26/27.5/29 Mega Merge Thread.

Tieffels

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another weird 26" wheeled tri bike from late last century.... A friend of mine had one for awhile, was the only one is SA at the time....

post-182-0-51237700-1328191966.png

I'm wandering if there isn't a bit of a toss up between a bigger frame vs bigger wheels and which can be lighter. My logic here is that with smaller wheels you would need more frame to get the same geometry and stuff and thus maybe that is heavier than having a bigger wheel and smaller frame...

Another point to consider is that of high speed cornering... I don't know which will be better in terms of road conditions...

Very interesting post and such a pity that people are taking it to be about the mountain bikes, tut tut.

Here's another weird 26" wheeled tri bike from late last century.... A friend of mine had one for awhile, was the only one is SA at the time....

post-182-0-51237700-1328191966.png

Reminds me of a kirk precision...

http://bikehugger.com/images/blog/kirk_precision.jpg

Good point Yster, I also ride a Flash 29er and feel a lot more comfortable riding rock gardens and steep switchback decents - but I guess it could be cos I am an old bally.

I have found full susser bikes are easier to bunny hop opposed to hardtail bikes, as the compression helps allot when pushing down and pulling up the wheels.

Haven't tried this on a FS 29'er but have with HT 29" HT 26" and FS 26"

It's not about the Bike... etc

Anyway, 650cc wheels on road bikes are still commonly used - TdF 2008 and 2009 had two small-ish spanish riders on this. Both where pure climbers.

European LBS will always have some 650cc bikes in.

I totally understand where're you're coming from and I was totally anti-29er and though the 26" is the sh*t...but

I have a Cannondale 26"DS as well as a 2012 Flash 29er HT. The HT accelerates much faster than the DS on straights, flats and climbs. The gear ratio is also totally different which makes the pedaling the same. Remember I'm comparing a 26"DS with a 29er hardtail.....

My girl weights 50kg and did the 94.7 in 2:42, so she's quite light weight and we though that she'll be unable to pedal a 29er. She normally rides a 26" HT but when she rides my 29er we average about 2-3kmh more which is 10-15% faster.

I'm really don't want to start a 26 vs 29" fight, but I feel that both bikes have their place depending on the route you're riding.....

Also, I paid for my DS about R58k with a carbon lefty and for the 29er R20k, the 29er weights 1.5kg's lighter with a alloy lefty.....

for those of you who do not know... @chickenrun4me won the inaugural TransDrakensberg on a 26" 14kg bike!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

His name however will not be up in lights because there was a weak link in the team :whistling:... and bailed on him after 40km :blush: he continued with his "truck" only be to disqualified because his team mate :whistling: was not up to the task...

With regards to his question... if all you want is to go faster without conditioning your body anymore... then slither down the slippery slope of "Bike-doping" :clap: - I like that one! Sleep well knowing that if you ride anything with smaller wheels... you are gonna be 10-15% slower... :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to mountain biking and you all will probably be bored with the question. But before I spend my money, any advise 26 or 29er

Forget about the 29r and 26r fanboys. Test ride as many bikes as you can beg, borrow or steal. Make your choice on the one that feels best and meets your riding needs.

29ers roll better over rough stuff. They are also heavier for the same price. To work well they need light, strong wheels. These types of wheels cost easily R5000.

In other words: if you are buying lower range: R5000-R10000 buy 26er. Mid range: R10 000 - R15000 your choice. Above that it is hard not to justify the extra speed of a 29er.

Personally, I am a 26er for life as I like the increased 'flickability' and quicker accelleration of smaller wheels.

Just keep pedalling - you are 100% correct.

29" may be give a softer ride, but for Mr/Mrs Average Cyclist, you don't have to keep up with the Jones's and get a 29", unless you want to show off that you have the $$$ to spend. At a recent race i did the hardcore 26" guys called the the 29"ers, the "softie club".

At the end of the day, its your decision if you want to buy into this "marketing game".