Mommy needs a pair of cleats?

Ginger MTB Mommy

Will cleats really make a big difference?

I'm a bit of a klutz, so I'm reluctant to take the leap of faith from my trust trail running shoes I use for MTB'ing to cleats.

Your views?

It makes a big difference and trial running shoes are for trail running and orienteering, and not for cycling. Go buy cycling shoes and be done with it. After all you don't shop in your slippers do you?!

Yes it will make a huge difference.One thing people forget to tell you is to adjust the pedal so that your foot battles to stay clipped in and then as you get used to them tighten the screw till your foot only just stays in.Nobody gave 99% of us this advice thus we all fell over like dumb asses!!

I only ride a xc race in cleats,and then only when on non tech sections,so I ride mostly uncleated.

Giba I never ride cleats.I prefer no cleats. I did used to ride cleats,all the time and it is not for me.

If you are uncomfortable cleated in, ride without them.

you will learn to stay connected with the bike , an excuse most people who ride cleats will tell you is why you need them in the first place which is only because they lack the basic skills of this.

NO NO NO!!!

Don't listen to these clueless clipless planks.

Just get a pair of proper platform pedals, and then invest in a pair of decent riding shoes.

Cant go wrong with some FiveTen Minnaar's.

A good grippy set of platforms and decent shoes with some technique will give you 95% what cleats will get you. But wear shin guards cause grippy platforms eat shins for breakfast lunch and dinner , big mouthfuls :P

She might be from Brakpan...

Erm . . . only wear the slippers when it is paired with my stretched out tracksuit pants from materinty days?? does that count?? :blush:

Yes it will make a huge difference.One thing people forget to tell you is to adjust the pedal so that your foot battles to stay clipped in and then as you get used to them tighten the screw till your foot only just stays in.Nobody gave 99% of us this advice thus we all fell over like dumb asses!!

Good advice, thanks. I fall over like a dumb ass in anyway, so dont need to increase the odds of that happening.

Erm . . . only wear the slippers when it is paired with my stretched out tracksuit pants from materinty days?? does that count?? :blush:

He's quite wrong. Peeps in Brakpan don't wear shoes at all.

Get the cleats. Maybe look at getting a set like this if you're nervous at first:

post-1604-0-50409400-1344918041.jpg