26" Soft Tail to 29" Hard Tail

Mets

Ok, so without trying to re-start the old argument. I would like to get some opinions on this matter.

Last Saturday I had a chance to swap my 4-year old Canaan Comp 26" soft tail for a 15Km ride on a Momsen AL329 29" hard tail that was on loan to a friend.

Unfortunately I was amazed at the difference. I always felt that the 29" thing was a passing fad and was already eyeing a new 26" S/T (Merida 120 XT-D).

The 29" MOVED, it climed so well and the bumps wasn't as bad as I remembered from my 26" hard tail from a couple of years ago.

Is the difference in momentum and climbing ability due to the hard tail nature or to the 29" nature? In other words will I still have the momentum / climbing ability if I should opt for a 29" soft tail?

I can say from what I've experienced on this ride that the 29" absorbed the bumps better than a 26" hard tail and I might be willing to compromise on the "comfort" of the soft tail in order to get the speed from the 29" hard tail.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you "might be willing to compromise on the "comfort"", then the 29er hardtail is the best choice. Yes 29ers are quick because of less rolling resistance over the rough, and hardtails are quick because of direct power transfer. So 29er hardtail is quick X2. Some days I want to hammer the climbs and go as fast as I can, then I use my 29er carbon hardtail, and other days I want to cruise and play, then I use my alu 29er dually - not that the 29er dually is slow, its just that if you like to stand up and hammer, then nothing beats a 29er hardtail.

Being in the same boat, I have some questions of my own on this topic. So Mets, if you don't mind me latching on to this thread, it may be beneficial to us both to combine?

Started looking around - and one of my biggest questions is CF vs Alu? Is it "safe" to go with carbon on a mtb? Coming down OuWapad descend this weekend, I was wondering whether a carbon frame would take kindle to the rocks kicking up and hitting the downtube, etc on the long run - not even beginning to talk "crash testing" it. Or does warranties cover such an incident - and if so, which manufacturers have a good rep on that?

What is the expected price penalty you pay for going carbon with similarly spec'ed bikes of the same brand? E.g. had a look at the Scotts - 940 vs 920. The biggest difference (but for the cf frame) is the wheelset, but the price diffs on the two (esp percentage-wise) is quite significant. It may just be at that shop, so just asking...

Just looking at e.g. Stumpies on the Spez site, only one alu frame, rest of the models are all carbon... so I'm seriously confused. (No haven't even begin enquiring about their prices... nor the GT's, nor the <insert any 5 other brand-names here!>) Simply starting to do some homework and wondering.

End of last year I went from a fairly new Morewood Zula to a Momsen Al729. I only miss the dual on bumpy, rocky fast downhills, but for the rest, I love the 29er. On loose rocky downhills the 29er is more stable at speed. I kept my old 26er hardtail for training, but hate riding that bike now.

I love the simplicity and lower maintenance. 2x10 is also great.

Being in the same boat, I have some questions of my own on this topic. So Mets, if you don't mind me latching on to this thread, it may be beneficial to us both to combine?

Started looking around - and one of my biggest questions is CF vs Alu? Is it "safe" to go with carbon on a mtb? Coming down OuWapad descend this weekend, I was wondering whether a carbon frame would take kindle to the rocks kicking up and hitting the downtube, etc on the long run - not even beginning to talk "crash testing" it. Or does warranties cover such an incident - and if so, which manufacturers have a good rep on that?

What is the expected price penalty you pay for going carbon with similarly spec'ed bikes of the same brand? E.g. had a look at the Scotts - 940 vs 920. The biggest difference (but for the cf frame) is the wheelset, but the price diffs on the two (esp percentage-wise) is quite significant. It may just be at that shop, so just asking...

Just looking at e.g. Stumpies on the Spez site, only one alu frame, rest of the models are all carbon... so I'm seriously confused. (No haven't even begin enquiring about their prices... nor the GT's, nor the <insert any 5 other brand-names here!>) Simply starting to do some homework and wondering.

Feel free to join in. I'm also reluctant to really look at the "plastic" bikes. I'm on a lead bike at the moment, so most of the alu hard tails will be much lighter than my current setup. I'm pretty sure the warranty on the frame will cover breakage, but I can't justify the premium for the weight reduction of a carbon bike at my level of riding.

Thoses Momsens are seriously starting to grow on me. At this early stage of my research it's between the Momsen AL529 and the Merida Big 9 XT-D. Both in the region of R15K.

Here we go again...

Every 29" thread starts like this... " So I don't want start the whole 29er Debate again but......"

End of last year I went from a fairly new Morewood Zula to a Momsen Al729. I only miss the dual on bumpy, rocky fast downhills, but for the rest, I love the 29er. On loose rocky downhills the 29er is more stable at speed. I kept my old 26er hardtail for training, but hate riding that bike now.

I love the simplicity and lower maintenance. 2x10 is also great.

Thanks for the thread - I'm also at a crossroads (26" DS vs. 29" HT - 29" DS is out of my price range).

@Sawdust - in what way is it lower maintenance?

Here we go again...

Every 29" thread starts like this... " So I don't want start the whole 29er Debate again but......"

Just to be clear I'm not trying to sway opinions or influence anybody into buying one or the other. I simply wanted to share my experience and enquire about the difference. A month ago I was dead set on a 26” soft tail and after one 15Km stint I’m not so sure anymore. Some people on this forum can only afford to buy a new bike every couple of years due to income restraints and a wife that needs convincing. This is a cycling forum and that person would be a fool if he didn’t draw on the vast experience (and opinions) of the members before parting with his hard earned cash.

I know from my current experience that my 26” S/T is comfy, but the revelation I had last week, is that I can be much quicker on another bike if I was prepared to sacrifice (a bit of) the comfort. I just want to make sure that I don’t receive another revelation in a couple of month’s time that I could’ve had the speed and the comfort if I opted for a different setup. If I buy, I need to buy right the first time.

It is a hard choice to make.... I am also deciding between a 26" Dually or an 29" HT... I have also read a few threads regarding this topic and my conclusion is:

It depends on what type of riding you want to do,

secondly what you feel comfortable with,

and lastly what look appeals to you.

And if all else fails, flip a coin... :D

if you are 6.4' you are going to look stupid on a 26'. If you are 5.4' you are going to look stupid on a 29' .Figure it out yourself !

I rode a friend's 29er HT a couple of weeks ago and it felt significantly faster and much more racy than my 29er DS. I won't ride a stage race on the HT but for the shorter races I'd say it's perfect. I think Berg Bok has got it all figured out... You need both!

if you are 6.4' you are going to look stupid on a 26'. If you are 5.4' you are going to look stupid on a 29' .Figure it out yourself !

Never thought of myself being 6.5" as looking stupid on a 26" :whistling:

post-7-0-49715300-1349069855_thumb.jpg

It is a hard choice to make.... I am also deciding between a 26" Dually or an 29" HT... I have also read a few threads regarding this topic and my conclusion is:

It depends on what type of riding you want to do,

secondly what you feel comfortable with,

and lastly what look appeals to you.

And if all else fails, flip a coin... :D

Too true

I went from a 26' scalpel to the 29' flash (both carbon dales) and have never looked back

Climbing is better and generaly more stable.......and not toooo bad on comfort.

I did the 36one on her at the begining of the year and survived.

Never thought of myself being 6.5" as looking stupid on a 26" :whistling:

Sorry scotty .didn,t mean to insult you .You look like a 100kg rider .Don,t you loose traction on climbs .Cool pic!I never had a proper 26",only HT .I have 3 29"bikes at the moment .Might consider a 27.5' , but never 26".I am 6.4" tall