Staalwater MTB race

River Rat

So at least i finished in the top 50% with 3:19 (my garmin showed 3:15) but i reckon if i can stop my cramping i can do sub 3 next time which was my initial target. now just to figure out how to stop myself from cramping, usn cramp block didnt help...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So at least i finished in the top 50% with 3:19 (my garmin showed 3:15) but i reckon if i can stop my cramping i can do sub 3 next time which was my initial target. now just to figure out how to stop myself from cramping, usn cramp block didnt help...

Cramp block is a placebo. Just ride more. Its the only thing that works

I'm lying in bed in the hotel. Goddamn that molehill was rough.

Rode most of it. Managed 20th overall and 7th in sv after a late start. Spent the first half of the race chasing the leaders

Next time I'll make sure I start on time :)

fadacious-die molehill was toe nie so maklik soos jy gedink het nie :thumbup: :oops:

Did you drink enough? And I'm not talking about the night before... ;)

fadacious-die molehill was toe nie so maklik soos jy gedink het nie :thumbup: :oops:

The race still only had ~1100m of climbing which isnt very much. The winners avg speed for the 60 was just under 30km/h

I was hoping for more climbing

Did you drink enough? And I'm not talking about the night before... ;)

Yep, drank enough, took energy bar + 32GI chews. I have so far cramped on every single race this yr, its seriously messing with me che :wacko:

Ive had a bike setup done, drink cramp block take in fluids ect ect. Bought a packet of magnesium chloride this morn (similar to slowmag) and gonna pop that for the rest of the week to see how this coming weekend's race goes (trying to identify whether i have a mineral deficiency). Its definitely the race intensity which is prob much higher than my training intensity. But right now im just busy building base, seems i need to up the tempo on my training as well

What a fantastic race in the most beautiful setting. And a fantastic turnout. Blue Cranes (and their calls!!). Spring flowers in full bloom. Proteas. Green wheat fields (or was it barley?), and then of course "Mole Hill". The addition of Mole Hill and the changes to the finish were a major improvement on last year in my opinion. Here's a picture from "Mole Hill". Some more pics in "Where's your bike taken you today?" thread.

post-8720-0-45954100-1347212544.jpg

Yep, drank enough, took energy bar + 32GI chews. I have so far cramped on every single race this yr, its seriously messing with me che :wacko:

Ive had a bike setup done, drink cramp block take in fluids ect ect. Bought a packet of magnesium chloride this morn (similar to slowmag) and gonna pop that for the rest of the week to see how this coming weekend's race goes (trying to identify whether i have a mineral deficiency). Its definitely the race intensity which is prob much higher than my training intensity. But right now im just busy building base, seems i need to up the tempo on my training as well

Try take a few Rennies with you on the ride... I know it sounds strange, but when I had terrible cramp issues a few years ago (admittedly, when I wasn't training enough!! :) ) someone told me to try it, and it really is an amazing thing. None of the Cramp-ease type stuff worked.

the foto does not do molehill justice, that was one bad mother of a climb

Not unless we mention that most of the walk was from the dirt road in the middle, right of the picture. And that the picture was taken about 3/5 up!!

eish..ek neem aan dit was nie dieselfde roete as laas jaar nie? of is die molehill daai laaste stretch na die finish toe? kannie onthou van laasjaar nie :)

Edited by CatGirl

Try take a few Rennies with you on the ride... I know it sounds strange, but when I had terrible cramp issues a few years ago (admittedly, when I wasn't training enough!! :) ) someone told me to try it, and it really is an amazing thing. None of the Cramp-ease type stuff worked.

Shot, and then when should i take them? Beforehand or only when i start cramping which is too late imo :oops: Any directions on usage?