The Audiophile/reference music thread.

Wyatt Earp

I am a Hi Fi nut as well. Main system:

Clearaudio Concept Turntable

Plinus 101 CD

Plinius 9200 Integrated Amplifier

Monitor Audio GS20 speakers (OK, but weak link in system)

Digital system:

iTunes

Graham Slee Novo headphone amp

Cambridge Audio DacMagic DAC

Grado SR325 headphones

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Hi Fi nut as well. Main system:

Clearaudio Concept Turntable

Plinus 101 CD

Plinius 9200 Integrated Amplifier

Monitor Audio GS20 speakers (OK, but weak link in system)

Digital system:

iTunes

Graham Slee Novo headphone amp

Cambridge Audio DacMagic DAC

Grado SR325 headphones

I liike, what is your phono stage ?

Ag please man, this argument has been town around and debated to death even worse than 26 V 29 over the years.

Audiophile is the one who loves music so much that he has an endless pursuit for a system that does the music the most amount of justice, and elevates it to the true art form it was meant to be.

Hmm..

audiophile = listens to the equipment

music lover = listens to the music

I hope one day you have the opportunity to listen to Katie Melua on ESLs. You won't listen to the music...you'll experience her own emotions.

Then again, glowing tubes are not to everyone's liking, and that's perfectly fine.

Audiophile is the one who loves music so much that he has an endless pursuit for a system that does the music the most amount of justice, and elevates it to the true art form it was meant to be.

And, I don't put patches of funny stuff around my home that 'make' the sound better, but I believe in proper engineering and science to give the source signal the best chance for as near as faultless delivery of the music as is economically viable for my purse. In that sense I am an Audiophile.

My main stereo system.

Front end:

TT. no 1:

Avid Volvere Sequel Black

SME V Gold arm with silver litz.

ZYX 4D cartridge (MC)

TT. no 2:

Modified Rega

Audio Mods arm

Blue Angel Matntis cartridge or sometime a Clearasudio Stradivari (both MC)

CD Player:

Consonance Droplet 5.0

Phonostage:

Valve Audio Whisper Genesis.

Pre amplifier:

Valve Audio Trinity.

To be replaced by Genesis.

Power amp:

Valve Audio Black Widow.

Speakers:

Martin Logan Vantage.

Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (not being used at the moment)

Cables:

Audioquest Mont Blanc Speaker Cables.

Audioquest Cheetah all round.

Headphone system:

Grado GS 1000i

Musical Fidelity X-can V3 headphone amp.

Nitty Gritty record cleaner.

I would count myself as music lover, and lover of great sound quality, however I don't go for this overpriced audiophile kit.

Been on various Onkyo amps since the 80's, my main lounge system is 4.0 with some great Infinity speakers I got off Junkmail for R2k cos the oke's wife didnt like that the boxes clashed with her decor (they are light natural wood finish). Very nice range, and can get pretty low. No need for a sub. The rears are B&W DM602's.

In my bed room I has some Korean ESI's active small studio speakers on stands with an active sub, which performs amazing at low volumes, just what an insomniac needs. In my study I have a NAS 302 amp driving some Onkyo studio speakers I have had for years, still good. I have most of my music ripped to mp3 VBR and all the systems are driven by a networks PC etc accessing for the central store - works a charm. Use Winamp mainly

I have got a Teac SL1210 turntable as well in storage, just for old times sake.

Got a great pumped up system in my skoro as well, but lately I prefer the sounds of silence when I am driving, except on a road trip.

Setting up a system in my garage, its hard to compromise when you have been spoilt so looking at some JBL's

Music to put any system through its paces is music you know and like: for me that will be mainly electronica, although lately I have been listening to more acoustic (did I mention Little Dragon?). So yeah one of the Sphlongle albums, or Shulman "In search of a meaningful moment" and you will be able to hear the highs to the lows, the bright twinkly things and those lovely low driving beats, and everything in between.

Edited by kosmonooit

music lovers who claim they are not audiophiles (like i did earlier) are actually talking crud (like i did earlier) - it all boils down to not having enough spare cash to spend on the equipment...there are just too many other priorities higher up the list. if i could i most definitely would!

Understood Stretch.

Which is why my 21 year system did not see much of my wallet love lately. But once the kids are big and I have some extra cash, I would like to revitalise it with some valve amplification. And my speakers have a need of replacing also. They have seen the hard life with all my house moves until my wife settled my arse.

Edited by Moridin

My main stereo system.

Front end:

TT. no 1:

Avid Volvere Sequel Black

SME V Gold arm with silver litz.

ZYX 4D cartridge (MC)

TT. no 2:

Modified Rega

Audio Mods arm

Blue Angel Matntis cartridge or sometime a Clearasudio Stradivari (both MC)

CD Player:

Consonance Droplet 5.0

Phonostage:

Valve Audio Whisper Genesis.

Pre amplifier:

Valve Audio Trinity.

To be replaced by Genesis.

Power amp:

Valve Audio Black Widow.

Speakers:

Martin Logan Vantage.

Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (not being used at the moment)

Cables:

Audioquest Mont Blanc Speaker Cables.

Audioquest Cheetah all round.

Headphone system:

Grado GS 1000i

Musical Fidelity X-can V3 headphone amp.

Nitty Gritty record cleaner.

Very nice, the Martin Logan speakers are brilliant.

My Plinius amp has a good phono stage built in, Would like to upgrade one day, but need to get some decent speakers first.

This is a great test track for my system.

The bass is full and makes the woofers in the Logans work well and the vocal and acoustic really brings out the best in those ESL panels.

Chris Jones