Bad news: Phil has signed a new contract

petatodd

I quite liked Danny Pate's response to Phils eminent professor sms comment...

@TheDPate: Got an SMS from a secondary person about a guy who I'm not even sure of his name... BUT he said unicorns poop cupcakes, must be true

Must say I tend to agree its proabably time Phil retires but I do also agree with Eugene on him being a big SA supporter - so he gets a :thumbup: from me for that.

Edited by dracs

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with GOG that Matty Keenan is tops. His insights through often having spoken to riders and teams, many of whom he knows personally, and several of whom he rode with in Melbourne, are great and not just a regurgitation of what is available in the route handbook or interweb.

I must disagree though regarding Paddy Agnew on the Giro in years gone by. I could not tolerate him and would rather turn the sound off entirely. His use of "um, err, arrgh" would drive me crazy, although that might just have been his Irish :whistling: . Only the fool on TV who thinks he is a Formula 1 expert (i.e. I can read off the internet) makes more use of "um" as a verbal crutch.

Back to the Phil & Paul show. Respect for them as they have gotten many people over the years introduced to cycling via their coverage of the TdF and for those who have not followed the Tour for the last 20 years it doesn't seem so bad. Also, while they are great fans of South Africa, their RSA focus during commentary is often during region specific cross overs where between them, they do short specific commentaries for each country receiving their feed. However it is time for fresh blood as I think they spend too much time opening their suitcases of cliches.

Note: my opinion of Phil did go back up again briefly at last years Tour of California when he was caught swearing like a sailor before he knew the mike was on at the start of one of the highlights shows. MNet clearly don't watch or listen to their content as this was repeated with every one of the scheduled repeats. :eek:

I said about two years ago on this forum that it was time for Phil to retire and got flamed for it. He was already then the Murray Walker of cycling making some really bad mistakes pretty much just like in the Tour of Beijing this year. They retire people in the normal world at 65 for a reason.

True that, staying on is eroding the respect he built up over decades.

He spoke on a tour i was on last month and its getting so he's going through the motions.

His recent LA comments are completely pathetic.

I also had the impression that he's no fan of Robbie Hunter.

interesting. I thought he was a big fan of robbie, as SA is his second home. He always has plenty to say about RH whenever he's in picture

Hi gents,

He may not be the best anymore but he still has my respect for what he has done for the sport.

Regards

Sarge

Note: my opinion of Phil did go back up again briefly at last years Tour of California when he was caught swearing like a sailor before he knew the mike was on at the start of one of the highlights shows. MNet clearly don't watch or listen to their content as this was repeated with every one of the scheduled repeats. eek.gif

:lol: - Ha, Ha, did he really?? I didnt hear it, but it must have been super embarrassing for him. :lol:

My 2c worth, Phil Liggett is a legend, albeit getting old. He's a great cycling (and South African) ambassador, and a gentleman.

I hear you guys when you say you might be tired of hearing him, but I think he really set the 'bar' which others measure by.

The guy's worked hard all his life to be top of his game, let him fade with dignity.

Cheers,

yeah you're right and he's probably one of the most gutted people at the moment since he has been defending LA publicly for years. This has got to sting worse than Day of Cape Pioneer

Phil Ligget is a legend and he needs a little more respect. Say what you want, he is highly respected in the cycling world and takes every opportunity to support South Africa and to "punt" South African teams and riders in the events he commentates on.

We are lucky to have him here. His commentary indirectly does more to promote our cyclists than anyone else.

Bollocks, we pay well for the privilege of hearing his geriatric ramblings. Any commentator would cover South African teams and riders in the events he commentates on WHEN they are at a South African event. Duh?

Back to the Phil & Paul show. Respect for them as they have gotten many people over the years introduced to cycling via their coverage of the TdF and for those who have not followed the Tour for the last 20 years it doesn't seem so bad. Also, while they are great fans of South Africa, their RSA focus during commentary is often during region specific cross overs where between them, they do short specific commentaries for each country receiving their feed. However it is time for fresh blood as I think they spend too much time opening their suitcases of cliches.

PnP or just the daily live coverage with some great scenery and a guide book of the significant historical landmarks?

True that, staying on is eroding the respect he built up over decades.

He spoke on a tour i was on last month and its getting so he's going through the motions.

His recent LA comments are completely pathetic.

His manlove of Armstrong has been a real grater for so many years now but my real issue is the repetitive nature of his commentary.

Who doesn't know about Jean Stalinski and Arenberg yet?

Hi gents,

He may not be the best anymore but he still has my respect for what he has done for the sport.

Regards

Sarge

In the same way so many of the world's leaders stay past their use by date?

My 2c worth, Phil Liggett is a legend, albeit getting old. He's a great cycling (and South African) ambassador, and a gentleman.

I hear you guys when you say you might be tired of hearing him, but I think he really set the 'bar' which others measure by.

The guy's worked hard all his life to be top of his game, let him fade with dignity.

Cheers,

Have you ever listened to real commentators calling the cycling? See next quote?

let him fade with dignity? I wish he would but his ego is getting in the way.

David Harmon and Sean Kelly on Eurosport are excellent. No comparison it must be said.

Worth using the bandwidth and the hassle of syncing the feed to the HD pictures.

But it's not only the guys doing the commentary, it's also the interviews, the background and the studio experts who complete the package.

Perhaps someone should send this link to whoever Phil signed the contract with so that they know how silly the man appears so they can release/fire him.

Maybe a bit off topic but I just could not resist -

"surely if the Hub is anything to go by they..."

Seriously? The place where everybody slower than you is an a-hole, everybody faster than you is an a-hole, everybody who rides 26" is an a-hole, everybody who rides 29" is an a-hole, everybody who likes Armstrong is an a-hole, everybody who hates Armstrong is an a-hole? And there is really somebody out there who would consider this a measuring stick for what?

Oh and Phil is my man.

The place where everybody slower than you is an a-hole, everybody faster than you is an a-hole, everybody who rides 26" is an a-hole, everybody who rides 29" is an a-hole, everybody who likes Armstrong is an a-hole, everybody who hates Armstrong is an a-hole?

You forgot "everyone who doesn't like cwc and/or asg is an a-hole". This is the hub, remember.