29ers rule - Olympic 1st and 3rd, 4th, 5th .... etc

kingalton

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one of those threads. Gotta love em. Before Slick and his mates come and judge me for judging, let me have my go. South Africans, we are our own worst enemy, we carry on like a bunch of niksgewoond agterplaas kinners when they get to the big city for the first time. 650 B and suddenly "I have to have one" What is the next big buzzword going to be , Dugast ? hey check my Dugast's, at the braai, yeah I know what you are saying about the race next weekend, I have Dugast. When are we going to get to a point where riding a bike in a country with incredible summers and some great terrain is all we need, and that we should feel privileged for that. In S.A. the art of posing is more important than the art of cycling enjoyment. Regardless of the wheel size.

Dangle, you have your moments, and this definately was one of them. Well said. :thumbup: :clap:

I'm also getting tired of this "Willy Wagging" competitions (mine is bigger than your's) :thumbdown: .

AND YES, I RIDE A 26" BECAUSE I WANT TO. :devil:

Well watching the mens and ladies race, I couldnt help but notice how many riders including Burry struggle in climbs especially over rocky sections. I would have like to see the top 5 in an even split of 29ers and 26ers just to see the difference, But to me it looks like it is a bit heavy to pop those wheels over certain areas.

I know these guys are super strong and fit, and weight weenies to boot, but did the absence of a smaller chainring not have an influence over the rock gardens, especialy in the later stages when you could see it was hard work getting those big wheels over the rocks on the ascents (especialy where Burry was held up when the other okes dismounted and it broke his rhytm)

I was faster than a couple of 29er this past weekend :whistling:

TOTALLY dependant on the terrain & rider. Use the right tool for the right job. You can hack wood with a steel hack saw, but works better with a proper wood saw...

Guest Omega Man

Apparently Scott will be limiting their range in terms of wheelsize from next year.

So all of the xc bikes will be 650b or 29 and the dh and freeride bikes will be 26ers. That sort of thing. It's interesting that a large manufacturer is taking this step. It must be reflected in their sales and the cost of buying the OEM components for bikes that either don't sell or are covered in their range already.

I think that was the middle chain ring I do stand corrected, however I did also mention it would have been interesting to see 26ers in the mix of the top 5. Sorry I can directly reply to posts as I can click the reply to post button

So what do all the naysayers have to say now? ;-)

Girls race was won on 26" - still place for all sizes. Its all a matter of personal preference...

Guest Omega Man

The whole field ran 1x10 yesterday - Lets all convert immediately..

Ha. I'm running 1x9 with an 8 inch fork and rear end. I'm pretty sure that's the way forward.

They ran 1x10 cos the "mountain bike" race was on a fake track on a field in Essex. All of the features were trucked in. This in a country that has some of the best mountain biking centres in the world. Uber Fail in my opinion.