26" Soft Tail to 29" Hard Tail

Mets

Sorry scotty .didn,t mean to insult you .You look like a 100kg rider .Don,t you loose traction on climbs .Cool pic!I never had a proper 26",only HT .I have 3 29"bikes at the moment .Might consider a 27.5' , but never 26".I am 6.4" tall

No insult taken :thumbup: Agree on the traction bit, i also have a 29HT" and 29"DS and find they grip better whereas the 26" i tend to either lift the front or skid out the back when going up rocky climbs.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an update on this topic. I took a spin on a buddy's 26" HT this weekend - research.

Still faster than the 26" DS, climbs like a beast (ok, given it is much lighter than my DS), but it is without a doubt more bumpy than the 29" HT.

What gets me is that I'm able to ride on the large / centre chain blade for extended periods of time, where with the DS I would have to drop down to proper granny gear to manage most of the climbs on our route.

I am getting more and more sold on the 29" HT, I haven't done 60Km on one to meassure what is left of my bud and kidneys, but somehow it just feels like the next logical step.

Now: Which 29"HT bike @ R15K MAX. Currently looking at Momsen AL529R and Merida Big 9 XT-D any suggestions or reason to go / not to go for either. Or maybe another bike just to make it even more confusing?

Choose the better groupset and wheels one .Giant ATC 29 also worthwhile considering .Mets your avatar is seriously disturbing me

Edited by Blitzer

End of last year I went from a fairly new Morewood Zula to a Momsen Al729. I only miss the dual on bumpy, rocky fast downhills, but for the rest, I love the 29er. On loose rocky downhills the 29er is more stable at speed. I kept my old 26er hardtail for training, but hate riding that bike now.

I love the simplicity and lower maintenance. 2x10 is also great.

i bought a zula in jan but got tired of always being the first 26" over the line so i bought a sl929 2 weeks ago i like the down to business feel of the 29er but honestly cant wait for the zula frame to get painted so i have it for the base kilometers in december oh and you got great taste in bikes pal

Just an update on this topic. I took a spin on a buddy's 26" HT this weekend - research.

Still faster than the 26" DS, climbs like a beast (ok, given it is much lighter than my DS), but it is without a doubt more bumpy than the 29" HT.

What gets me is that I'm able to ride on the large / centre chain blade for extended periods of time, where with the DS I would have to drop down to proper granny gear to manage most of the climbs on our route.

I am getting more and more sold on the 29" HT, I haven't done 60Km on one to meassure what is left of my bud and kidneys, but somehow it just feels like the next logical step.

Now: Which 29"HT bike @ R15K MAX. Currently looking at Momsen AL529R and Merida Big 9 XT-D any suggestions or reason to go / not to go for either. Or maybe another bike just to make it even more confusing?

dude the profile is disturbing ..... to close to home

I did Knysna 80km's after only having my 29 HT for 3 weeks. I took a bit of strain on the one rocky descent and by the end of the ride my body felt a lot more tired than normal, but I survived and have now decided to use the HT for Berg & Bush (3 stages) as its better at climbing, but more importantly for me, it flies on the flats compared to my 26 DS. While rocky descents are a little bumpy, I've found that the 29 HT is no problem on the singletrack even if there are roots, rocks etc.

If i had to chose one bike, I'd keep the 29 HT and sell the 26 DS. .

Anybody know when the 2013 Titan bikes' prices and full spec (geometry and weight) will be available? The 29 Pro is seriously starting to grow on me and the LBS figures it should come in at around my price point (R15K or less).

Highlights

Shock: Rock Shox Reba RL Taper TK SA 100mm With Poplock

Brakes: Shimano M505 180mm

Chainwheel: Shimano FC-780 (XT)

F/ Dera: Shimano FD-M780 (XT)

R/ Dera: Shimano RD-M780 (XT)

Shifters: Shimano SL M660 (SLX)

Rims: Stans ZTR Arch 32H TL

Hubs: Shimano XT

post-16509-0-87705600-1349333522_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mets

Good day,

I want to buy a new MTB and I am considering a 26” DS or a 29” HT. The thing that an am concerned about is my height for the 29” HT. I am about 1.75m. Is this to short to ride a 29” HT properly or will the 26” DS be better suited for my height?Good day,

I want to buy a new MTB and I am considering a 26” DS or a 29” HT. The thing that an am concerned about is my height for the 29” HT. I am about 1.75m. Is this to short to ride a 29” HT properly or will the 26” DS be better suited for my height?

Rode a 29ér CF Ht @ Sani2Sea. For the record finished in the last third of the field daily. Really enjoyed the ride. No comfort issues.

Anybody know when the 2013 Titan bikes' prices and full spec (geometry and weight) will be available? The 29 Pro is seriously starting to grow on me and the LBS figures it should come in at around my price point (R15K or less).

Highlights

That's a helluva good price for a well kitted bike...

Just to be clear I'm not trying to sway opinions or influence anybody into buying one or the other. I simply wanted to share my experience and enquire about the difference. A month ago I was dead set on a 26” soft tail and after one 15Km stint I’m not so sure anymore. Some people on this forum can only afford to buy a new bike every couple of years due to income restraints and a wife that needs convincing. This is a cycling forum and that person would be a fool if he didn’t draw on the vast experience (and opinions) of the members before parting with his hard earned cash.

I know from my current experience that my 26” S/T is comfy, but the revelation I had last week, is that I can be much quicker on another bike if I was prepared to sacrifice (a bit of) the comfort. I just want to make sure that I don’t receive another revelation in a couple of month’s time that I could’ve had the speed and the comfort if I opted for a different setup. If I buy, I need to buy right the first time.

Remember the 29er you rode was a new bike and you mentioned the Canaan is 4 years old. Although the Canaan was a great bike back then, it is ancient as far as rear suspension is considered.

Before jumping on the bandwagon, try a modern 26" DS and feel it out. I have a Spezzie Epic (Alu frame) which is by no means top of the range and it gives a leka firm ride as far as DS goes, but it's still relaxing on the bum.

Basically what I'm saying: compare (new) apples with (new) apples :thumbup:

Good day,

I want to buy a new MTB and I am considering a 26” DS or a 29” HT. The thing that an am concerned about is my height for the 29” HT. I am about 1.75m. Is this to short to ride a 29” HT properly or will the 26” DS be better suited for my height?

No problem with height on a niner, dude. Guys who are 5ft6 ride niners professionally, and they don't have any issues so no reason why you should.

Regarding the choice - it comes down to what type of riding you do, and what level of comfort you want. If you're looking at doing highly technical stuff, then the DS 6er with a bit more travel will be your go-to option. If, however, you're just going to be tootling along district roads, then the niner may be the best for you.

I would not suggest a niner HT for All Mountain type riding, just like I would not suggest a 140mm travel DS for someone who's going to be racing XCO.

At the end of the day - buy what feels good for you and matches your riding style. Not what the LBS says looks Kief etc.

Highlights

Seriously good looking! :eek:

That's a helluva good price for a well kitted bike...

I have heard they are not particularly light despite being carbon?

I just wondered about the same thing recently..I am going to test ride the pyga oneten for 7 days starting saturday..currently on a 26er hardtail...looking forward to ride a 29er full susser... will keep you posted. expecting the 29er to be more comfy but a bit slower through the technical single tracks..