Do you agree with this? Drafting behind a car....

Mojoman

Most of us have drafted something at some stage Schwynn, but how many have purposefully set out to ensure they have a dedicated car and driver motorpacing them the whole length of their training session and essentially slowing up traffic behind them for every kilometer they have trained and travelled??

I use drafting as an interval component to my training. When an opportunity to latch onto a truck comes by I try and catch the draft and see how long I can hold on or until it becomes too much of a safety concern.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the boot open....maybe not drafting , but rather pomping some lekker tunes for the wife....outdoor spinning!

The boot open makes the drafting 'window' bigger and allows the driver and cyclist to talk to each other to match the speed properly. Hence my original observation of perhaps a coach and rider.

I sometimes like to put a stationary bike at the back of my bakkie. I then get the wife to drive at 60kph while I spin. I find this helps my speed training.

They could have maybe used a bakkie and then the cyclist could have been in the cycling lane?

The real problem here is that both the cyclist and the car are not as far left as they can safely be. Even a bakkie riding alongside the rider still leaves a slow moving vehicle in the whole of the driving lane. I don't cycle there so unless there are some specific issues witht he road surface on the left there's no reason for them to be in the middle of the lane, making it an overtaking mission for everyone trying to use the same stretch of road they are on and ultimately the real source of irritation.

I agree. It is totally stupid to draft on a two lane road, in fact drafting is being stupid, Enough said. <_<

I think i'm going to catch a couple of trucks on the N1 rather

Back in the 80's it was always fun to catch the Coke trucks on the road between the Strand and Kuils River. A bitch to get to 60 kph. but then over that speed the truck "pulls you in" and then 80+ was easy!!

Eish, without any helmets!!!

Sumthin seriously wrong with this place.

As Slowbee pointed out, y'all miss the car overtaking on he white line.

Miss the fact the the antie does not have a Camelbak on her back.

Worst part of all, y'all fail to miss the point that they could have picked a faster car ?

If you motor pace over 50 kph. you should be at the Olympics.

We were plenty more that 50+ behind Hennie Badenhorst's kombi on the same road!! Oh, that was in the old days, we could not particpate.

I sometimes like to put a stationary bike at the back of my bakkie. I then get the wife to drive at 60kph while I spin. I find this helps my speed training.

So you the box i often see riding around Pe :w00t:

:clap:

Send pictures!!

Back in the 80's it was always fun to catch the Coke trucks on the road between the Strand and Kuils River. A bitch to get to 60 kph. but then over that speed the truck "pulls you in" and then 80+ was easy!!

A mate of mine - a local pro who shall remain nameless - got into a bit of bother with cops drafting a truck at 100-odd near Carnival a while back.

I remember those days and at that speeds you are too afraid to get out the slip because the draft wind could throw you off your bike.

It's an old trick cyclists use to train for T.T. instead of using a motorbike with a roller wheel.

HUH? Why would you want to train for a TT in a draft? That makes perfect sence....nooootttttttt

It is called motorpacing - look it up. A (relatively) quiet road on a Saturday morning - don't see why it poses a problem. No serious traffic violations either (other than for the dimwit overtaking on a solid line). I hope you remained behind them at a safe following distance until it was safe (and legal) to overtake. By the way, it would be illegal for the car to drive in the cycle lane).