your own fork, you will have to pay for the labour.

My LBS fit any part I buy from them free of charge. If I order online I fit myself, or I pay for their labour. If I order from them, they fit free of charge.

That's fine... absolutely fine...

But there have been some instances where you bring a wheel in for a rebuild and they charge x, whereas if you bring a wheel, hub and spokes in they charge x + 50% because "you didn't buy from them"

BS if you ask me.

Fair logic above!

Gents ... an LBS makes and looses it's money on the workshop ... floor sales are the cream on the top.

Charge a std and fair labour rate and build/install what the client brings in and you will hopefully see that person again on your store.

At worst that person would be impressed with the LBS service and recommend future clients to the LBS, it is time to think out the box about how to market and make business in this competitive market place!

But are you prepared to pay for their time and effort? Keep in mind that many businesses also discount their labour when buying the retail item from them.

What you could do is just install the item yourself and then book your bike in a for a service ;) to get the LBS to fit it properly for you.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, I've even done this with my mechanic, to save some money.

This logic don't work for me. So they make money from you paying a premium price but then fit for free, so how is it differnent me paying for the service/ part fitment at the normal rate? Are they making that much off the premium priced part then the fitment becomes free? Just doesn't add up for me.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, I've even done this with my mechanic, to save some money.

Nooit hey ... rather play open cards with the LBS

Cheapskate!

Nooit hey ... rather play open cards with the LBS

I told him I did it, it was not entirely sneaky. I did all the time consuming things, he just makes all the slight adjustments and final inspection. It can save a half hr of labour