What to eat?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wrong thread

I was like :blink:

I think its also important how often you are eating, small and regular being the better option I am led to believe.

I've heard that a lot, gonna try and do that. I heard peanuts help while riding as well?

Bananas are nice nice theoretically, but they sometimes go black and mushy on long rides, and then I lose my appetite for them completely, which doesn't help my hunger?

Did that on my commute this morning, but it was already going south, my commute is not that long.

Edited by Catatonic_Joe

The trick is to get slightly green ones. By the time you want to eat it, it's perfect.

OK, that sounds like an actual answer :thumbup:

I will proably get flammed for saying this, but on longer rides/races, I take a small bottle of 50% whey protein and 50% recover drink (muscle works products). freeze it, then slowly sip it during the ride.

Seems to work for me.

May not work for everybody.

Marmite isn't a brand name? Must be difficult carrying a bottle of that stuff in your back pocket :ph34r:

Worth it if you bump into an Auzzie to shove down his throat if he breathes a word of Vegemite your direction

Worth it if you bump into an Auzzie to shove down his throat if he breathes a word of Vegemite your direction

Agreed. I like Aussies, but vegemite breath ruins my day.

I'm no expert but my take would be it's not so much about what you eat but making sure you do eat something.

I normally take something per hour if it's a ride longer than 3 hours and make sure to eat something on the hour every hour (starting on the first hour not when you get hungry). Helps to 'alternate' i.e not only take bananas but maybe a banana and sarmie (peanut butter and jam). Initially I sometimes eat just half the banana or sarmie in the beginning.

On training rides I use water only but I guess an energy drink again that you drink regularly from the start is good.

I have never been on a ride long enough for a banana to go black if I start with it yellow ..... and I have been out for some long ass rides

But ja as others have said 'that's just me' !

I have never been on a ride long enough for a banana to go black if I start with it yellow ..... and I have been out for some long ass rides

Try some 6-8 hour rides on the road, in summer. That'll cook more than a banana...

Try some 6-8 hour rides on the road, in summer. That'll cook more than a banana...

If you leave at 10am I guess, lazy ass!

If you leave at 10am I guess, lazy ass!

When you're paid to ride, why leave earlier?

Nutella is the way foward!!!

Yummy - on a hot slice of toast with some koffie before an early morning ride...

Nutella is the way foward!!!

Tastes nice, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that Nutella is 50% sugar and has quite a high fat (palm oil) content.