Tall (dark & handsome) Boy

Delilah

Very nice!

Thank you! :)

I was blown away by how light this frame is. Lifted it out of the box with one hand, expected to use a bit of muscle, but no - light as a feather! It came with a set of 3M frame protectors, a pouch of Finish Line Fiber Grip, a neoprene/velcro chainstay protector (in addition to the built-in one) and a very smart looking grease gun.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was blown away by how light this frame is. Lifted it out of the box with one hand, expected to use a bit of muscle, but no - light as a feather! It came with a set of 3M frame protectors, a pouch of Finish Line Fiber Grip, a neoprene/velcro chainstay protector (in addition to the built-in one) and a very smart looking grease gun.

Congrats and enjoy her.

You do know you need to take pics of the bike build in stages and then finish off with a pic of the bike being nice and dirty after it's maiden voyage!

Thanks Hairy

You do know you need to take pics of the bike build in stages and then finish off with a pic of the bike being nice and dirty after it's maiden voyage!

For sure! The build is gonna take a while. Waiting for 2013 XT and 2013 Reba. I'll post pics of the rims and hubs soon. Hubs are at home and rims are on their way from JHB via snailmail.

Yep the frame weight is scary makes you think it will break when you ride it, I remember when I got my Blur frame thinking no way this will stand up to abuse but I have yet to manage to harm it despite my best efforts..

Welcome to Cruz family awesome bikes :thumbup:

Thanks Hairy

For sure! The build is gonna take a while. Waiting for 2013 XT and 2013 Reba. I'll post pics of the rims and hubs soon. Hubs are at home and rims are on their way from JHB via snailmail.

Have you spoken to TheV - i am sure he can get you the groupset at a great price

It is a medium

Just my size... I'll send you delivery address when you finished the build. Thanks :whistling:

Congrats - frame looks lovely! :clap:

Edited by =Bones=

Have you spoken to TheV - i am sure he can get you the groupset at a great price

Ja, he hooked up my buddy with a XT group set at a really good price.

Yep, I have indeed. The kind gentleman will get back to me with prices :thumbup:

He raised a few questions that I would appreciate advice on: 1. Are 180mm rotors overkill? 2. Should I opt for shorter cranks?

On point 2: I'm 1.72m and have only ever had standard length cranks. Will it be better to try 165mm? I've read other riders go for 165mm on the Tallboy to minimise rock strikes.

PS: Thanks to everybody for all the comments, good wishes and congratulations. You are all most kind. :blush:

Edited by Delilah

Yep, I have indeed. The kind gentleman will get back to me with prices :thumbup:

He raised a few questions that I would appreciate advice on: 1. Are 180mm rotors overkill? 2. Should I opt for shorter cranks?

On point 2: I'm 1.72m and have only ever had standard length cranks. Will it be better to try 165mm? I've read other riders go for 165mm on the Tallboy to minimise rock strikes.

PS: Thanks to everybody for all the comments, good wishes and congratulations. You are all most kind. :blush:

Also check www.easybike.co.za very reasonable wrt shimano stuffs

He raised a few questions that I would appreciate advice on: 1. Are 180mm rotors overkill?

160mm Shimano XT ice-tech rotors should be all you'll need. I've cooked my Elixir 180mm front and 160mm rear brakes on fast descents. I swapped to SLX brakes and XT ice-tech 160mm rotors and have never had the same problem

Besides cooling faster i don't see any real difference in rotor size, although i suppose this is open to personal opinion. Your height does not pose any difference for rotor size, although if on the heavier side of 90kg's i would opt for the larger rotors, caliper wear will be identical, they will weight a little more.