Critical Mass -what's the point?

cyclenut

But then again ,who said we were protesting.

If one reads the comments on twitter the Jozi council are even happy to have us do this.

Someone even messaged me on Flickr saying that we are helping in preserving and restoring the city.

They are welcome to arrest me, as long as they feed me beer and burgers.

Critical Mass rides have been perceived as protest. A 2006 New Yorker magazine article described Critical Mass' activity in New York City as "monthly political-protest rides", and characterized Critical Mass as a part of a social movement;[3

From the wikipedia article you kindly posted

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Critical Mass rides have been perceived as protest. A 2006 New Yorker magazine article described Critical Mass' activity in New York City as "monthly political-protest rides", and characterized Critical Mass as a part of a social movement;[3

From the wikipedia article you kindly posted

But then again, nobody on a Jo'Burg Critical mass ever proclaimed protest.

The intention was always to ride the city and break down barriers.

It doesn't have to be violent.

I for one am very happy about the fact that I can return to a place at night which was relatively safe to be in in the early 90's.

You also very kindly quoted what pertains to your view.

Perceived and fact are not the same.

Edited by Dangle

Ok

I understand your abbreviation finally. Truth is CM qualifies on a number if not most of the criteria for a gathering. I dont believe many of the requirements are being met

Mate, I think you need to tone the legal mumbo jumbo down a little :) I think you are trying to read into it too much. In a nutshell, it's a bunch of like minded individiuals getting together and having fun... for a good cause. The end.

Mate, I think you need to tone the legal mumbo jumbo down a little :) I think you are trying to read into it too much. In a nutshell, it's a bunch of like minded individiuals getting together and having fun... for a good cause. The end.

I can't wait for full blown summer.

The drolle in die drink water got our other thread locked.

At Critical Mass we get to see more cleavage than on the web :thumbup:

How can that be wrong :devil:

I can't wait for full blown summer.

The drolle in die drink water got our other thread locked.

At Critical Mass we get to see more cleavage than on the web :thumbup:

How can that be wrong :devil:

More inspiration to support ;)

I for one am very happy about the fact that I can return to a place at night which was relatively safe to be in in the early 90's.

You also very kindly quoted what pertains to your view.

Perceived and fact are not the same.

Very nice sentiment. I wasnt expressing a viewpoint, I was asking a question wrt whether the procedures were being followed

Just a quick question, but how is drinking beer apart of the whole Critical Mass? Even one beer while riding magnifies its effects. I know, I used to cycle a lot after a few/ few to many beers.

I realise that not everyone will be doing it, but it could lead to the wrong undertones being sent to the general public. I'm not trying to sound like a spoilsport, but it will only take one incident to ruin everything previously achieved, will it not?

Yes true, but only here on the Hub where people feel they need to change others and shove their noses in to other peoples business.

Only here on the Hub are you allowed to point a finger and fail to notice the other three pointing back at you.

Only here one is allowed to complain about a flesh thread and in the same breath brag about how you downloaded pearlers from there yourself.

All this place has become good for is for bitchin and moanin, at Critical Mass we suip beer, eat pizza, ride bikes and smile non-stop.

Is this coming from the same Dangle or is there a new one on the Hub? ;)

I agree with the OPs concerns. This apparent rebellious "we'll take back the streets through force" mentality that some Critical Mass proponents appear to favour leaves a bad taste. I am far more in favour of using it as an opportunity to show how cyclists and other road users can exist in harmony. Us versus them battle rarely works. Or if it does it leaves one side bitter.

As for the racing snakes who feel the pace is too slow, get your speed thrills in the morning and then come and cruise for Critical Mass. It is unlikely anyone is going to be impressed by your superior speed and strength at CM anyway.

Just a quick question, but how is drinking beer apart of the whole Critical Mass? Even one beer while riding magnifies its effects. I know, I used to cycle a lot after a few/ few to many beers.

I realise that not everyone will be doing it, but it could lead to the wrong undertones being sent to the general public. I'm not trying to sound like a spoilsport, but it will only take one incident to ruin everything previously achieved, will it not?

On the Durban ride we ended up near the restaurants at Wilson's Wharf on the first few rides and inevitably a few alcoholics could not resist the urge to run in and grab some beers. They then drank these while the rest of us waited around. On the last ride we avoided that area altogether and gathered in a car park near by instead. On purpose. I agree that there is no need to associate CM with beer drinking. All are more than welcome to get together for a few drinks after the ride.

We rode through a taxi rank on Friday night (yes, it was by accident) that many admitted they would not venture through in their cars with windows up and doors locked. The response and cheers from those gathering there was insane :)

But then again ,who said we were protesting.

If one reads the comments on twitter the Jozi council are even happy to have us do this.

Someone even messaged me on Flickr saying that we are helping in preserving and restoring the city.

They are welcome to arrest me, as long as they feed me beer and burgers.

I dont think thats all you'd get fed...

Speed dating the entire weekend could hurt somewhat... :blink:

A loud and proud fart will be a long distant memory

There was one dude with some sweet looking custom build bike at the PTA Critical mass (different front & back tyres - white - funny looking handlebars)

I wonder if he is a forum member? Would love to see more pics of that bike :thumbup: