Road Race on MTB

P.A.K.

There is no feeling like riding your MTB in offroad setup in a road race, you check that you are really starting to pee them off, they try all they can and cant drop you. At the end you tell them that they are a bunch of poofters cause they couldnt even ride a mountie off. Just dont try it with the thick dicks at the front cause they will ride you off one time.Rather pick on the mid bunch okes.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect we need to scour the net, then if all else fails recruit someone who can weld and also knows a little about engineering!

My welding sucks as well - but im very handy with a grinder!

I'm doing road rides and road races with my MTB.

nothing wrong with that!

I once pissed of our local ROADIES when i came from my usual route and saw them on the tar riding all happily together. SO i thought, Bugger them, and chased them down on my Dual 29er on the gravel side of the tar road. And as i pass them, i gave a little wave and smile. Damn, those looks on their faces. Priceless!! :whistling:

Dude there is a crazy bloke here called Jakes. He did a 160 km road race on a dikwiel. So yes you can do it. Just going to feel and look silly, but the roadies will look silly as you pass them with your MTB :)

My 1st road race was the 70km Herald this year and I did it on my MTB - it was also still dirty of the muddy MTB race the day before.

My ave was over 26km/h and I was 6th lady in.

SO one can deffo do road races on your MTB and not make a fool of yourself :)

(results includes tandems)

Makes you wonder how you wonder how you would have done on a road bike...?

I did a road race last weekend with a friend. I'm on my 26" HT with the shock locked and 1.25 slicks. He's on a Giant OCR road bike.

riding abreast on the same gradient, he was coasting and I had to pedal to stay at the same speed. He was quite a bit faster downhill too since I ran out of gears at about 50km/h. It was an interesting experiment and if he wasnt staying with me he would've finished a good 30 minutes ahead of me I reckon

Dont get why you wouldn't put slicks on a mtb. I mean the bright thing is too put the tyres on best suited to the task. MTB stands for multi terrain bicycle. Tar is a terrain and a tyre is made for that terrain. If you rather see it as a mountain bike, well that is a problem because these things just about never see mountains.

To me, the main reason to fit slicks is to save wear. Nothing wears knobblies down quite like 100km on tar, and at R600 odd a pop I'd rather save them for where they're needed.

That said, I did the Argus on knobblies once cos my Shova would look really silly with 1" slicks. Took me 7 hours (and 6 beers) though.

I am in abit of a dilema...

I have registered to do the Meals on Wheels ride at the end of this month and the 94.7 road challenge in November on my MTB as i dont have a roadbike.

I have no problem riding it on my MTB but would like to fit slicks, the problem there is I don`t want to go out and buy a brand new set of slicks just to do 2 or so road rides a year but I also don`t want to use my MTB tires as i will then have to replace them sooner rather then later....