26/27.5/29 Mega Merge Thread.

Tieffels

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I REALLY find funny is the obsession with wheel size- why would one be so worried about the size of wheel, as opposed to the suspension travel, suspension design, gearing/ratio's, drivetrain performance, etc etc.

Is it safe to assume all these inbetweeners now have ALL the other things sorted...

For example, do they know exactly what type suspension design suits them personally and complements their particular riding styles? Flip, do they even know how to set up their bike properly or even ride the correct frame size/stem lengths, etc. etc etc..

Would the performance benefit you get from wheels really exceed the sum total of many other things...

For example, if I run 27.5's on a crappy forks, that's not properly tuned or setup, on a bike that might not be my size or a suspension design that is inefficient, will it offer me any benefit to a proper 26er with high spec and components?

I see so many 29ers in the shops now, but most of them have really *** components..

I'm just wondering why someone would be so obsessed with wheelsize but settle for average basket of other components - especially when it comes to frame, suspension design and forks/shox???

What you really find funny?

Does anything on the planet amuse you?

seems like in every one of your posts you are pissed with life

reel it in and get a life (or better medication)

What you really find funny?

Does anything on the planet amuse you?

seems like in every one of your posts you are pissed with life

reel it in and get a life (or better medication)

LOL, thanks for the pep talk, i think it's exactly what i needed. from tomorrow im making a new, fresh start....

For the record, I was really interested in people views on choosing between the two options:

1. Better performing components (i.e higher spec forks, suspension and drivetrain) on a 26er vs:

2. Really average components but bigger wheels, be it 650b or 29er.

And then i would like to know, no matter what their choice was, which would actually give them a "better" experience and performance advantage.

that's the point i was trying to make and seek popular opinions on....

For the record, I was really interested in people views on choosing between the two options:

1. Better performing components (i.e higher spec forks, suspension and drivetrain) on a 26er vs:

And then i would like to know, no matter what their choice was, which would actually give them a "better" experience and performance advantage.

Well, from your previous posts, its quite clear which option you choose. I disagree, but its just my (inexperienced) opinion, so let me tell you why.

I'm still very new to mountain biking. About 2 months ago, with a fairly small budget to work with, I bought my first proper mountain bike. Its a 29er hardtail that I got for about R7000, and I'm helluva happy with it. It has the cheapest components that I would consider reasonably good quality.

It has a Suntour Raidon air shock (not great, I know, but not terrible), Deore front derailleur, SLX rear der., 9 spd Shimano groupset, etc.

Now at the time, I got that 29er mostly because that was what I was advised to get for my size (6+ feet tall) and intended riding style (mostly hilly/flat XC in my part of the country). If I had gone for a 26" at the same price point, then sure I could have gotten slightly better components, such as a RockShox fork, or SRAM 10 spd drivetrain perhaps, I'm not sure. But the difference that marginal gain in component quality would have made to my 'riding experience' would have been marginal to negligible. I wouldn't have noticed the difference in riding enjoyment or performance, but perhaps the components would last a bit longer.

The crux of the thing is that the difference that the 29" wheels will make to my riding, in the slow hills, mountain ascents and rocky XC single-track that I have yet to conquer will be felt far more keenly than the equivalently priced 26" bike. So, if you're starting out with a small budget, like me, and are not too worried about gritty technical stuff yet, then a 29" bike certainly seems to hold some merit over a similarly priced 26" bike. Just my 2c worth ..

Well, from your previous posts, its quite clear which option you choose. I disagree, but its just my (inexperienced) opinion, so let me tell you why.

I'm still very new to mountain biking. About 2 months ago, with a fairly small budget to work with, I bought my first proper mountain bike. Its a 29er hardtail that I got for about R7000, and I'm helluva happy with it. It has the cheapest components that I would consider reasonably good quality.

It has a Suntour Raidon air shock (not great, I know, but not terrible), Deore front derailleur, SLX rear der., 9 spd Shimano groupset, etc.

Now at the time, I got that 29er mostly because that was what I was advised to get for my size (6+ feet tall) and intended riding style (mostly hilly/flat XC in my part of the country). If I had gone for a 26" at the same price point, then sure I could have gotten slightly better components, such as a RockShox fork, or SRAM 10 spd drivetrain perhaps, I'm not sure. But the difference that marginal gain in component quality would have made to my 'riding experience' would have been marginal to negligible. I wouldn't have noticed the difference in riding enjoyment or performance, but perhaps the components would last a bit longer.

The crux of the thing is that the difference that the 29" wheels will make to my riding, in the slow hills, mountain ascents and rocky XC single-track that I have yet to conquer will be felt far more keenly than the equivalently priced 26" bike. So, if you're starting out with a small budget, like me, and are not too worried about gritty technical stuff yet, then a 29" bike certainly seems to hold some merit over a similarly priced 26" bike. Just my 2c worth ..

See, dude, that's exactly what Vwad was talking about. You thought it through and used.that logical thought pattern to determine which would be best for you based on what and where you ride.

The thing with 29ers is that the majority of okes are prescribing it as if it is a panacea to all things technical and mtb, without considering other factors such as setup and design or riding style etc.

For me, the only niner that I'd buy at the moment would be a tallboy lt. If thata not available, then I'd get a 160mm travel 26" bike. Why? Because they suit my riding style.

The man has a valid point. Why persecute him because you don't see the validity of it?

Edited by cptmayhem

I purchased a 29er... it was higher-than-mid-range specification bike, really rated and well reviewed...it had reba and full xt2012, it was a DS with 100mm travel... and I absolutely hated it, I kept on going back to my tomac snyper, with 150/140mm suspension. I just enjoyed a longer travel bike so much more...

I now usually ride between 15 and 30km's at a time, but regularly (a couple of times a week).

I have many years cycling experience under my belt, raced road provincially and even have a couple of modest titles to show for it.... so I can confidently say I have better than newbie cycling experience...

I stay convinced that the 29er had nothing on my 26er longer travel bike in terms of "fun or enjoyment" for anything up to 3 hours of riding...

I still believe people like Mr. HRossenrode would not have known any better and probably would have had more fun and a better experience on a good spec 26er v.s a 29er low spec.

And yes, if you have the professionals test out the times, efficiencies, etc of the 29ers, using TOP TOP TOP-end components and "dialed" and tuned suspensions, then for sure, i agree - 29ers ARE "MUCH" faster

- just like a "Track Tuned" version of an M3 is faster than a standard 328

or for the lack of a better example... just so is a UNO TURBO much faster than the 328 from robot to robot... it doesn't mean i want to drive a UNO TURBO.... does it?

Edited by TheV

• 1 month later...

I'm a short rider. I'll look really silly on a 29er and I'll probably struggle with the frame's geometry.

BUT, I have a 26er bike that fits me really well and I can appreciate the advantages of a bigger wheel. why wouldn't I get excited if I could fit 650B wheels on my current bike? To my situation it seems ideal.

You are assuming that the larger wheel size is making more of a difference to your riding than anything else but at your budget your 29 is probably pretty heavy compared to a 26er of the same price.

Weight of bike, as well as quality of shock plays a far bigger role in the bikes ability than the percieved gain of the larger wheels.

Cheaper 29" wheels, which you have, flex more and are much heavier.

That rockshock is so much better than your suntour it is in a completely different league.

The only time you will get clear advantage from 29" wheels is when budget is NOT an issue and you can buy a bike that weighs the same and has equal shock, wheels to the 26" version.

I agree with you on the grouppo, not such a big deal but shocks, wheels and weight are definitely a deal maker/breaker on any bike.

Edited by TZmtb

There are two issues to consider when attempting to put bigger wheels on a bike designed for smaller wheels. The first is obvious - will it fit in the frame? And not just fit, but is there enough mud/crud clearance without scraping the paint off the frame? The second issue is ride height. Ride height is generally expressed as BB drop - how far the bottom of the BB is from the floor. On a road bike it is slightly less than on a MTB for obvious reasons. those of you with a road bike and MTB will notice how much easier it is on a RB to put your foot out at the robot. On a MTB you are on tiptoe - whether it is a 29" or 26" MTB (since they're designed with the same BB drop). Now, should you fit larger tyres, you'll have to do a ballerina pointing move at the robot. It may or may not be an issue, but do consider whether the discomfort is worth it. You'll obvioiusly also be riding higher with your centre of gravity a bit higher.

Edited by Johan Bornman

Lots of sense here:

You are assuming that the larger wheel size is making more of a difference to your riding than anything else but at your budget your 29 is probably pretty heavy compared to a 26er of the same price.

Weight of bike, as well as quality of shock plays a far bigger role in the bikes ability than the percieved gain of the larger wheels.

Cheaper 29" wheels, which you have, flex more and are much heavier.

That rockshock is so much better than your suntour it is in a completely different league.

The only time you will get clear advantage from 29" wheels is when budget is NOT an issue and you can buy a bike that weighs the same and has equal shock, wheels to the 26" version.

I agree with you on the grouppo, not such a big deal but shocks, wheels and weight are definitely a deal maker/breaker on any bike.

...and here:

There are two issues to consider when attempting to put bigger wheels on a bike designed for smaller wheels. The first is obvious - will it fit in the frame? And not just fit, but is there enough mud/crud clearance without scraping the paint off the frame? The second issue is ride height. Ride height is generally expressed as BB drop - how far the bottom of the BB is from the floor. On a road bike it is slightly less than on a MTB for obvious reasons. those of you with a road bike and MTB will notice how much easier it is on a RB to put your foot out at the robot. On a MTB you are on tiptoe - whether it is a 29" or 26" MTB (since they're designed with the same BB drop). Now, should you fit larger tyres, you'll have to do a ballerina pointing move at the robot. It may or may not be an issue, but do consider whether the discomfort is worth it. You'll obvioiusly also be riding higher with your centre of gravity a bit higher.

For me the biggest put-off is the increased ride height of a retro-fitted 650. Tech roll downs and switchbacks will feel scarier, bike will not rail berms like it should and usually does, I'll feel more on top than "in" the bike. All of this for slightly better rolling...no thank you.

Wait it out and buy a dedicated 650 bike if that's what your heart wants. Just don't waste money on a quick "upgrade" only to discover that fitting higher volume tyres on your 26" bike will have achieved the same result for a heck of a lot less.

Edited by The Crow

I'm a short rider. I'll look really silly on a 29er and I'll probably struggle with the frame's geometry.

Only one way to find out and that's by riding it. Manufactures won't sell a S or XS if the geometry or fit will be a mess. And lets be honest, we all look a bit silly anyway with our kit on. Who cares what you look like to other people. Ride what you want.

To my situation it seems ideal.

What is your situation? Are you referring to being too short for a 29er?

In a big way I am with you on this. I would rather have a proper 26" that I know I am comfortable on, and know that my own ability is not a limiting factor anymore before I will start to look at wheel size and a new bike.

Own ability will always outweigh the perceived added benefit of a bigger wheel for me. But, should I be buying a new bike, I will obviously consider the wheel size as well, along with the level of components and what I want on my bike.