Why not stop at red traffic lights?

Green Hornet

I had a very frustrating ride experience on Heritage day, when I joined a group on a 2-3 hr ride from the Durban North area....

My main issue with the group was that they were not at all interested in stopping at red traffic lights! They treated all of these as yield signs, checking for approaching traffic, then rolling through with 20 bikes, when the coast looked clear....

I immediately voiced my unhappiness, from the rear of the pack, and personally stopped at every red, then caught the group a few seconds after each stop....but, this made little or no impression on these cyclists, who appeared to be experienced and competitive riders.

I tried making the point that we have a bad reputation, and that they are making it worse, but I was not heeded, even when there was a near miss when, coming through town, some cyclist had to brake hard and skid, to avoid being taken out by a car going through green at an intersection, after the lead riders had cruised through red!

Though I repeatedly made the point that none of the riders would shoot red if they were driving their own car, and that if we wanted to be taken seriously as equal road users, we would have to obey all road rules, not just the ones we wanted to, or when we wanted to.....

Embarrassingly, I continued to ride with the group, trying constantly in vain to influence them, but I will not ride with them again.....

If we want to create opportunities for more people to start riding, and for those who are already riding to stay safe, we have an obligation to diligently follow ALL road rules, and to set a positive example for others to follow - one that will also create a helpful relationship between motorists and cyclists.....lets start by stopping at red traffic lights.....

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I think that is a very stupid thing to do. I'm all for the quick skip when it's perfectly safe to do so, and when it's quiet, [and when the bunch is small enough to do it safely) but I've seen all too many cars appear out of nowhere and you don't want to be ushering a bunch across a red light then. As you said, it makes for a bad reputation.

If could be said from a safety point of view is to cross when its clear, regardless of the lights. Sitting at a light, you are a sitting duck, Cars and motorists in general don't give a hoot about your road rights. Yes if we lived in an ideal clockwork society then all the rules will apply, but this here is far from the case.

Having said that, I would generally not do that when drivers are waiting, only because its really annoying to see that when you are waiting, in a car or whatever. However, on my MTB commuter, if all clear and motorists are waiting at the red lights, I mount pavement and join the road that has the green then turn, or cross the road and mount pavement on the other side. Or just wait if I need a breather.

I do also get annoyed with roadies who will breeze through the line of waiting cars and then through the red light unabated.

And lest we forget Jhb / SA has the most unsynchronised lights possible, which is severely antagonising and a time waster of note.

What a bunch of Tjops, with one near miss on this particular ride, it's only a matter of time before the grim reaper pays someone in that group a visit.

I roll across with caution at a red when no one is around...

Seems like this bunch is set in their ways, OP.

Ether you exercise your principle of stopping and get good interval training to catch up with the bunch or find other training partners.

Nice one however I still think someone like Niner is going to come and tell you the cyclists weren't in the wrong because he sees motorists doing the same thing everyday.

Go read my posts I said that cyclist are wrong BUT so are the driver. I never said what the cyclist are doing is ok. I am saying that because they are doing something wrong it does not give you as a driver the RIGHT to also break the law and then post a one sided story here.

Skipping a red light is not a good idea, but if the OP was taking pictures of them doing it while skipping the light I would have pointed that out.

Go read my posts I said that cyclist are wrong BUT so are the driver. I never said what the cyclist are doing is ok. I am saying that because they are doing something wrong it does not give you as a driver the RIGHT to also break the law and then post a one sided story here.

Skipping a red light is not a good idea, but if the OP was taking pictures of them doing it while skipping the light I would have pointed that out.

Yes but do you not feel that 1 cyclist creating awareness for other cyclists is what we should really focus on? But now we all get a bad name because of those pricks but now you want to get your panties in a knot because of the camera in the car

On my way to my ride in JHB on Saturday morning - around 5:30 am I was witness to a Polo that went right though every single red traffic light on William Nicol at significant speed nearly taking out a number of other law abiding vehicles in the process - but continued unhindered and apparently unconcerned. Take care out there everyone!

Dudes, I've just had lunch. No space in my tummy for popcorn right now.

You think this thread will beat the I hugged 3 roadies this morning?

You think this thread will beat the I hugged 3 roadies this morning?

Depends if you have your hijacking boots on today…

Let's see what happens if we post a traffic light on page 2. Will the hubbers stop?

Edited by Tumbleweed

On my way to my ride in JHB on Saturday morning - around 5:30 am I was witness to a Polo that went right though every single red traffic light on William Nicol at significant speed nearly taking out a number of other law abiding vehicles in the process - but continued unhindered and apparently unconcerned. Take care out there everyone!

You should be the taxis fly through the red lights 24/7 on Louis Botha where I try to cross at the pedestrian crossing. Un-freaking-believable.