The solution to (drunk) motorists killing other road users? Opinions/Suggestions:

Bennie Dikwiel

He he. Yip - the News24ers have other manly hobbies apart from whinging and whining.

I only read the News24 comments when I'm feeling excessively positive about anything and need my optimism checked.

:lol:

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully this will make some people think twice before getting in a car when they are drunk.

Problem is it doesn't. I'm seeing more and more stuff like this. Guys driving around drinking and nobody to challenge them to stop. Guys coming home drunk at 6/7/8am, carrying on drinking all morning and going off again later in their cars.

Just think how much broken glass (bottles) you have to avoid on your bike.

How do you stop them? They're gone by the time you pick up your phone to call the cops (who'll do what??) and no traffic cops ANYWHERE between 5pm Friday and 8am Monday.

This is seriously bothering me because I KNOW guys who are doing this and what if they kill/maim someone? I feel I should do more to make it an issue at least with the traffic cops. And when they say they don't have budget (or whatever) to work the hours when we really need them, at least get the local media involved/whatever.

Why do we always have to be reactive? It's too late then. I was part of a lot of noise after one of our community died like this but nothing changes because we don't keep focused on what needs to be done: get some POLICING going, at least! Why aren't there road blocks early in the early morning?? Things won't change unless we figure out what's wrong, what needs to change and how we can all get involved.

It's really sad that it seems those who know this guy (who in my view is a murderer) say they're not surprised. It means there were points along the way where he should have been stopped - but instead...

Can Cycling South Africa not start fighting for the rights on South African cyclists on the roads. Its about time that the biggest growing sport in the country gets some support from government.

If they can look after the interests of cyclists in Europe, why then not in SA???

i see the cape argus has released a list of 50 odd people convicted for drunk driving as part of a name and shame campaign.last week i came from a wedding and there was this oke as pissed as a skunk getting into his car about to leave.i told him i did not think he should be driving.i even offered him a lift home,but he declined.i did not know him that well,but we have spoken a few times in the past.to make a long story short,i took his keys and threw it so far into the veld i think he is still looking for it now.my condolences to a fellow biker to clem.

Photo of the driver. André Gouws.

His mother resides in Beachview and he was most probably on his way there to hide his vehicle.

He looks pretty hammered on that pikcha too.

.i took his keys and threw it so far into the veld i think he is still looking for them now.

cool

Can Cycling South Africa not start fighting for the rights on South African cyclists on the roads. Its about time that the biggest growing sport in the country gets some support from government.

If they can look after the interests of cyclists in Europe, why then not in SA???

Bahahahhahahahhaha.......!!!

BAHAHAHAHHAHAHA......

Zabel.....surely you are experienced enought to know this is not an option......?

Indeed the people who do this kind of act are typically a type and the more they get away with irresponsibly drinking and driving the worse they behave! I still don't understand why cops don't just camp outside well known pubs and clubs and do the necessary that way. Should be far cheaper and more efficient than a formal road block.

Edited by Tubehunter

Should be effing Murder

I agree 100%

But intent must be proved. So instead of placing a charge on paper where the prosecutor won't be able to prove it and the killer might go free, he must be charged with culpable homocide. But the prosecutor must ask for aggravated circumstances, which will bring it on par with a murder sentence.

What annoys me about our legal system and drunken driving charges, is that the person is charged with the DUI, but if fact that he took a decision to get hammered and he knows he will do something reckless, stupid, against the law, if he's above the limit, is thrown out the window.

Condolences to the family.

Photo of the driver. André Gouws.

His mother resides in Beachview and he was most probably on his way there to hide his vehicle.

Papa vag vir jou!

I agree 100%

But intent must be proved. So instead of placing a charge on paper where the prosecutor won't be able to prove it and the killer might go free, he must be charged with culpable homocide. But the prosecutor must ask for aggravated circumstances, which will bring it on par with a murder sentence.

What annoys me about our legal system and drunken driving charges, is that the person is charged with the DUI, but if fact that he took a decision to get hammered and he knows he will do something reckless, stupid, against the law, if he's above the limit, is thrown out the window.

Condolences to the family.

By getting behind the wheel in that state he clearly didn't intend getting home safely

Why blame the liquor stores, have you heard of drink responsibly?

Have always found the statement “drinking responsibly”somewhat of an oxymoron.

As a central nervous system depressant, it is a drug responsible for the main drug problem in SA and binge drinking is the style of drinking that is now the norm amongst many teens.

Why are we in SA “pussyfooting”around alcohol issues ? No drinking is the safest rule and is now being advocated Internationally.

I noticed the Accident occured on the Driver side, this guy must of been pretty f'ed while driving on wrong side of the road and still had a head on with the Cyclist, for that he should not even have a trial... Like the other Hubber said, Papa wag vir hom...

Condolences to the Family, and may he RIP..

Edited by Devm10

As a central nervous system depressant, it is a drug responsible for the main drug problem in SA and binge drinking is the style of drinking that is now the norm amongst many teens.

Why are we in SA “pussyfooting”around alcohol issues ? No drinking is the safest rule and is now being advocated Internationally.

Zero Tolerance should be the law, however bombing liquor outlets is not the answers, next you'll be bombing cell phone providers as they are the cause of many accidents.

I enjoy the odd drink, but act responsibly when I have had a few. Every heard of Goodfellas.

you do realise that prohibition was tried and failed previously . All it brought was bootleggers and gangs .... being deprived of sleep has a similar effect but that doesnt stop taxi drivers/truck drivers ect.

I think we can safely say people will always drink like they do in europe (in fact they start earlier and drive faster) but we need a reliable alternative as well. I think drivers (people) in general have a very low EQ and lack personal responbility (generalization i know).

The fact that this doesnt get prosecuted properly adds to the problem

Beachview ! strange , i got taken out by a resident of Beachview last year who also felt he did not need to stick around until stopped by witnesses ! in fact chose to threaten me when i advised him I found it unbelievable that he did not even bother to check if i was ok.

The best part is his advocates opinion which states that "without warning i appeared". although he could have had sighting of me if he had just bothered to look before entering the through road! Its time a clear message gets sent to motorists that they dont own the road, but share it with other users! I accept accidents happen, but what happened to Clem is not acceptable! the Driver got into that car knowing he was breaking the law and ends up robbing a family of a father and husband, lets pray that the law gets it right this time, not like to many other cases were they have been allowed to walk free, examples Reg Haupt in CT and the guy that killed the cyclists in George.