Dispute over Magura fork damage

Grolsch

Two things still bug me here:

The fork is said to be out of warranty, but no one says what the warranty period is.

Scrap to me means it can be recycled. That suggests that, apart from cosmetic damage - dents and scratches - it's good to go. Seems that wasn't the case.

I have the same bike, and I had a problem with the fork (felt like a rigid fork at the end of a 70Km race).

Managed to find the agent's contact details, took the fork to Epic Cycles in Centurion who happen to be the service centre for the agents.

The bike was purchased about 13 or 14 months prior.

I told them I had done about 150-200 hours of riding based on my recorded rides (GPS).

The repairs weren't covered under warranty (seals and oil were replaced) and it only cost R150 (including labour).

A friend, who had the same problem, but only had the bike a few months got his fork serviced for free.

So the warranty period seems to be 1 year.

No problems since, although my riding time has been a lot less than before.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the thing though - Sometimes it pays a Manufacturer (in this case Magura) to make a goodwill call. We used to do it many times at Yamaha, where we knew the customer was stretching the truth, but chose to offer assistance (50% discount on parts, etc, etc)anyway. We actually used to allocate a small part of our margin for goodwill calls. 45 replies to this topic, most discussing the negatives and shortcomings of the Magura fork, and even a few suggestions to change to Fox or Rockshox. For a brand trying to build in SA, the R2500 retail price of the repairs (most likely not more than 100 Euro cost price) would have been money well spent by Magura. Who here in this forum will now baulk at a new bike fitted with a Magura fork or brakes I wonder?

Andyman...you make sense!!!

I for one agree 100% ..I'd think twice...

People like you should be taken up in these companies PR sections!!

So that would seem the fork in question was in warranty?

Maybe I got it wrong, but somehwere in the thread it was mentioned that there was damage to the fork from riding with the lockout on? So would that not make the warrantee null and void?

Maybe I got it wrong, but somehwere in the thread it was mentioned that there was damage to the fork from riding with the lockout on? So would that not make the warrantee null and void?

Don't know about that. There was also an assertion that the fork was way out of warranty here too. That's why I was asking about the length of the warranty. :unsure:

Don't know about that. There was also an assertion that the fork was way out of warranty here too. That's why I was asking about the length of the warranty. :unsure:

Think this is gonna be one of those mysteries for Scully and Mulder!

Sorry for my very late reply to this thread.

It was only brought to my attention now.

Firstly I want to say that at no point ever did we say we would not help this customer or any other customer for that matter. If you go back in the archives of THE HUB SA you would find threads where we went out of our way to get people back on their bikes even through some goodwill.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/93455-shoutout-to-the-new-magura-sa-agents/page__hl__magura__fromsearch__1

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/96818-leaking-shock-or-is-it/

Secondly this fork was serviced by a non MAGURA service centre as mentioned more than once in this thread.

If you buy a new BMW, Ferrari, Toyota and you go service it at a Nissan dealer……. Your warranty is GONE. If you drive a Volvo and you take it to a non-approved panel beater after something as small as a bumper bashing, your warranty is GONE……… If you fit any part to your car that has been modified or is out of spec with what should be fitted your warranty is GONE.

So it is the same with anything else in this world.

The owner of the thread contacted me to ask if he can send his shock in to us for repairs.

What we saw was as follows:

-This fork was manufactured in week 24 of 2010. No paper work was supplied to state that it was still under warranty.

-This fork has been serviced somewhere else (he also told me this over the phone)

- The push rod on the damper had been damaged. If you look at the corresponding damage on the outside of the fork it just does not makes sense to say that this damage on the inside has been caused by a crash. (According to my knowledge and know of bicycles and bicycle parts there will be corresponding damage somewhere else)

-The rebound unit that was send to us by the owner of this thread was not the rebound unit that this fork came out of the factory with. (The one we received had a blue top where it should be black and there is about 1cm difference in length of these two caps.

-the viscosity of the oil that came out of the lowers and out of the rebound unit is different (much higher) to what MAGURA use in their forks. The colour also differs significantly.

Then every now and again we have to do a report for an insurance company. We will not and shall not give a false statement to anyone even his or your or our insurance company just to get a claim processed. It is wrong in every sense of the way.

You would expect me to be honest to you so do the insurance companies.

Every case has merits. Be honest in your dealings and stick to the policies and what the manufacturer recommend and state. Be sure we will help you as best as possible.

Thank you for the positive feedback from the people that used our services.

For all the hubbers out there please recommend to your fellow cyclist to stick to appointed service agents and original replacement parts, as this will make life a lot easier for both parties.

Magura SA

Cutting Edge Marketing

+27 82 563 3698 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting FREE +27 82 563 3698 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Sorry for my very late reply to this thread.

It was only brought to my attention now.

Firstly I want to say that at no point ever did we say we would not help this customer or any other customer for that matter. If you go back in the archives of THE HUB SA you would find threads where we went out of our way to get people back on their bikes even through some goodwill.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/93455-shoutout-to-the-new-magura-sa-agents/page__hl__magura__fromsearch__1

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/96818-leaking-shock-or-is-it/

Secondly this fork was serviced by a non MAGURA service centre as mentioned more than once in this thread.

If you buy a new BMW, Ferrari, Toyota and you go service it at a Nissan dealer……. Your warranty is GONE. If you drive a Volvo and you take it to a non-approved panel beater after something as small as a bumper bashing, your warranty is GONE……… If you fit any part to your car that has been modified or is out of spec with what should be fitted your warranty is GONE.

So it is the same with anything else in this world.

The owner of the thread contacted me to ask if he can send his shock in to us for repairs.

What we saw was as follows:

-This fork was manufactured in week 24 of 2010. No paper work was supplied to state that it was still under warranty.

-This fork has been serviced somewhere else (he also told me this over the phone)

- The push rod on the damper had been damaged. If you look at the corresponding damage on the outside of the fork it just does not makes sense to say that this damage on the inside has been caused by a crash. (According to my knowledge and know of bicycles and bicycle parts there will be corresponding damage somewhere else)

-The rebound unit that was send to us by the owner of this thread was not the rebound unit that this fork came out of the factory with. (The one we received had a blue top where it should be black and there is about 1cm difference in length of these two caps.

-the viscosity of the oil that came out of the lowers and out of the rebound unit is different (much higher) to what MAGURA use in their forks. The colour also differs significantly.

Then every now and again we have to do a report for an insurance company. We will not and shall not give a false statement to anyone even his or your or our insurance company just to get a claim processed. It is wrong in every sense of the way.

You would expect me to be honest to you so do the insurance companies.

Every case has merits. Be honest in your dealings and stick to the policies and what the manufacturer recommend and state. Be sure we will help you as best as possible.

Thank you for the positive feedback from the people that used our services.

For all the hubbers out there please recommend to your fellow cyclist to stick to appointed service agents and original replacement parts, as this will make life a lot easier for both parties.

Magura SA

Cutting Edge Marketing

+27 82 563 3698 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting FREE +27 82 563 3698 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Oh dear

Who decided to bring the facts to this party???

:mellow:

Good response.

Drat! Now I'm gonna have that theme tume in my head all day! :cursing:

things are getting strange I'm starting to worry.... this could be a case for mulder and sculley...

ok not the theme tune but thats whats now stuck in my head.

Edited by dracs