[Event] Cradle Quest 2012

GrootSeun

I tell ya I am a broken man!

Well done for giving it a go Kosmo, I had a similar experience a few years back with an extremely sticky Hill2Hill, that started in the rain and had glue mud in the first 30km. not much fun, so glad I skipped it yesterday.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the 38km and had a real hard time. It took me over 4 1/2 hours to complete where I normally do it in just under 2 hours. I had to replace both my front and rear disc pads. Complete worn away to the metal. The mud was bad and I think is was worse for us back markers whistling.gif due to everyone that was ahead of us really making the mud worse. The last 6 kms by the river was the worst took me over an hour to complete, had to stop every couple of meters to clear the mud from the bike. Also nearly got lost due to no route markers, just after we turned off the tar road. Glad it is over will do it again only if there is no mud. I also found that this event was poorly organised for the price that we had to pay. There was also a 14 year old who broke his rear derailer and has to pust his bike for the last couple of km to the finish. No medals cursing.gif and for the price of the event.

post-26616-0-86375100-1353837322_thumb.jpgI’m still crying the worst race in my life.26km in 2 hours(76km in 5:38 I think ,not official) .6km wrong turn.35km without any brakes had to use trees, grass, fences and body to stop. Bruses and wounds all over. Bike is a mess. No medal, no cooldrink, it was my first and last no way will I do the race again. Why do people think if they cut the grass and leave everything else as is it’s a MTB track? I think the rout was bad not for my liking. Well done to all the hubbers that started and finished hats off to all of you.

Next question:Who's brakes made it to the end I want to buy the best that there is any advise XT not good

Edited by Pieterg

MUD, MUD, MUD,MUD, Glorious mud!!

Did the short route 40.78km (started as 35 and told at the maybe 38.5?? Who's guess)

Was supposed to do the 70km, thanks to those organizers stating it will start at 8. Delayed 30mins. A blessing however!

Jcza, how did you get a water? Better treasure that medal!

Put it down to good training, fitness bike skills and another day at the big VG, All good!

P.S apologies only saw the castle light sponsor riders posting last night, otherwise would have come past.

Ok, should have packed up yesterday morning when we arrived(as my wife requested) but decided to push through and do the "35km" and I must say, NEVER AGAIN. I should have joined the alcoholics having beer at 06:45.

A part of me really enjoyed the race as the conditions brought something that you don't get every day but another part of me was crying as I heard my bike eat itself while calculating how much "that" part it going to cost to replace... (check out the pic)

To the organisers, Don't pat yourself on the back, Don't dismiss remarks on this tread as emotional outburst's from people who don't understand that you don't have control over the weather and PLEASE, DON'T organize another race ever again!

A MTB event isn't a quick score to make some extra cash before Dec holidays. It requires careful planning, backup plans in case of extreme conditions and know how from people who understand what entrants want and expect. In case you are allowed to ever organize another event take the following and remember it:

- You need to have a proper backup/sweep vehicle. Not a snot nose laaitie who thinks he is there to ride his scrambler for the fun of it. Always think worst case scenario and ask yourself what would have happened if the last rider had a bad fall, bite from a snake or a heart attack and there was no sweep vehicle???

- You need more people on the track, especially when it rained like it did and when you mark the route like your a$$.

- You need to mark the route more regularly and more visible.

- Your toilets were disgusting. And you do get rentals that are in better shape!

- If you say a route is 35km's, make sure it is 35km's and not more...

- You can use a little bit more imagination at the finish line. Doesn't really feel like a finish.

- Goody bag, Medal, T-Shirt, anything except a little bottle of water.

For a R150-00 there are quite a few cheaper races around that offer better routes, are better organised, safer, more enjoyable, goodie bag, a medal and a drink with sugar and electrolytes at the end. You might have had a lekker score in 2012 but I guarantee you this race will never see me again, and I bet I'm not the only one that feels this way.

post-34994-0-70777300-1353853939_thumb.jpg

They could have used a calendar instead of a watch to measure the times.

After cleaning my bike again today I cannot believe all the grass wound around pulleys etc. Reading the posts I can understand why.

post-32242-0-00798200-1353872372_thumb.jpg

Well done for giving it a go Kosmo, I had a similar experience a few years back with an extremely sticky Hill2Hill, that started in the rain and had glue mud in the first 30km. not much fun, so glad I skipped it yesterday.

Thanks, there is a fine line between bravery and foolishness!

First time I see my name amongst the DNF's but couldn't really justify the continued punishment after doing the big climbs and extremely muddy descent.

And here's something else about Lefties: no mud clog up front :)

I think our Wimpy breakfasts was a better idea!!

Oh yeah! Wimpy did the trick! Was really disappointed when we decided to call it, but reading this thread gives me all the reassurance that I need.

Big up to all the finishers!

Hee Hee and people thought that 6:45 beer lookrd odd. Done a few races like that before and I just didn't feel like re-building my bike this week and paying out money for more parts (Considering the GF's bike is virtually brand new would have been it's first ride). On the bright side the beers were nice and cold and wimpy breakfast hit the spot. I also managed a very stratnge thing, I went home and had a mid day nap knowing my bike was all clean and ready to ride on Sunday. clap.gif

Big up to the guys that finished, especially those 70km nutters. I reckon they should have postponed the race for another weekend, but suppose it is easy to say that when your not an organiser.

Hee Hee and people thought that 6:45 beer lookrd odd. Done a few races like that before and I just didn't feel like re-building my bike this week and paying out money for more parts (Considering the GF's bike is virtually brand new would have been it's first ride). On the bright side the beers were nice and cold and wimpy breakfast hit the spot. I also managed a very stratnge thing, I went home and had a mid day nap knowing my bike was all clean and ready to ride on Sunday. clap.gif

Big up to the guys that finished, especially those 70km nutters. I reckon they should have postponed the race for another weekend, but suppose it is easy to say that when your not an organiser.

your sissie did well hey, 1st woman on a SS nogals. Well done!

What happened to wade?

What happened to wade?

I must admit, my breakfast, with the extra cheese griller, large coffee was brilliant.

Thanks Wimpy. thumbup1.gif

What happened to wade?

Yeah first woman overall on 35km but she cheated by using a SS bike ha ha. As she said no chain suck unlike her son. Wade was leading on the 35km by over 5 min, gears jammed (no dounbt chain suck) and he crashed. Cracked the top tube on the carbon bike, so he limped home to finish. I told him he should have brought his dad's Trek 69er SS bike......

Arrived early, waited for registration, used the bad loos, rain started in earnest, got back in car and went home.

Soo glad i made that call.

Lesson: listen to your gut ( especially when toilets are not good)

Edited by D Vader

Arrived early, waited for registration, used the bad loos, rain started in earnest, got back in car and went home.

I listened to my gut...you should have stopped at wimpy with us....1 farmhouse and a mega coffee please aunty. njom njom njom

The toilets in that place are in a shocking state at the best of times.