Why not stop at red traffic lights?

Green Hornet

If a traffic light shines red in the forest, is it still wrong?

Traffic lights in the forest only shine red when bears poo

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TheBushpig

Exactly why I asked what do you do when this conundrum faces you daily. Dangle couldn't answer, Fabes did, the rest of you?

Edited by TheBushpig

Yup, that's exactly what I was getting at; too many do whatever the heck they please regardless of whether it endangers others or not.

You are so right, it's almost like they have blinkers on and can't or won't see anything else around them.

The lack of Metro presence also aids them in their quest.

Guest TheBushpig

Exactly why I asked what do you do when this conundrum faces you daily. Dangle couldn't answer, Fabes did, the rest of you?

*!#@!; pressed the obliterate button there.

My 2c. Obey the law wherever possible, but use your common sense and listen to the little voice in your head. Drive and ride your bike as if everybody else is completely insane; you won't go far wrong.

Home time. Byeeeeee...

most group rides have someone being in charge of the route etc etc (even on an informal basis) and its this person who sets the tone.

we had the same problem where some of our club members totally ignored traffic regulations and some that obeyed them. during the winter months when the group was smaller we enforced the red light stop (even when there was no traffic in the intersection). this was about 4 years ago. since then anyone that joins the City CC ride knows the rule. we stop at red lights and no middle figure to the hooters. and it works becos of peer pressure - no-one wants to get in their ear from 30-40 club members when skipping a red light.

most group rides have someone being in charge of the route etc etc (even on an informal basis) and its this person who sets the tone.

we had the same problem where some of our club members totally ignored traffic regulations and some that obeyed them. during the winter months when the group was smaller we enforced the red light stop (even when there was no traffic in the intersection). this was about 4 years ago. since then anyone that joins the City CC ride knows the rule. we stop at red lights and no middle figure to the hooters. and it works becos of peer pressure - no-one wants to get in their ear from 30-40 club members when skipping a red light.

Simple! This is how it should be done. Peer pressure for a good cause.

I'm one of those "sometimes I do, sometimes I don't" guys.

Early mornings, no traffic around, I tend to ghost over Stop streets and red Traffic lights after making sure no other traffic is approaching. When the roads are busy, I stop where I must. Do not want to give the anti cyclist brigade more ammo. I then also become quite vocal with other cyclist that skips Stop and Traffic lights. Hipocrate!? I dunno so much....

The problem we face in society today is that common sense is definitely not so common anymore! This is the root cause of thinking that deals in absolutes. It's aimed at covering the bases for those amongst us who can't discern when a situation requires a different approach because some common sense needs to be applied to the varying parameters for the similar circumstance that they happen upon.

Mine is still in tact which is why like wannabe I'll almost always correctly choose to do the right thing for the situation but have no hesitation in calling out someone who is being a complete fool and endangering more than just themselves. No hypocrisy there!

Edited by Tubehunter

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously another red traffic light thread? Bottom line, you didn't like what the group that you were with were doing, so don't ride with them again. You are not going to educate / change the behaviour of a group of 20 riders by shouting from the back of the bunch, frankly this would just hack off most riders. Cyclist are going to jump lights, this will never change, same as riding two abreast and the rest of the other petty infractions that people bleat about.

I don't agree that "this will never change"....that's a defeatist attitude, that will never make an impact on the world....maybe I am too much of an idealist, but I believe we have a DUTY to get this to change....