Should the public boycott banned athlete Lance Armstrong's sponsors?

Lucky Luke.

Should the public be boycotting Oakley, Nike, Trek and other sponsors supporting convicted doping cheats?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. See poll title, yes or no.

• Hell Yes
    • Hell No

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell NO!!!

While the notion to boycot companies who supposedly make use of illegal or suspect labor practises is a noble ideal indeed......To apply the same logic because of LA is akin to saying you wont support Nike because Tiger Woods is sex maniac who cheated on his wife tjop. Now we all know thats 100% true but still people follow him around like he is some sort of hero....

So ja sorry LL but I think your being a bit optimistic in your quest, rather try sign up for Green peace….

:w00t:

Edited by SwissVan

Well the sponsors poured money into LA and his teams. What they used it for is open to interpretation. Ultimately the point is not what they paid for, but the message they send by putting him on a pedestal as an icon for their brand. As to the membership at the Cyclingnews forum, by and large the content there is strictly moderated and demonstrates a far deeper knowledge of cycling than I can lay claim to. Many ex-pros and pro tour insiders including Vaughters weigh in there from time to time.

You cannot create authority by mere association!

Did any of these ex-pros and pro tour insiders vote on the poll there? What did they vote? Not for a moment wil I believe that ex-pros will vote *(to support) on a boycott of a brand that supports cycling!

*edit

Edited by RoboCyclist

You cannot create authority by mere association!

Did any of these ex-pros and pro tour insiders vote on the poll there? What did they vote? Not for a moment wil I believe that ex-pros will vote *(to support) on a boycott of a brand that supports cycling!

*edit

I'm not trying to create authority for the site, they hardly need me to do that. Another poster here made a windgat judgement about the value of votes on that poll. I'm merely stating a fact about the membership of the forum to try add some reality to the hot air.

Don't believe me, go and have a look for yourself. It's a massive and carefully maintained resource.

I'm not trying to create authority for the site, they hardly need me to do that. Another poster here made a windgat judgement about the value of votes on that poll. I'm merely stating a fact about the membership of the forum to try add some reality to the hot air. Don't believe me, go and have a look for yourself. It's a massive and carefully maintained resource.

The fact is irrelevant, and is a attempt to create misconstrued authority. To use your own words "hot air" ;)

The fact is irrelevant, and is a attempt to create misconstrued authority. To use your own words "hot air" ;)

what if I called you a fat keyboard warrior? would that be misconstrued authority? or hot air? That was the statement I mistakenly responded to.

what if I called you a fat keyboard warrior? would that be misconstrued authority? or hot air? That was the statement I mistakenly responded to.

Hot air as you do not know me from a bar of soap :)

If you started with "I know his brother's sister's best friend and he is a ....." it could go as misconstrued authority :)

I still maintain that Lance has a positive balance sheet, that he did more good than harm in his career. For that reason the boost that his sponsors gave him was beneficial, to cycling and to fighting cancer. My spending patterns won't change due to his decision to no longer fight the charges against him.

There's no need to get all worked up. Go right ahead and buy whatever you like from companies with no moral or ethical accountability. Strange thing to get upset about, but this is your choice. Knock yourself out.

Paying taxes has nothing to do with this topic.

I'm sorry, my response wasn't necessary.

I'm not trying to create authority for the site, they hardly need me to do that. Another poster here made a windgat judgement about the value of votes on that poll. I'm merely stating a fact about the membership of the forum to try add some reality to the hot air.

Don't believe me, go and have a look for yourself. It's a massive and carefully maintained resource.

And yet, for all that sophistication and depth and careful ,maintenance....only 62 voted :oops:

That is the reality :thumbup:

Hot air as you do not know me from a bar of soap :)

If you started with "I know his brother's sister's best friend and he is a ....." it could go as misconstrued authority :)

ok, thanks for clearing that up, rich in semantics this thread is :lol:

Hell NO!!!

While the notion to boycot companies who supposedly make use of illegal or suspect labor practises is a noble ideal indeed......To apply the same logic because of LA is akin to saying you wont support Nike because Tiger Woods is sex maniac who cheated on his wife tjop. Now we all know thats 100% true but still people follow him around like he is some sort of hero....

So ja sorry LL but I think your being a bit optimistic in your quest, rather try sign up for Green peace….

:w00t:

I'm just putting it out there Swiss, not really here with an axe to grind :P

Genuinely interested to know what the peeps think.

I'm just putting it out there Swiss, not really here with an axe to grind :P

Genuinely interested to know what the peeps think.

It's been an interesting read, LL. I guess the poll results speak more than words can. I doubt if a Springbok Rugby hero (if such a person exists!!) was found guilty of using a banned substance, whether consumers would boycott Castle Lager or ABSA bank.

ok this gets a bit ridiculous... should we boycott pick n pay because they sponsored doped up athletes as well?

The comrades winner was sponsored by ABSA. Oh, wait, they've been on my sh1tlist for more than a decade already.

As you were.

Look at it this way. The companies sponsor the athletes so that we will buy their cr@p. They want a return on investment. When they sponsor cr@p, why should we support them? Let them reap what they sow?