26/27.5/29 Mega Merge Thread.

Tieffels

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The higher it is the more aggressively you have to manual that front up and keep it up in the air. For flat landings touch down with the rear first and absorb the impact with relaxed legs.

I know that all too well... It's just that I get handygrabbybrakey syndrome. Know all the technique, just need to practice it and grow themballs!

650 B has one fantastic advantage at the moment, but it will wear off in time to come.

But alas right now it's hot and you can often find yourself at a ride being the only cool dude there.

Till every tome dick and harold gets one, then it's tome to look for exclusivity elsewhere.

Hahaha.... I was under the impression your exclusivity came from your "special" personality and character... or is it the lack thereof? :whistling:

Edited by TheV

There is only best FOR YOU in the context of WHAT TERRAIN YOU RIDE and WHAT YOUR STRENGTHS are and WHICH RACING YOU DO.

Thanks Eldron

Like Schurter said "His new 650B wheel are only better for him as he is too short to get his set up perfect on a 29er.

So for all you shortys who ride small bikes, maybe 650b is better for you.

Hahaha.... I was under the impression your exclusivity came from your "special" personality and character... or is it the lack thereof? :whistling:

You will have to help me out here, not quite sure where you are heading with this ?

That Tread article was terrible - about as balanced as the chip on Julius Malema's shoulder.

They said the advantages of 650b were:

Better rollover than 26 (but forgor - worse rollover than 29)

Better momentum than 26 (but forgot - less momentum than 29)

More traction than 26 (but forgot - less traction than 29)

Less rotational weight than 29 (but forgot - more rotational weight than 26)

More agile than 29 (but forgot - less agile than 26)

More suspension travel options (less than 26)

Short chainstays (but longer than 26)

There are no "disadvantages" to 26, 650b or 29 - you need to look at the characterisitics of all 3 wheel sizes and pick the best one for you. Why is this so hard for people? There is no generic

26 is best, 650b is best or 29 is best. There is only best FOR YOU in the context of WHAT TERRAIN YOU RIDE and WHAT YOUR STRENGTHS are and WHICH RACING YOU DO.

Phew - I'm sounding more and more like ye olde stuck gramophone.

Although oddly the conclusion drawn was essentially very much along what you just stated, in previous issues as well.

There's more choice which is never a bad thing, even though for the first time buyer it can be a bit overwhelming. This is where the LBS should be stepping up to the plate to help the customer.

For experienced riders there is now the choice to choose something they feel works best for them.

I ride a 29er hardtail medium with proper wheels and any smaller wheels will be a downgrade for any xc or marathon terrain. But for a dually trailbike give me some 27.5!

For a best ALL round bike for marathon( 50-70km) , stage race I think 650b will be perfect . I only started riding a few months ago on a 26 " so I dont know the 29ers but reading all the forums it might be the best ALL ROUNDER

650b is the new hot thing according to who?

Definitely not according to the South African market, maybe the European market because none of them have 29ers

We have sold a total of 0 (zero) 650b bikes or frames and 3 sets of 650b wheelsets to go on 26er bikes.

... but we have sold about 6 485 038 - 29ers

Thank god I didn't run out and buy a 29'er, now I am going to delay buying a 650b'er, and wait for the next big (marketing) thing.

Hang in there, not too long from now the next craze will be here: The 26"

Just like lumo colors & bootleg jeans the 26er will go retro and be cool again...

Bottom line, if it has wheels let it roll.

Tankman,

is this a long distance post, or were you the one that draw'd the short straw and got left at home?

(got to say, comment, guess it is unfair looking at 650b sales atm still, since there are what 2 bikes on the market, make that 1 really that I know, being the momsen 27.5 HT, the Full suspensions is just being launched now, Rocky Mountain and Scott Genius)

G

650b is the new hot thing according to who?

Definitely not according to the South African market, maybe the European market because none of them have 29ers

We have sold a total of 0 (zero) 650b bikes or frames and 3 sets of 650b wheelsets to go on 26er bikes.

... but we have sold about 6 485 038 - 29ers

Tankman,

is this a long distance post, or were you the one that draw'd the short straw and got left at home?

(got to say, comment, guess it is unfair looking at 650b sales atm still, since there are what 2 bikes on the market, make that 1 really that I know, being the momsen 27.5 HT, the Full suspensions is just being launched now, Rocky Mountain and Scott Genius)

G

:( ja, unfortunately someone has to look after the shop hey!

There are actually a bit more than 2 bikes on the market and some of the bigger brands are bringing out one or two models to test the waters.

But the hype is much more European driven, they got left way behind with the 29er explosion and they dont wanna miss out on the "next best thing". Plus their terrain is much better suited for 650b with all their climbs and alps than our 29er cross all over african country.

The Europeans are shorties in general and will find the 650b easier to handle than us big, tall and braaivleis eating Saffas on 29ers.

Anyhow, as you were.

(here are 3 models of 650b's from Titan)

post-4352-0-20011600-1346131716.jpg

post-4352-0-23188700-1346131726.jpg

Edited by Tankman

650 tyres get less punctures than the others

Ha, here's the thing. I've been riding a 26" for about 8 years with tubes and in all this time i have never had a flat in a race and only the rare occasion elsewhere. My 1st ride on my 29 DS with tube i got a flat front and back, 1 week later another, and quite regular thereafter . My 1st ride on my 29HT i got a rear flat, and another a few days later.

So by my scientific experience, one punctures more on a 29" and don't ride a 29 with tubes. :D