Carbon Mtb bike being used as a Road Bike

gpcar

I have a Carbon Scott Scale(26”) and I would like to use it as a Road Bike.... What parts must I change I would like to make it lighter and more aerodynamic? Can you get Aero wheels for a MTB ?

Not worth it, forks are heavy, brakes are heavy, cant mount your levers or shifters to road bars, not really possible.... Sell it and get a roadbike, or ride it as is, just get road tires

I am in the process of building a carbon Jamis 26er for light fast riding. I have got 29" wheels, which will accept cyclocross tires, and fit in the bike and a Fox 26er fork. That will make a big difference.

Start with the frame.......

Get a road bike frame.

If however, you want to cycle in a road race with your mountain bike consider the following:

• Slick tyres.
  • Take out all the spacers and flip the stem (so it is flat)
  • Shave your legs
  • wear lycra pant
  • lock out your shocks
  • wear white socks
  • take off your granny gear
  • do not ride with your camelbak
  • maybe put on a road cluster at the back.

Other than that there is not much else you can do, other than get a road bike (sometimes cunningly disguised as a 29er)

I have a Carbon Scott Scale(26”) and I would like to use it as a Road Bike.... What parts must I change I would like to make it lighter and more aerodynamic? Can you get Aero wheels for a MTB ?

ENVE carbon wheels should do the trick and just throw on some slicks.

and remember that if you have disk brakes to change the rotor to a 140mm as that seems as if it'll be the standard if/when road bikes go the hydraulic disk brake route....

or else... Just get a road bike, it will be more aerodynamic and faster than any abomination built around an ex-MTB.

Just a note...

It may be because I am getting old...

I have a carbon HT... When I rode it at SuikerbosRand my back hurt like hell... however... I ride my rode bike all the time and it feels as smooth as butter...

Geometry is different... I am not sure what it is... but it aint comfortable!

Also most MTB frames you can't fit the Road bike cracks on as the chainrings are too large and hit the rear stays and they bulge out to fit the wide MTB tires. Sell it and get a proper road bike.

All you can basically do is get a rigid carbon fork, a custome 48 or 52 chainring front (depending on your frame and type of front derailure, carbon wheels with slicks.

Or go spend 3k on a old second hand giant that will still go faster on the road than your pimped up 26mtb.