26" Soft Tail to 29" Hard Tail

Mets

I rode a friend's 29er HT a couple of weeks ago and it felt significantly faster and much more racy than my 29er DS. I won't ride a stage race on the HT but for the shorter races I'd say it's perfect. I think Berg Bok has got it all figured out... You need both!

Agree. My 29" HT was killing my back at Mankele the weekend. I'm now at a point where a Giant Anthem X 29" sounds like a good option.

Half Marathon , Marathon racing = 29" HT

Stage Racing = 29" FS

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard they are not particularly light despite being carbon?

Meh. I'm the last one who should be worried about weight!

Still a good price for a fully XT kitted bike with a Tapered REBA up front...

Meh. I'm the last one who should be worried about weight!

Still a good price for a fully XT kitted bike with a Tapered REBA up front...

I'm with you on that, 'my weight problem is not on the bike' :thumbup: - they also look pretty good!

This one is the alu version, the plastic bikes will be out of my price range. The paint jobs on Titan's 2013 bikes are VERY nice. I'm currently trying to decide between the pictured bike and the 2013 Merida Big 9 TFS XT-D. They have very similar specs, but I can't get hold of the Titan's weight, geometry or price. I visited a couple of shops and they all confirmed the ETA for the Titans is 15/10/2012. If they weigh the same and cost the same, I'll opt for the Titan (solely based on the looks - the Merida doesn't "move" me like the Titan), if the Titan is heavier but costs less, I'll still go for the Titan. Or is there something wrong with my logic(or lack of it?)

Check out the Titan 29 Race - A bit lower specced (Manitou fork etc.) - but look at it, it sommer looks quick :drool:

post-16509-0-04527600-1349955836_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mets

I bought a Momsen 529 a week ago. Have only had short rides (20-30km) with it, but feels fantastic! The specs are about the same as the 2013 Titan Pro would be with the XT/SLX mix, Stan's Crest wheels and some lekka tyres... Bought mine new for under 13k... That seriously good value for money!

I'm loving my new HT 29er, coming from a very heavy 26er dualie!

Remember the 29er you rode was a new bike and you mentioned the Canaan is 4 years old. Although the Canaan was a great bike back then, it is ancient as far as rear suspension is considered.

Before jumping on the bandwagon, try a modern 26" DS and feel it out. I have a Spezzie Epic (Alu frame) which is by no means top of the range and it gives a leka firm ride as far as DS goes, but it's still relaxing on the bum.

Basically what I'm saying: compare (new) apples with (new) apples :thumbup:

totally.. how much does your canaan weigh? you can get bloody good deals on 2nd hand 26" kit these days.

Good day,

I want to buy a new MTB and I am considering a 26” DS or a 29” HT. The thing that an am concerned about is my height for the 29” HT. I am about 1.75m. Is this to short to ride a 29” HT properly or will the 26” DS be better suited for my height?Good day,

I want to buy a new MTB and I am considering a 26” DS or a 29” HT. The thing that an am concerned about is my height for the 29” HT. I am about 1.75m. Is this to short to ride a 29” HT properly or will the 26” DS be better suited for my height?

Two words- Burry Stander

I rode a Pyga 29" and bike felt perfect. Climbed better than with my medium spec 26".

totally.. how much does your canaan weigh? you can get bloody good deals on 2nd hand 26" kit these days.

A freaking ton and it seems to get heavier as soon as the gradient increases cursing.gif

Anybody know when the 2013 Titan bikes' prices and full spec (geometry and weight) will be available? The 29 Pro is seriously starting to grow on me and the LBS figures it should come in at around my price point (R15K or less).

Highlights

Shock: Rock Shox Reba RL Taper TK SA 100mm With Poplock

Brakes: Shimano M505 180mm

Chainwheel: Shimano FC-780 (XT)

F/ Dera: Shimano FD-M780 (XT)

R/ Dera: Shimano RD-M780 (XT)

Shifters: Shimano SL M660 (SLX)

Rims: Stans ZTR Arch 32H TL

Hubs: Shimano XT

post-16509-0-87705600-1349333522_thumb.jpg

Sooo, I just ordered one of these bad boys! Expecting it on Wednesday. I can honestly not wait!

What sort of price did this one come in at? What was the difference for the yellow somme quick looking one smile.png

I'm getting the Titan 29Pro for just over R14K and that is the top Alu bike - the yellow is the 29 Race and it's second from the top. Major differences are Pro = Mostly XT (except for brakes & Shifters), ZTR Rims & RS Reba RL fork, the Race = XT / SLX mix, WM Disc Bull Rims and Manitou fork.

The race should come in between R10K & R13K I assume - great value for money bikes

I'm getting the Titan 29Pro for just over R14K and that is the top Alu bike - the yellow is the 29 Race and it's second from the top. Major differences are Pro = Mostly XT (except for brakes & Shifters), ZTR Rims & RS Reba RL fork, the Race = XT / SLX mix, WM Disc Bull Rims and Manitou fork.

The race should come in between R10K & R13K I assume - great value for money bikes

May I ask why you did not go for the 2012 Carbon race29? R 14.8k

May I ask why you did not go for the 2012 Carbon race29? R 14.8k

Not to keen on the plastic bikes, I sometimes tinker on the bike myself and I couldn't bare the thought of hearing a frame crack under an over-torqued bolt or clamp - other than that no real reason.

I'm going from a heavy dualie and never even considered a carbon bike, the weight I'm saving is fine for my level of riding - that is a good price for the Race though. I was offered a 2012 Carbon Pro for R16 500, but wanted the Aluminium.

Thanks Mets!

One more day... give us a detailed update once you have the steed!

For that money I also reckon you made the right choice, NICELY Specced

The Titan has landed. Thanks to Jacques Marais from Omega Cycles in Eloff. Great price and even better service = respect.

The bike is awesome, came with XT shifters (not SLX) as advertised and Avid Elixir 5 brakes (not Shimano M505), so two nice upgrades. I managed a quick 28km after I got home and it's smiles all around. The colour is a nice metallic red, which brings me to the only minor negative for me : the paint job could have been better, there are a few small pits and specs baked into the paintwork that you probably won't find on more expensive bikes, but this is something I can live with. The bike looks stunning and it runs like a dream. I can definitely recommend it.

Compulsory sofa shot

post-16509-0-69534100-1351093355_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mets

I just wondered about the same thing recently..I am going to test ride the pyga oneten for 7 days starting saturday..currently on a 26er hardtail...looking forward to ride a 29er full susser... will keep you posted. expecting the 29er to be more comfy but a bit slower through the technical single tracks..

Expect to soon fork out some cash on a new bike!